New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    I have been looking around on getting a mid size SUV in the Philippines and i narrowed to to a few choices:

Honda Pilot
    Ford Explorer
    Mitsubishi Pajero
    Toyota Prado (gas)

At first, i was leaning towards the Explorer but i read so many stories with problems with the car. Also, the resale value is really bad, and much more that there was a price increase as well.

What are your thoughts on this?

My car right now in the U.S. is a 09 Honda Pilot and I love it! I am considering getting another one 2012 in the Philippines, but do you think that 2.6m is worth it? or better of paying about the same for a Pajero, which is a true SUV?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    In my own opinion considering the high prices of petroleum in the Philippines, It is better to get diesel engine cars, Among your choice Pajero is the best choice. Bigger Space and better performance.

For better resale value better to get Toyota Prado. Why don't you consider Prado diesel instead of GAS.

American and European Cars are not the best option because of high maintenance and bad resale value. this cars are only good in comfort.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If you are not after screaming high end horsepower or kick-ass off road capabilities, then I suppose the Pilot it is. Assuming that all of the above mentioned are the gas variants, this should get the best mileage, having the smallest engine (Explorer aside) and cylinder deactivation. Besides, you are already familiar with the car, and you like it- which is the most important part.

The Pajero is nice. But being a ladder frame SUV, it is, of course, not in the same league of the Pilot or Explorer when it comes to handling and ride comfort. 3.8V6 is not worth buying, IMHO and resale value is quite poor. But if you're after fuel efficiency and resale value, the diesel is great.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Since you got an americanized japanese suv in the US, why not get a japanese SUV in asia...pajero, prado or patrol, just to have some diversity.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    i'll pick either explorer or pajero. i cant see the worth of prado's price tag. yung pilot naman, ang pangit IMO. mas maganda pa field master. haha

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Pajero is nice. But being a ladder frame SUV, it is, of course, not in the same league of the Pilot or Explorer when it comes to handling and ride comfort. 3.8V6 is not worth buying, IMHO and resale value is quite poor. But if you're after fuel efficiency and resale value, the diesel is great.
    The Pajero has a monocoque body with 4-wheel independent suspension system. Similar to both the Explorer and Pilot.
    Signature

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    i'd get the explorer... 5 year warranty naman :D

8. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennt View Post
    i'd get the explorer... 5 year warranty naman :D
    5 year committment to casa pms😗

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Prado indeed does have decent resale value, but guess what? With the ultra-high price of the Prado diesel, you still lose two million pesos in resale value after five years. Mostly because you can get much better equipped Dubai ones for that much. That's no joke. You could buy a fricking Explorer Ecoboost with that money.

My projection is the Explorer will likely retain only forty percent value after five years, as compared to thirty to thirty five percent value like the old one, thanks to the more modern looks, better fuel economy and better refinement.

The Pilot is nice, and the interior, though simple, feels very high class. The ride is pretty good, and fuel economy is decent. Still, could use better seat shapes, and the Odyssey gives you much more space for the money.

The Pajero is always a safe choice, and resale is actually as good as the Prado or better, mostly because the entry price is more reasonable. It's getting a bit old, and space isn't as impressive as the Explorer, but the handling is good, the engine is good and it can actually go off-road.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    The Prado indeed does have decent resale value, but guess what? With the ultra-high price of the Prado diesel, you still lose two million pesos in resale value after five years. Mostly because you can get much better equipped Dubai ones for that much. That's no joke. EYou could buy a fricking Explorer Ecoboost with that money.
    Exactly. I don't understand why high-end toyota SUVs are over priced in the philippines. here in UAE, Prado cost only a bit expensive than Pajero.

Pajero is cheap descent SUV with excelent 4x4 capability. Obviously Pajero and Explorer/Pilot are not in the same category. Explorer is a crossover and is better in city driving while Pajero is a 4x4 vehicle but performs good in city driving as well.