New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT: kapitbahay ko si totoy?
    *coiter: masakit neto baka pati pang gasolina penge kay papa at mama.

*CVT: Pro Deo Et Patria... Nakausap ko na si Ms. Domingo...

Ika nga "Image is nothing..."

I always encounter lots of guys like that everyday (I work in IT Consulting) wherein newly grads always tend to ask for high compensation na wala pang experience or wala pang proven track record. Imagine people going here applying for a helpdesk position asking for 35k/month + allowance? My advice to them? Do your work properly muna. Exhibit the right attitude and do not let success go over your heads. Financial and social rewards will follow..

Note: i am not envious, for i also have my own share of success. Yoko lang nung ganung idea and practice. I really don't care if the parents are rich or not, but tingin ko kasi by asking for a really expensive car as a grad gift (take note, grad gift pa lang...wala pang bar exams) is really going overboard. If i am the parent, i will not consent. I would want to have my kid value the hard work to success.

but then, its just me....i was raised by my parents to be that way even though medyo maluwag naman kami sa buhay before.

teka, baka ot na.... tigil na ko.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    hintayin ang bagong mazda6! kung hindi kayang mag intay, camry na. kasi unless maging bar top-notcher sya or may ari sila ng law firm, i doubt na makakakuha sya agad ng high paying, high profile position. so stick with a "low maintenance" car. unless of course e magulang pa rin nya magmimaintain ng auto.

another OT: bro, most bar topnotchers belong to middle class or the lower class families. these students know the value of hard work as i've mentioned in my previous posts. that is why they want to make it good from the start. and most of them, end up as only associates muna or teaching law.

kung anak ni angara yan or ni pimentel or ni teehankee or ni frank chavez, pwede...

but to site an example, i have lots of lawyer friends who are really established na in the business. some of them are partners na and some of them have niches na in the corporate world, but they only drive in pajeros, in crvs or in civics. pag tinatanong ko sila bakit ayaw nila ng mga high profile cars, ang sinasagot sa akin, mahirap daw mag drive around ng high profile car, unless you are Frank Chavez, wherein booking fee pa lang, five figures na agad.
    Last edited by 1D4LV; February 22nd, 2008 at 12:22 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    palagay ko nga may current car na yung friend nung TS.. so kung ako yun.. eh pagtyagaan ko muna yun.. di pa nga naman napasa nang Bar..

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    OT: kapitbahay ko si totoy?
    *coiter: masakit neto baka pati pang gasolina penge kay papa at mama.

*CVT: Pro Deo Et Patria... Nakausap ko na si Ms. Domingo...

Ika nga "Image is nothing..."

I always encounter lots of guys like that everyday (I work in IT Consulting) wherein newly grads always tend to ask for high compensation na wala pang experience or wala pang proven track record. Imagine people going here applying for a helpdesk position asking for 35k/month + allowance? My advice to them? Do your work properly muna. Exhibit the right attitude and do not let success go over your heads. Financial and social rewards will follow..

Note: i am not envious, for i also have my own share of success. Yoko lang nung ganung idea and practice. I really don't care if the parents are rich or not, but tingin ko kasi by asking for a really expensive car as a grad gift (take note, grad gift pa lang...wala pang bar exams) is really going overboard. If i am the parent, i will not consent. I would want to have my kid value the hard work to success.

but then, its just me....i was raised by my parents to be that way even though medyo maluwag naman kami sa buhay before.

teka, baka ot na.... tigil na ko.
    I agree. I graduated from college and I also earned my Master's Degree because of my parents. That was well enough for me so I didn't ask for anything for my two graduations. After 6 years of very hard work as an IT professional (I'm now 28 yrs old!), I can now finally buy my own brand new Civic (next week na). The feeling is very overwhelming because this will be my first car, it is brand new, and I will buy it using 100% of my own hard-earned cash.

Back to the topic: As suggested earlier, I also recommend waiting for the new Mazda 6. It kicks the *$$ of the Accord.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Ako nga nung makapasa ako ng CPA board dati, wala as in wala. Gift na raw nila yung pagpapaaral sa akin nyahahaha. Sarap ng kotseng sariling pawis ang pinanggalingan. No offense sa TS ha, kuro kuro lang to. hehehe

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    well, agree ako sa lahat ng mga OG's dito. maganda pa din pag galing sa sariling pagod ang pagkakaroon ng mga magagarang bagay.

but if your friend's family can afford it, then why not. pera naman nila yun eh! hehehe. kung ganon, I would suggest getting the Camry. yung SLK & C class.. problema lang ang mga yun. trust me. mas ma eenjoy pa niya ang Camry. also, kung di pa siya kuntento sa "stock" na Camry, eh di pa pormahin nalang niya! slap set of 18" or 19" rims and drop it! lolz!

aite, peace.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Mag-Strada o Ranger na lang siya. Siya pa ang iiwasan sa daan.

Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    paki sabi naman sa friend mo, ipasa muna nya ang bar.....
    +1. Siguraduhin muna niyang magiging abogado de campanilla siya, imbes na abogado de kuliling. :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mjb25 View Post
    mga bossing, my friend is about to graduate from law school and is asking for an advice as to what could be a good car gift that he can ask...current choices are the 3.5 camry(black), or a 2nd hand 98-02 slk convertible, or a 02-04 c-class sedan...

would you go for the camry or the euro cars? my first advice was the camry.

how about the 2008 accord? salamat mga bossing.
    Back to the topic (since I am not privy to the financial standing / personal background / whatever of mjb25's friend - so no comment on him/her asking for a graduation gift as that's their life and that's their money):

If money isn't a problem (including the subsequent expense for fuel, insurance & maintenance - but judging from your post it wouldn't be), a Camry 3.5L is a pretty good choice for a new car. A second hand MB (either the SLK or C-Class) also is - but expect problems here and there for those models as MBs from those years aren't exactly known for their bullet-proof build (though the newer MBs are reportedly better already).

The new Accord is just around the corner and the top-of-the-range variant will have a high-tech engine (google VCM643). But that also means the outgoing model is being sold at a bargain (P1.4M+ for the V6 model).

Personally, I'd also look at the Mazda6 (huge discounts too) and Galant 240M (another heavily discounted car too... check this out: http://www.bigbigcar.com/boards/Defa...?g=posts&t=760 ). Both of vehicles are retailing for around P1.2M+ (which is quite a bargain compared to the Camry 3.5L).

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    What a lucky guy i guess he is..
    well if my parents can afford such car as a gift then i prefer a low profile car as a start maybe 1994 model sentra or civic 1995 model.

1. mainly: he's still not lawyer yet (you said he just graduated from law school) so still need to take a bar exam, I dont see the main purpose of car "use as work service" but just papogipoints
    2. your friend is not earning enough to maintain car, how much is gas per liter / monthly maintenance etc.. i guess some of this portion will shoulder by parents

just my half cent

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Wow sana ganun di ako ka spoiled....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
New Gift