New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ok my sister is looking for a car to be used mainly for going to work. Maybe some weekend outdoor activities, and some malling as well. As well as Friday nightouts.... Budget is P650K to a maximum of P700K

I was looking at a 2003 2.4G A/T Camry the mileage was around 42,000km which I think is fair use. I have already seen the car and it looks alaga naman and casa maintained...

Or will she be better of just buying a brand new car like Vios, Avanza, City, Jazz and have the peace of mind of a new car?

Of course what's tempting is the Camry is a elegant looking car and mas maganda talaga tignan kaysa dun sa 4 other cars....

Kayo ano opinyon nyo?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'll go for the Camry... more metal for my money. 42K km isn't that high though if the owner took good care of it.

bigbigcar.com Feature: BMW Dynamic Drive Experience

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hmmm if your sister is the type of person that takes the time to really take care of the car. na konteng sira lang papagawa na then the camry is right for her. but is shes the type na just drive and dosent really want the time to fix cars, brandnew is the way to go. at least peace of mind for the next 3 years.

my two cents

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Typically after 5 years, nagsisimula ng tumaas ang maintenance cost ng mga cars.

Better get a new one para less problems.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I think mas practical yung mga brand new choices nyo. The Camry may be nice but you have to consider that the Camry is more expensive to maintain than your other choices, not to mention that it consumes more fuel than any other car in your choices.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the response.... I was also kinda on the side of a brand new car although less elegant than the Camry. Kaso yung kapatid ko na-in-love sa Camry which I can understand kasi maganda talaga. I'll try to convince her pero mas gusto talaga nya yung Camry... Anyway again thanks for your opinions, will post na lang ulit what she got ultimately.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    I love Camrys but in this case it would be my last choice.

First on my shortlist would be the Vios, preferrably the 1.3E since the price just tucks under 650k, loads of space for the girly gang and then some. Super economical too in the long run.

The Jazz would be second but I will wait for the All New (daw) variants which Honda has slated to release in June or July this year. It better be worth the wait since it will cost more than the Vios mentioned above.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    Typically after 5 years, nagsisimula ng tumaas ang maintenance cost ng mga cars.
    Not really... since with a brand new vehicle you need to have it serviced in a Toyota casa. A real-life example for me:

Toyota PMS (half a day to one whole day):
    P2100+ - 1 gallon Mobil1 FS
    P400 - oil filter
    P400 - oil change labor
    P500 - fuel additive (which they put in indiscriminately)
    P1300 - air filter
    P200 - air filter change labor
    P50 - rag, sandpaper, etc.
    P4950+ TOTAL

Speedyfix PMS (1.5-2 hours):
    P2100 - 1 gallon Motul / Royal Purple FS (incl. labor & filter)
    P900 - air filter
    P3000 TOTAL

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    hmmm if your sister is the type of person that takes the time to really take care of the car. na konteng sira lang papagawa na then the camry is right for her. but is shes the type na just drive and dosent really want the time to fix cars, brandnew is the way to go. at least peace of mind for the next 3 years.

my two cents
    i agree with archie. if the camry's been well maintained, and if your sister can appreciate the luxury of the camry, if she's willing to shell out more for gas, and if she can maintain the camry, then go for the camry.

otherwise, i'd go for either the Vios City or Jazz. she'll be happy with any of their miserly consumption.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    Not really... since with a brand new vehicle you need to have it serviced in a Toyota casa. A real-life example for me:

Toyota PMS (half a day to one whole day):
    P2100+ - 1 gallon Mobil1 FS
    P400 - oil filter
    P400 - oil change labor
    P500 - fuel additive (which they put in indiscriminately)
    P1300 - air filter
    P200 - air filter change labor
    P50 - rag, sandpaper, etc.
    P4950+ TOTAL

Speedyfix PMS (1.5-2 hours):
    P2100 - 1 gallon Motul / Royal Purple FS (incl. labor & filter)
    P900 - air filter
    P3000 TOTAL
    I think what meledson is pointing out is not the change oil only. Pag na reach muna ang 40k km di lang change oil ang PMS mo, may kasama na iba services like major tune up, change engine & gear oil, replace oil filter, coolant, air cleaner, brake fluid, spark plug. Dami pa din dapat i-inspect like transmission, clutch, etc...so di mo pa alam kung meron pa dapat i replace lalo nat 2nd hand. Malaki ang engine ng camry muka kulang ang 1 gallon motor oil mo, Jazz, Avanza, City, and Vios are less than 4li. Mahal ang pyesa ng mga bigger car compared sa smaller car, malaki ang mga pyesa nyan.
    I agree with meledson, the older the car the higher its maintenance cost. My vote is, kung di naman nya kailangan ang 7 seater, the all new Vios, IMO.
    Last edited by shadow3616931; March 16th, 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
A new Avanza-Vios-City-Jazz or a used Camry?