New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hi Tsikot pro-members

i need help choosing which is a better car.

Im formerly a 96-98vtec civic user and was and still very happy with it.
    I plan to upgrade

I need your opinion if which car will be better assuming both are in stock and excellent condition 2nd hands.

Honda Civic Vti(Vtec) 2000 Model automatic 1.6
    Ford Lynx Ghia 2003 (RS look non RS) model automatic 1.6

i have tried all vti and very satisfied. i tried lxi versions pero feeling ko ang hina nya. so i go for vti kaso i found a good looking ford lynx din with luxurious interior and not too bad exterior looks which is the 2003 editions lynx ghias. i just wonder if you guys can compare cons and pros of the two cars. ride and power wise. maintenance wise. im just a city driver and seldomly goes out of town but yeah ayoko mabitin sa overtake. vtec di nabibitin sa overtake eh how about the lynx ghia 2003?

pls advise..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    hi,

Bro, parehas tayo ng concern ah, galing... anybody who can advice us...honda civic of ford lynx/??

rregards..

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    [SIZE=4]Well kung practicality, then the civic will be a good choice. Mas abundant ang parts, mas mura maintenance, mas matipid sa fuel etc etc. Pero kung looks, then Lynx ako, yun nga lang mas malakas sa gas and mas mahal ng konti sa maintenance and parts cost. Maganda din naman ang civic eh pero its still going to be your choice.

Lets wait for sir niky`s advice, he has a lynx....RS ata.
    [/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    i think the civic is a more practical car than the lynx. although i have to agree with renzo that the lynx is definitely the looker between the two. buy what your heart desires.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by warp3d View Post
    Hi Tsikot pro-members

Im formerly a 96-98vtec civic user and was and still very happy with it.
    I plan to upgrade

I need your opinion if which car will be better assuming both are in stock and excellent condition 2nd hands.

Honda Civic Vti(Vtec) 2000 Model automatic 1.6
    Ford Lynx Ghia 2003 (RS look non RS) model automatic 1.6

i have tried all vti and very satisfied. i tried lxi versions pero feeling ko ang hina nya. so i go for vti kaso i found a good looking ford lynx din with luxurious interior and not too bad exterior looks which is the 2003 editions lynx ghias. i just wonder if you guys can compare cons and pros of the two cars. ride and power wise. maintenance wise. im just a city driver and seldomly goes out of town but yeah ayoko mabitin sa overtake. vtec di nabibitin sa overtake eh how about the lynx ghia 2003?

pls advise..
    If you are happy with the Honda go for it you will be the one who will use the car and you already know all about it parts , engine , maintenance . While Ford parts more expensive . For daily driving ill go with Honda and resale value is good.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    If you are happy with the Honda go for it you will be the one who will use the car and you already know all about it parts , engine , maintenance . While Ford parts more expensive . For daily driving ill go with Honda and resale value is good.
    And how many Fords do you own?

Spare parts for the Lynx are reasonable in price. Not as low as you can get for some Toyotas, but you always get what you pay for.

Besides, with the low resale price of the Lynx, you can fix everything to brand new condition and still have it come out cheaper than a Civic of the same age.

-

I wouldn't suggest the Ghia AT. The 1.6 AT Lynx is known to be a guzzler... better bet is the Ghia MT...

Myself, I'm eyeing a second Lynx... the 2004 LSi is only 250k + now... I think I could get a 2004 for about 240-250, then fix it up as a commuting car. 1.3 liter engine... lacks power, but it's zingy and fun to drive, and it has the space I'm used to. Sucks that the only 1.3 liter compact left on the market is the Sentra...

-

The Civic VTi is a great car, but it's old. If you're buying one, double check the electronics (the Lynx has its issues, too, but I've posted them many times elsewhere here) and make sure stuff like the VTEC solenoid and throttle are working properly. If we're talking the EK, that one's a classic and a keeper. If we're talking the EP... well... it's a large car, with good performance, but I like the "porma" of the Lynx better.

-

Get an MT. If you really must get an AT, go for one with low mileage and test-drive it first to check for signs of hesitation, slipping and imminent transmission failure. ATs are a common failure point on both old Lynxes and Civics... I really don't have faith in old Honda automatics... and it's a pain-in-the-butt to fix if it goes wrong. Your buying decision should be based more on what's in the best condition than what brand name is on the car.
    Last edited by niky; August 24th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by warp3d View Post
    Hi Tsikot pro-members

i have tried all vti and very satisfied. .......
    pls advise..
    You already hit the nail smack on the head.

Honda parts are more expensive relative to Toyota but Ford parts are unjustifiably even more expensive. You may find a "Mazda" part identical (yup almost as if Mazda made the car for Ford....get it?) to what a Ford Lynx needs. Don't you feel ripped off if you buy a "Ford" part only to learn a "Mazda" part is available which is identical to it and almost 1/3 the price?

BTW Mazda engines are great. It's that Ford big body approach, albeit heavy, that sucks. Collision parts by Ford, Mazda Inside.

Unless the seller of the Ford Lynx sell it really dirt cheap, the Honda Civic Vtec is your better choice. Sabi mo nga, satisfied ka.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    since nakatikim ka na ng civic, theres no much difference yung SiR body sa 96-98 civic. mas bago yung ford and ill suggest you go for that instead. i myself would not buy a 2nd hand a/t kasi kung magkaprob, ang laki ng gastos. try looking for m/t. how about the love life corolla? ok din yun.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    you should be more careful with old cars with A/T than M/T, given other things are the same

if i were you, i'd just keep my old vtec then wait for a couple of years to save for a brand new A/T car

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolHack View Post
    You already hit the nail smack on the head.

Honda parts are more expensive relative to Toyota but Ford parts are unjustifiably even more expensive. You may find a "Mazda" part identical (yup almost as if Mazda made the car for Ford....get it?) to what a Ford Lynx needs. Don't you feel ripped off if you buy a "Ford" part only to learn a "Mazda" part is available which is identical to it and almost 1/3 the price?

BTW Mazda engines are great. It's that Ford big body approach, albeit heavy, that sucks. Collision parts by Ford, Mazda Inside.

Unless the seller of the Ford Lynx sell it really dirt cheap, the Honda Civic Vtec is your better choice. Sabi mo nga, satisfied ka.
    They never sold that generation of Mazda Familia here. They're Mazda parts, yes, but they're sold as Ford parts.

-

And I don't know if you guys know what the hell you're talking about. Electronics for my Lynx cost around the same as electronics for any other car with a direct-ignition (non-distributor) engine. (heck, I was surprised to learn that a MAF for a V8 only costs around 5k pesos at the dealership... I would have expected it to cost more). It's the European-built Focus that has parts that cost much more. Of course, new Civic parts cost a lot, too.

-

Again... speaking as someone who owns a Lynx, and who is taking care of an old Civic... maintenance parts are similar in cost (and that was an EK Civic, not the EP... it's easier to find and buy EK parts). The only thing I can say about the Lynx is to avoid secondhand ATs, because they can become a pain in the ass if the previous owner was an idiot... but having experienced blown automatic transmissions in several secondhand Hondas (three Accords... and this current Civic is starting to shift like a slug)... I'd also recommend you stay away from any secondhand automatic, unless you're absolutely sure the previous owner was good to it.
    Last edited by niky; August 25th, 2009 at 03:01 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
need help on which car to choose