New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by incognito_ View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply niky. I'm fairly geared towards the Mazda 6 now (which jhnkvn has also recommended). I think it's a good balance on that large size sedan I'm looking for in an executive car, with a bit of that sports-like feel and "being reckless" that I'm trying to quench with my 86/GC thirst. May not necessarily be as future-proof as an SUV or as practical as I'd hope, but the intent for the "big purchase" by my standards is to just go for it -- so I think you said it perfectly, might as well "live a little".

Any further advise on purchasing? Preferred dealers or what to watch out for? Again, appreciate the responses.
    No preferred dealers... the new structure is so new that we don't have a clue as to who is great and who is notorious... yet.
    Last edited by niky; October 1st, 2013 at 01:11 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Mazda 6 looks really nice. If it had Skyactiv-D engines, it would've been perfect. As it is it should give slightly better city gas mileage than the typical 2.4L midsize which is around 6km/L. Go with what your heart wants, if your heart and mind can agree on a compromise then by all means gun for it. I really like the Optima as well. In fact, I prefer it's design over the Mazda 6's. The letdown is the "plain" 2.4L Sonata engine. If you live near a grey market dealer with a casa, I'd suggest the Optima 2.0GDi Turbo. Very, VERY nice car.

Does your route include horrid Edsa-type bumper to bumper traffic, humongous potholes from rain-dissolved asphalt and flash floods though? If, like me, you endure this on pretty much a daily basis, you may be cursing to the high heavens about the fuel consumption of a midsize sedan.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Mazda 6 looks really nice. If it had Skyactiv-D engines, it would've been perfect. As it is it should give slightly better city gas mileage than the typical 2.4L midsize which is around 6km/L. Go with what your heart wants, if your heart and mind can agree on a compromise then by all means gun for it. I really like the Optima as well. In fact, I prefer it's design over the Mazda 6's. The letdown is the "plain" 2.4L Sonata engine. If you live near a grey market dealer with a casa, I'd suggest the Optima 2.0GDi Turbo. Very, VERY nice car.

Does your route include horrid Edsa-type bumper to bumper traffic, humongous potholes from rain-dissolved asphalt and flash floods though? If, like me, you endure this on pretty much a daily basis, you may be cursing to the high heavens about the fuel consumption of a midsize sedan.
    It's generally going to be a daily commute from the South to Fort. Traffic and road quality isn't as harsh as EDSA, but hey, Manila is Manila, so. I sure still am a bit torn between a mid-size sedan and an SUV, but as mentioned prior, after some research and suggestions from the threads -- a bit geared towards the Mazda 6 right now. Just seems to be the right balance; although the Santa Fe or CX-5 is still in sights. I may just have to take the next step and just get to the dealers and get in the cars to really get a feel. Every practical bone in me screams SUV but there's still a youthful voice in my head screaming which is why I think the 6 is a good middle-ground (as it's not as reckless as an 86 I guess for a daily driver). Knowing myself though, this is going to be a back and forth battle until I make the actual purchase, so.

The Optima does have a different look to it but for some reason but personally, I find the 6 -- well, slicker and smoother. But I'll still sure to swing by and see it for myself. Thanks GTi!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Warranty for the grey market units make people think twice.

Thing is, kay AutoAccess roughly 1.8M lang yun Optima Turbo. Kasi 3 years lang warranty, hindi pa ata bumper to bumper warranty yun. Next is PARTS. Hindi ganun kadali mag maintain ng kotse na isa, dalawa o tatlo lang kayo meron dito. Kung may mga kaparehong engine parts yang Optima Turbo, MABUTI KUNG GANUN.

Kung kay Hancars/Pitstop naman, malamang 2 million na agad ang price.

Next is Fuel, Petron Blaze 100 Euro IV lang dapat for Optima Turbo. Kung GDi din yun MZ6 Skyactiv, Blaze 100 din dapat fuel mo.

I suggest Mazda 6, local Optima for midsize sedan

Mazda CX5 AWD and Hyundai Santa Fe FWD for crossover

The new Rav4 is too expensive for its features, sayang ang pera. I brought a Rav4 to Manaoag yesterday, matulin lang talaga at hindi nakakapagod i-drive dahil sa electric power steering.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Starex_Gold; October 1st, 2013 at 03:38 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    We have the same dilemma before.
    My family has a Lancer and a Fortuner, and while I love how the Lancer drives and how relatively comfortable it is compared to the other. I always find myself wishing my daily driver was the Fort. I've cringe and face palmed myself so many times kasi ang pangit talaga ng roads natin, at least once a week sumasayad yung Lancer. Horrible roads, poor parking slot designs on some establishments, and a penchant for flooding forces me to say goodbye to ever buying a sedan again. I wanted the Tiguan to be the replacement for the lancer when the time comes pero.... ang mahal e kala ko mag kaka german car na kami.

Sta. Fe, Sorento, or Forester ka na. good balance of what you want + a bit of practicality esp for a DD.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Motor Image listed a 300k discount on the Legacy GT sedan bringing down the price to around 1.7M. Honda is still offering 200k discount on the 2.4L Accord and 250k discount on the 3.5L Accord bringing down prices to 1.5M and 1.8M. The Mazda6 is also a good choice at around the same price as the Legacy and Accord. For a midsize priced at just lower 1.5M, then go for the Optima.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I really think you should consider ground clearance. Less headaches eh. Everytime theres flood our roads get worse afterwards. Potholes here and there. So for out of town I suggest you get a SUV.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Others: Subaru Forester XT (been mentioned several times and does look good, though not sure if the +brand +speed is worth the extra cash since I'm not really looking at off-roading).
    The Forester XT is not built for off roading. You buy this car for the fun factor and also for safety. Although ride is probably firmer than a Santa Fe.

Would avoid Mazda since they've already split up with Ford.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features...savior-feature
    Last edited by Walter; October 1st, 2013 at 09:57 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First time poster here and just wanted to get some new car advise. I'm in my early 30s and looking into a new car purchase. I have a base budget of 1.5M, but willing to add more if necessary (+350K), so maybe up to 1.85M. Not a first time owner but this is the first time that I'm making a big purchase (I know that's relative but anything more than a million on a car I already consider big). Have generally scrimped on vehicle purchases, but I think now is a good time to just enjoy the hard work over the years and just go for it.

My main considerations are:

- Comfort: Comfort in terms of ride and features. Decent noise levels. Smooth ride. Good quality of life features, etc. Will definitely have to be A/T.

- Class/Elegance/Style: Of course, this is probably a tad more secondary especially since I'm not really looking to go beyond the budget; and the moment class is mentioned, BMWs or MB's get mentioned which isn't exactly my cup of tea. I don't really want to spend more than 2M on a vehicle; but willing to spend a decent amount and don't want an entry-level sedan -- so might as well max it out a little and have a bit of an "impact".

I'm single, so no family. This is going to be a daily driven car to the office, which is roughly a 45min to 1 hour drive from home. Not entirely too concerned over fuel efficiency or mileage. Maintenance is probably a concern, but secondary in the grand scheme of things. I'm not really looking at modifications or any after-market changes after this. I want something great out of the box. Main purpose is really for the daily commute. I'm not much of a weekend tripper or camper, so it will mostly be city driving; except for the standard vacations like a drive to Baguio once or twice a year.

I haven't exactly drilled down my choices but ideas are:

A) Accord or Camry - Good "executive" vehicle, which I guess is appropriate. Comfort is there as well as the quality of life features -- so this seems to be the more obvious choice. Leaning towards an Accord more but only a bit over the Camry -- the Accord has a more youthful snap to it I guess. The Mazda6 is there as well and I honestly prefer it's sportier look but I'm not entirely sold on the brand and it's value. Not opting for a driver, so this will be personally driven. Will actually appreciate more discussion on this if at all.

B) SUV - Thinking along the lines of a Fortuner or a Trailblazer, but leaning towards a Fortuner. My family actually owns one, which I've also driven extensively, so this is a bit more of a comfort zone as far as the purchase is concerned. Not generally a Diesel fan though because of the noise, so will likely be a Gas version if at all. SUV is a safe bet I guess, as it still has good "presence" and spacious. But I have absolutely no real practical use for the space since I'm mostly "solo". Not considering a CUV either, as to me it's a bit too in the middle; so either it's an SUV or a luxury sedan.

C) Toyota 86 - This is more of a "want" than a "need" and probably more akin to fulfilling or better yet, succumbing to an early mid-life crisis choice. I'm hesitant on it being an apt "daily driver" -- but, a part of me of course is getting drawn by the fluff. It generally counters all my main considerations but I'm openly welcoming any form of egging to push me over the edge to just go for it! Likely to go for the non-Aero version but still get the skirts and kits sans the huge spoiler. Yes, it's the absolute "impractical" choice!

Looking forward to some advise! Thanks!
    Okay you want a comfortable car for a single guy who drives 45 minutes to an hour each way. You have a budget of 1.5M to 1.85M.

Let us first go through your mentioned choices...

CAMRY - good value for money with proven track record. No real issues with this except it might be a bit common (some people like to be different for the sake of being different)

ACCORD - a bit more expensive and has a design that is a bit awkward to look at, especially the front. I don't know where you found the "youthful snap" in the Accord's current design because I find it rather bland and old. Something about Honda playing a bit too safe in the design of this particular model Accord.

MAZDA6 - this car has an air of European design around it. The fact that in certain angles it resembles a Jaguar sedan is common to many people who see it. Offers good fuel mileage and average performance. The only downside is that this car is slightly smaller than the Camry or Accord, but if you're driving the car, you really wouldn't notice it. I do agree with you that Mazda Philippines under it's new owners (Berjaya) will still need to proven themselves if they can offer good customer satisfaction to their Mazda car owners.

FORTUNER - personally I would be leaning toward the Mitsubishi Montero Sport which offer a more comfortable ride for the same price and vehicle size. Fuel economy in gas engined vehicles like the Fortuner and Montero Sport is dismal so it might be worth your money to get a diesel version. As for your decision of NOT going CUV, you might want to reconsider it. The Mitsubishi ASX is a fine example. It has enough space for either a single guy or a small family, easy to park, offers better fuel economy than the Fortuner or MS, looks sportier than its rivals and handles well.

TRAILBLAZER - Although it's base model is pretty cheap, it also feel pretty cheap inside as well. Interior plastics is really bad for something costing over P1M to buy. The exterior is fine and driving experience can be enjoyable. I just can't get over the cheap feeling interior plastics because you'll be staring at it every minute when you are driving it.

TOYOTA GT86 / SUBARU BRZ - (fyi, they are the same car under the badging) after having driven this (the GT86), it is definitely difficult to make it a daily driver. My main issues are the stiff ride and the ease of entry and exit. As a weekend toy, only a few other cars can match it for the purchase price. Aero kit or non-aero, it doesn't really make much of a difference because the stiff ride may wear you out by the time you reach for destination.

Other options you might want to consider....

HONDA CRZ - This is recently launched two door, two seat sports coupe from Honda. It has a 1.5L engine with electric assist motor that gives it the performance almost similar to a 1.8 to 2.0L engined car. Priced at around P1.5M, it is priced in the same market of the GT86. The base or Modulo models offer a sporty ride while still maintaining some degree of comfort for long drives. Although it does not turn as many heads as the 86, it is still a sporty car that I think this can be a practical daily driver because it is quite comfy to drive, easy to maintain, handles well, can be frugal on the gas and can still offer an exciting drive when you feel like it. Downside, it is a small car if you compare it to the likes of the Camry.

HYUNDAI SONATA - comparing this to the Camry, it can be a hard choice NOT to choose the SONATA because it offers great sporty looks, glass roof, spacious interior, executive luxury and still priced within your budget with cash to spare.

SUBARU FORESTER - priced between P1.4M and P1.75M, this SUV may not be as big as the Fortunter you want, but it offers better performance and ride comfort. Comes with all wheel drive as standard as well as leather seats and other interior/spec features you'll not find with the Fort or MS. Plus the Subaru badge image. As for the external styling, I can say it does grow on you the more you look at it.

SUBARU XV - priced cheaper than the Forester at between P1.4 and P1.5M, it is basically an Impreza 2.0L with taller suspension. As for performance, I just find it "adequate". Still comes with all wheel drive as standard.

Lancer EX GTA - although a bit old since it was first introduced back in 2008, it still look fresh and very sporty. It's 2.0L provides it with enough power for a fun weekend's worth of driving and still give good economy when driven during the rest of the week. Still a bit rare on the road, it can still turn heads.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by iceblueyes View Post
    We have the same dilemma before.
    My family has a Lancer and a Fortuner, and while I love how the Lancer drives and how relatively comfortable it is compared to the other. I always find myself wishing my daily driver was the Fort. I've cringe and face palmed myself so many times kasi ang pangit talaga ng roads natin, at least once a week sumasayad yung Lancer. Horrible roads, poor parking slot designs on some establishments, and a penchant for flooding forces me to say goodbye to ever buying a sedan again. I wanted the Tiguan to be the replacement for the lancer when the time comes pero.... ang mahal e kala ko mag kaka german car na kami.

Sta. Fe, Sorento, or Forester ka na. good balance of what you want + a bit of practicality esp for a DD.

Maybe you would have been happier if you got a Mitsubishi ASX? You have that Lancer look and performance with the ride and clearance of a SUV. Pot holes are no problem as you just drive over them. Flooded streets are still manageable as long as it's not too deep.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast