New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I find the Vios in a different category vs the MZ3. If not for the comparable engine of these two, I'd choose the MZ3 anytime.

IMO, MZ3 has more lux than the vios.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Automatic to be used by wife, driver/kids and most likely for my color coding...
    Maintenance - plus or minus, I can tolerate... basta Japanese level pricing (No Euro price)... same with the Gasoline... Im not buying any 6cylinder car anyway...
    Get the Mazda 3, if only for more space (for the kids) and as I quote "it really feels better inside, out".

Though, personally I'd choose the Vios for myself. I fancy the fuel economy plus good acceleration.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Tama, d ka level. Mazda3 mas match sa Civic. So Mazda3 na.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    i think it boils down to what you're after...or what you're looking for....

fuel economy or comfort & mas me dating?

If it's just for daily driving for the wife and kids....hmm i'll go with the Vios....but it's just me

Medyo a little cramp din naman un rear ng MZ3...imho

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    I'm sure you have reasons why you don't want to settle for a Honda but they do have a competitive line-up to consider.

For starters, if you want a very affordable sedan sans the safety features then go for the City 1.3 S CVT at PHP 665,000.00 . Adding a more powerful VTEC and safety features then go for the City 1.5 V CVT (w/ SRS and ABS) at PHP 745,000.00 .

This is probably a long shot as per your budget, but if you really want a sedan sans any safety features, then go the Civic 1.8 V AT at PHP 817,000.00 .

I have to agree, the MZ3 is not that spacious esp. the back seat. However, I find that it (MZ3) has a better driving position (at least to me) compared to the FD Civic, which has a big steering column and steering wheel sticking out. This awkward arrangement position the steering wheel too close and forcing one to sit further away from the floor pedals (which is an impediment if a person is vertically challenged).

But if it were just downt to the MZ3 and the new Vios, then I will settle for the MZ3. The MZ3 has a better looking body overall. I like its driving position and dash layout except for the dash integrated audio system (which can be a bum to upgrade or at least replace). The front seats are positioned quite high so passengers at the back may feel dwarfed by this.

In terms of safety, for the FRONTAL OFFSET TEST both cars got a rating of "GOOD" from the IIHS.

Mazda 3 2004-07 models FRONTAL OFFSET TEST

Toyota Yaris 2007 models FRONTAL OFFSET TEST

As for the SIDE IMPACT TEST, since both cars will likely never come equipped with side airbags, both got a rating of "POOR" from the IIHS.

Mazda 3 2005-07 models SIDE IMPACT TEST

Toyota Yaris 2007 models SIDE IMPACT TEST

Bottomline: Safety-wise, as with all things constant (or when both vehicles are similarly equipped in terms of safety features), both vehicles are on equal footing.
    Last edited by number001; July 20th, 2007 at 10:56 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flex
    Medyo a little cramp din naman un rear ng MZ3...imho
    True, I always pictured the Mazda 3 sedan as the Focus's stylish but less practically styled cousin.
    Small rear doors, small trunk opening, slightly less rear leg-room etc.

Toyota Vios 1.5G A/T

Max Power: 107 hp * 6000 rpm
    Max Torque: 142 Nm * 4200 rpm
    Transmission: 4-speed A/T
    Curb weight: 1055 kg (Yaris 1.5 sedan A/T)
    Safety features: Dual SRS Airbags and ABS with EBD

Mazda 3 1.6 A/T

Max Power: 104 hp * 6000 rpm
    Max Torque: 145 Nm * 4000 rpm
    Transmission: 4-speed A/T
    Curb weight: 1240 kg
    Safety features: Driver's Airbag

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Well, at least regarding the small trunk opening, what I did was get the hatch

Not as flexible as the Jazz in terms of cargo space (no ULT seats) and much less fuel-efficient as well but much better looking in my opinion.. form wins over function.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    T-A-X-I, I'm sorry but Toyata shafted VIOS owners bigtime with that one... promising VIOS won't be a fleet car... yeah right.

Anyway, if that doesn't mar the experience for you... just pimp it out I guess. I love the VIOS with the FLAMING front decal... that was shinitz when I first saw it on the road...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Thanks guys... all your inputs did cross my mind...

Was already set for the Vios... its only when I saw the Mazda (displayed in Greenhills a few weeks ago) that made me think twice...

Vios for me is good value... the AT version however a bit overpriced (thats marketing for you)... the reason why im considering other models...

I dont want to add to the confusion but can I also add the Yaris AT version in the equation?...

was surprised that its actually cheaper than the Vios... What I know hatch is more expensive when created equal (both AT and both 1.5 liters... and both have dual airbags!)... like Jazz/City... Mazd3/Hatch

So it seems that the Yaris is better value than the Vios (in AT form)... my only hesitation is that it will be used by the driver as well... para kasing kapag hatch dapat personally driven

Just my own thoughts... still have time anyway...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    I think the best solution to your dilemma is to test drive the units. i've been using a Vios 1.5G A/T for almost 4 years now as a daily driver and i haven't had any problems with it. The only major mechanical problems i had was wheel alignment but that is a problem with the condition of our roads more than anything.
    Also, how many kids do you have? if you only have 3 and below, the space wouldn't really be much of an issue if you chose the mazda 3, the vios & the yaris.
    Last edited by bender; July 23rd, 2007 at 02:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
new vios AT vs facelifted Mazda3 (entry level)