New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Hello, any manual sedan/crossover/small suv that’s good for beginners? I’ve always driven AT cars and would really love to get a manual. My current daily is an NX and a Forester as coding car so this would mostly be used during weekends or when I have some free time. I’ve seen 10+ year old MT cars that fit my budget but I’m not sure if they are safe enough for a noob like me.

Priority as follows:

- reliability (wouldn’t break down on me)
    - learning curve (i’ve been told not all MTs are made the same?)
    - fun factor (something that would not make me swear off manual transmissions)
    - resalability (I don’t really plan to keep it for too long)

I’m not sure if the budget and the list above makes sense but I’d be really grateful for your inputs.

Salamat po

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA25 View Post
    Hello, any manual sedan/crossover/small suv that’s good for beginners? I’ve always driven AT cars and would really love to get a manual. My current daily is an NX and a Forester as coding car so this would mostly be used during weekends or when I have some free time. I’ve seen 10+ year old MT cars that fit my budget but I’m not sure if they are safe enough for a noob like me.

Priority as follows:

I’m not sure if the budget and the list above makes sense but I’d be really grateful for your inputs.

Salamat po
    Fun MT car would be the GK Jazz 1.5V. Sells for about 400k these days. Ticks all your boxes.

Best not to get anything older than 10 years old (so a 200k budget really won't cut it).

If you want a project car, gen 1 Miata is also really good but quite hard to find an unmolested unit these days, and even a well maintained Miata is still a 20+ year old car.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Or maybe a Fiesta MT? Resale value is quite low for Ford cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA25 View Post

Priority as follows:

Salamat po
    an early altis or a newer sentra.
    i had a 90s sentra, and i have a 2003 altis. nice, reliable, "no surprises" cars.

hey! we're getting the sentra cheap, so we should not complain too much about its low resale value.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 26th, 2020 at 10:06 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    With a 200k budget the car you buy will be fully depreciated already, or close to it. Losing money on resale shouldn't be a problem, it's the maintenance you should be worried about.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    My recommendation for this category is the 6th gen Galant GTi. Good ones are just a bit over 100k, so you'll have plenty left over for maintenance. 4G63 engine is a peach, and there's the option to swap in a 63T.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    My recommendation for this category is the 6th gen Galant GTi. Good ones are just a bit over 100k, so you'll have plenty left over for maintenance. 4G63 engine is a peach, and there's the option to swap in a 63T.
    I remember the servo on those.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    I remember the servo on those.

The pain!!! Never got around to replacing the servo on our 4g92. Made do with an idle up hobo fix until we sold it. Later versions of the engine (flipped orientation and distributorless) had more robust parts IIRC.

Sent from my SM-A605G using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    The pain!!! Never got around to replacing the servo on our 4g92. Made do with an idle up hobo fix until we sold it. Later versions of the engine (flipped orientation and distributorless) had more robust parts IIRC.

Sent from my SM-A605G using Tapatalk
    Hehe...true. More painful when parts can no longer be had.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Hehe...true. More painful when parts can no longer be had.

ah!
    the travails of an orphan car user!
    fond memories..

i wouldn't wish this, even to my enemies.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 28th, 2020 at 02:22 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast