New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Looking for a fuel efficent car for the wife. Will be used to bring kids to school, grocery, church etc.. Almost sure na pure city driving. She has a driver so I'm getting a base model manual tranny.

I know that we are only speculating on the Avanza but since its a 1.3 vvti, can I assume consumption will be similar or at least close to the vios? I know it is heavier and if fully loaded will seat 7 people. We are a family of 4 plus yaya and driver. I do have a 10 seater van pero gas guzzler so i'd rather not use it. Its used for highway and when we are all together. Vios is lighter and will seat 5. I'm guessing price will be similar. I'm pretty sure vios will have more promos.

I'm a bit concerned that Avanza might be under powered. Its supposed to be 89 hp and around 1085 kgs. Ok ba power to weight ratio nito? vios is supposed to have 85hp and curb weight of 930kg. So Vios has better power to weight ratio. Problem is I do not know what is the acceptable power to weight ratio. I can do the math but the numbers have no meaning.

So which one is better suited for my needs.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Avanza has very short gearing, supposedly 4000RPM at 100kph, this is to compensate for underpowered engine. A typical sedan will only do 3000RPM or less at 100kph.

The aircon will have a larger cabin to cool.

FC definitely higher than Vios.

As for power-to-weight the Honda City 1.3S curb weight 1081kg so it weighs almost the same as the Avanza.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    what does short gearing mean? does it mean that you have to shift at higher rpms? Meaning instead of shifting at around 200rpm you need to shift at 2500 to 3000 rpm, para di sakal yung transmisiion, ganoon ba? if so then it should result in higher FC, right?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Based on your assumptions, I'd go for Vios.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    what does short gearing mean? does it mean that you have to shift at higher rpms? Meaning instead of shifting at around 200rpm you need to shift at 2500 to 3000 rpm, para di sakal yung transmisiion, ganoon ba? if so then it should result in higher FC, right?

Short gearing means for the same gear and speed the engine RPM is higher. You don't necessarily have to shift at higher RPM... but you may have to if fully loaded with 7 passengers...

The short gearing means that when travelling at highway speeds, say ~100kph, the engine RPM will have to be higher, thus consumes more gas. But since you'll be using it for city only it's probably just fine...

BTW judging from the pictures the Avanza interiors seem to be really cheap-looking, much worse than the Vios' which is already below-average...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    ^^Thanks for the explanation.

As for looks, its not really important. Function, reliability, fuel consumption, maintenace cost are more important to me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm a bit concerned that Avanza might be under powered. Its supposed to be 89 hp and around 1085 kgs. Ok ba power to weight ratio nito? vios is supposed to have 85hp and curb weight of 930kg. So Vios has better power to weight ratio. Problem is I do not know what is the acceptable power to weight ratio. I can do the math but the numbers have no meaning.
    Even at 89bhp, the Avanza still makes more power than 12 passenger vans like the L300, Kia Pregio, Toyota Hiace (older model), etc. And those vehicles have no problem hauling a full load.

Corolla 1.3's with their heavier bodies also make around 90bhp. Same with base model Sentras.

I don't think power will be an issue unless you're a power junkie.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks OTEP. I was worried that performance might be similar to the old Lite Ace. Come to think of it all the vans you mentioned have less power and can carry more weight than the Avanza and those models do an acceptable job. The L300 is even used as light duty delivery truck and its been around for ages. I guess this is a non-issue.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    but all of you are forgetting that those cars that you mentioned are all diesel engines .... it has more torque and can carry more weight ... sa alam our 2.0 gas engined hiace has more hp than that avanza .. but if your just sitting 7 people i guess 89 hp is enough ... yung suzuki nga kaya rin e

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Ano nga ba difference ng torque at hp, forgot kasi.

Ang max load will most likely be 4 adults and 2 kids. I think 5 seater is enough pero kung madagdagan yung anak namin eh masikip na.

naisip ko yung APV pero sabi ng pinsan ko 7km/l lang ang consumption niya sa city driving.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
avanza vs vios