New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sensya kung nakakalito. To clear up, I mean quality as in stage presence of the car, quality of materials used, safety equipment included on board, manufacturing and safety standards and such.

But that the PJ and SF are really not made for the same market, with the two catering to different needs and preferences.

If it really is confusing, what my post says is that the MS is an SUV that offers good value, durability and performance, though still with quite a number of coarse edges and points for improvement. The SF on the other hand offers superior comfort, refinement, fuel efficiency and performance.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Sobrang layo. The new Santa Fe has quality comparable to true midsize SUVs like the Prado and Pajero and premium crossovers like the CX9. The Montero uses very cheap quality plastic for the interior, although the design is OK. The ride is comfortable and the handling not too shabby either. In terms of punch, I find it slightly better than the Santa Fe VGT- which, mind you, is still faster off the line. I don't know if its because the unit I drove is still green or if its just plain turbo lag, but the throttle response was very much delayed. It takes its time to slowly rev until it nears 2000rpm before it starts to really go at it, unlike the near-instantaneous throttle response of the SF VGT which hits 3000rpm within a split second of hitting the accelerator. Not to mention the 4D56, despite being tweaked to its current 178ps form, is still noisy and unrefined- much more so than the 3.0L Fortuner, let alone the Santa Fe.
    New Hyundai/Kia diesel engines are fitted with a close-coupled DPF (diesel particulate filter) as "standard component". See the sample of close-coupled particulate filter in the photo.

DPFs together with multiple high temp sensors will add somewhere between 150,000 to 200,000 pesos (or more) to the vehicle cost which is of course passed on to the buyer. The DPFs gives freedom to ECU programmer to apply the so-called near-instantaneous throttle response control setting without the occurrence of billowing soot which d_mac always see when trailing the montero sport... hahaha

Vehicle owners actually paid for it but all credit goes to the manufacturer... so they are clapping... hahaha
    photo credit to "thekoreancarblog"

Quote Originally Posted by d_mac View Post
    Wala naman ganyanan sir, sinasabi mo pawang katotohanan eh na ayaw marinig ng mga fanboys haha! Akala ko ba sir sabi ni Mitsuboshi tatapatan daw niya power ni Santa Fe hehe .... Sa dami ng Mitsuboshi banners nang lumabas si namumulang GT-V, tatapatan daw si Fe haha :D ....Ang dami namang naniniwala sa Phelipens ;)

Tama yang description mo chief, anemic yan below 2000 rpm (may hesitation) kahit pa super-power daw ang namumulang GT-V hehe ;)

Hindi nga pinapansin yan sa ibang bansa hehe, OIP lang yan (only in the Phelipens)

No further comment your honour kasi pawang katotohanan sinasabi mo, tunay kang hindi pinagdududahan idol! ;)

Hello there

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    I drove a monty but i never drove a sta. fe yet. But our car is in CRDI. Its maintenance is not that high as long as you follow its pms schedule and have the egr serviced from time ti time. CRDI is one hell of an engine.!

Externally, i always gaze on an SF3 everytime i see it on the road.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    i don't own SF3 nor a MS because i always stick for isuzu for durability and fuel efficiency. however, i always take a closer look at SF3 whenever i see one. ang ganda ng porma at ang tulin tumakbo. on the other hand, MS looks like a crab for me. walang ka porma-porma. korean cars are getting better these days.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by arsen View Post
    New Hyundai/Kia diesel engines are fitted with a close-coupled DPF (diesel particulate filter) as "standard component". See the sample of close-coupled particulate filter in the photo.

DPFs together with multiple high temp sensors will add somewhere between 150,000 to 200,000 pesos (or more) to the vehicle cost which is of course passed on to the buyer. The DPFs gives freedom to ECU programmer to apply the so-called near-instantaneous throttle response control setting without the occurrence of billowing soot which d_mac always see when trailing the montero sport... hahaha

Vehicle owners actually paid for it but all credit goes to the manufacturer... so they are clapping... hahaha

photo credit to "thekoreancarblog"

Hello there

Hi there boss!

Gaya nga nang pilit kong sinasabi sa yo idol kuno, kung Monterosport na tak-tak-tak lang ang makina meron kami (by my in-laws though, not from my own money hehe ) at kada piga ko sa silinyador idol natatawa ako, hindi tuwa ah, dahil bukod sa anemic sa power below 2000 rpm, maingay pate pag binira, at ubod ng usok si lumang 1986 pa na engine 4D56 GUARANTEED yan pards, HINDI NA KAILANGAN NA RATIO-AND-PROPORTION mo lang na computation ahihi.... Sumakay ka pa imbitado ka hehe

Gaya nga ng sinsasabi ko pa sa yo din, you may assume every scenario apart from what is true, yang mga pinagmamalaki mo na Monterosport, kahit pa yung may namumulang GT-V para bumenta, pag dating sa akyatan na marimi lalong hairpins o switchbacks iniiwan lang ni hinDMAXsiado kahit wastegate turbo lang ito hehe.

Yun lang naman pards.... Ngayon idol, pakita ka ulit ng ratio-and-proportion mo ahihi.... Kahit ano pang sabihin mo pa at magpakita ka ng equation kuno kung-ano-ano para i-build up yang Monterosport idol scientist ahihi, hinding-hindi ako magsasayang ng pera ko sa bulok na Monterosport na yan idol

Cheers idol!

6. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post
    i don't own SF3 nor a MS because i always stick for isuzu for durability and fuel efficiency. however, i always take a closer look at SF3 whenever i see one. ang ganda ng porma at ang tulin tumakbo. on the other hand, MS looks like a crab for me. walang ka porma-porma. korean cars are getting better these days.
    TUMPAK sir! Isa ka rin nagsasabi ng TOTOO dito ;)

Besides ang Santa Fe hindi na kailangan maglagay ng namumulang GT-V para magpa-impress at hindi kailangan magpakita ng ratio-and-proportion equation daw di gaya noong isa hehe

No further comment your honour....

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    I suggest the TS to test drive both. You can be misled by a lot of subjective feedback and comments.

What I can say is:
    1. Both are good cars.
    2. Both fuel efficient and powered by sufficiently powered diesel engines.
    3. Both come with good toys, SF3 is 3rd gen already so expect more high tech gadgetry.
    4. Monty is practically same body and engine (except VGT was added later on) from first release to present, this makes it easier to get spare parts.
    5. I have driven both, SF is more car-like because it's crossover, while I am more confident driving Monty in rough roads and flood prone areas.
    6. You choose any one of these cars, you will be happy with it.

Good luck with your test drive and selection.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Ano ba age ng TS? Age could also be a factor in deciding which SUV to choose.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Hi there boss!

Gaya nga nang pilit kong sinasabi sa yo idol kuno, kung Monterosport na tak-tak-tak lang ang makina meron kami (by my in-laws though, not from my own money hehe ) at kada piga ko sa silinyador idol natatawa ako, hindi tuwa ah, dahil bukod sa anemic sa power below 2000 rpm, maingay pate pag binira, at ubod ng usok si lumang 1986 pa na engine 4D56 GUARANTEED yan pards, HINDI NA KAILANGAN NA RATIO-AND-PROPORTION mo lang na computation ahihi.... Sumakay ka pa imbitado ka hehe
    Why complain much if it is not from your own money.

Your in-laws just only get what they paid for. If they or others (the intended market) are willing to pay 200,000 to 250,000 pesos more to have the complete after treatment devices and precise but more expensive generic diesel modules for the engine, for sure they can get the same engine performance and power settings.

Gaya nga ng sinsasabi ko pa sa yo din, you may assume every scenario apart from what is true, yang mga pinagmamalaki mo na Monterosport, kahit pa yung may namumulang GT-V para bumenta, pag dating sa akyatan na marimi lalong hairpins o switchbacks iniiwan lang ni hinDMAXsiado kahit wastegate turbo lang ito hehe.
    The road I always travel doesn't even have a single hairpin where I can gain much of something your hinDMAXsiado has to offer.
    So how about sa rektahan, let say 99.9% of the time? How's your hinDMAXsiado compared to an MS? Nakakahabol ka pa ba?

Yun lang naman pards.... Ngayon idol, pakita ka ulit ng ratio-and-proportion mo ahihi.... Kahit ano pang sabihin mo pa at magpakita ka ng equation kuno kung-ano-ano para i-build up yang Monterosport idol scientist ahihi, hinding-hindi ako magsasayang ng pera ko sa bulok na Monterosport na yan idol

Cheers idol!
    I am not building up the MS. It was already well built and well accepted for its intended market even before I joined Tsikot... hahaha
    Someone like you is just trying to destroy it by all means... wag mo naman ako baliktarin pards....hahaha

Regarding my ratio and proportion, I just shared to you the simple reasoning behind the engine downsizing which is presently, the favorite enhancement of the manufacturer to accomplish the following:

1. Same fuel injection quantity, reduced piston* = increase in power**
    *reduced sizes and weights of dynamic components, reduction in constant specific loses but quantity of usuable air for combustion is compromised thus needs early/better boost activation.
    ** how much increase in power to expect? try my ratio and proportion....its magical.... hahaha

2. Reduced piston but no increase of power = reduced fuel consumption (current eco cars)

3. Reduced piston and reduced power = more reduced fuel consumption to comply with more strict emission regulation

Kung alam mo na sana....
    More cheers!

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by arsen View Post

The PHDM SF3 is not fitted with a DPF, the KDM however, is. So I guess this is not the reason for the great throttle response.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast