New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Hi everyone. Tsikot helped me a lot in finding out which SUV to buy and I hope you guys could also help me in my next purchase

I am currently trying to look for the best car for my Mom.
    Considerations:
    > Automatic
    > Budget of 900K at max if possible
    > To be used Daily (20-30KM) to and from her office in Laguna
    > Spacious – regularly goes out with some of my aunts and kids

Primary options:
    1. Altis G
    > No unit was available at the dealership
    2. Honda Civic
    > No unit was available at the dealership. Haven’t actually seen this car yet. Not sure if in the Philippines
    > A bit out of the 900k price range but might be able to work some magic if worth it 
    3. Honda City

Other options
    1. Honda Jazz-
    > Wasn’t really an option but became one when we went to Honda

2. Fortuner (2nd hand)
    > Selfish side of me (pahiram minsan)
    > My mom is a bit worried though of 2nd hand cars Ondoy and all
    > Maneuverability. I drove one and was very comfortable with it. Would you say the same for a mom?

3. Hyundai Elantra
    > Blown away how good looking it is. Unfortunately had bad experiences with Hyundai service and replacement of parts

Any inputs are highly appreciated and any other suggestions considering the shortages (Impact of Thailand), possible price increases, when would be the best time to buy, etc.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
    Merry Xmas folks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    A typical brand new SUV would cost more than 900K. Would you consider an MPV instead? because you mentioned space as one of your criteria and probably your mom will be riding more people with those auntie and kids.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    A typical brand new SUV would cost more than 900K. Would you consider an MPV instead? because you mentioned space as one of your criteria and probably your mom will be riding more people with those auntie and kids.
    Hey Retz,

we probably would. If we do decide ever to go with an SUV it would likely be a 2nd hand one.

Rpp

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    Can't you read? It clearly says 2nd hand.

--

* topic:

Ok na yung Hyundai service as of now. Just depends on what dealer you will deal with. Meron lang talagang masungit kaya hindi ka masyado naasikaso. The tsikot has a good number of Hyundai owners, so as to whom should you deal with, they have their own recommendations. But as of now, the recommended dealers are Hyundai Greenhills & Hyundai Dasmarinas.

MPV's are generally hard to maneuver especially for girls. Though they are narrow, they are long. And as a mom, she would probably like to have her life easier especially when it comes to metro manila driving.

The Honda Jazz is spacious for a sub-compact, it has a space big enough for several balikbayan boxes. And knowing girls, they hardly bring in stuff that takes a lot of space. Usually, the only thing they bring in are bags of different varieties -- shopping bags, grocery bags and personal ones.

The Honda Civic you are referring to is still the current one. I have one, 07 though. But the engine and comfort are technically the same. Engine response is superb, though the ride is stiff. Your mom may not like it. Trunk space is so-so. And the hood is invisible from the driver's seat. It again may not be wanted by your mom. You can ask though if she's okay with that.

The Altis is okay, ride is plush and space is generally big. From what I am seeing, you are eyeing at the 1.6G A/T unit, which can be thirsty in fuel due to its only 4A/T not that bad, but then having an extra gear will always be likened.

In my opinion, the Elantra is the best bet. So far there have been no problems regarding it, unlike the Accent which has problems popping out one after the other due to the dirty fuel we have here. So you may skip on that.

Goodluck with your purchase!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

Fortuner (2nd hand)

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    TS you might want to consider also the Avanza G AT.

Pasok din sa budget mo.

But I would also really consider the Honda Jazz since car talaga preference mo.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the responses.

*renzo_d10 - Totoo yung sinabi mo sir lalo na dun sa hindi kita ung hood. Given that we just tried out the Jazz at medyo yun ung napansin nya naiimagine ko lalo na pag Civic.
    > Ano ung range ng consumption ng altis na 1.6G? Malaki at mararamdaman talaga ung difference?
    > I was really impressed with the Elantra. Was able to drive it for a month but considering my budget I'll need to stretch it a bit to cater to the top of the line variant. Still having thoughts though on reliability of service, etc.

*Retz - That is one of the options. But still a bit weary in buying a 2nd hand car especially one before '09. Probably if we know someone personally selling theirs at the right price - this might take forever!

*Ry_tower - Innova was actually one of the options. Isn't the Avanza underpowered? Ano ba general feedback sa kanya sir?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    nissan grand livina sir. alam ko pasok sa 900k budget mo.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer101173 View Post
    nissan grand livina sir. alam ko pasok sa 900k budget mo.
    *Spencer - Yun nga bro. I am still trying to actual research more on it. Mukhang ok din na choice e. Do you have any first hand experience with using it? Will probably also try going to a dealer and check it out.

RPP

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last I've heard, the Altis makes 11km/L on city driving, but that's manual.

Less 1-2 km/L, you should get around 9-10km/L on an automatic.

Not bad since my 1.8L Civic makes around 8-9km/L on the city, and that's manual. Though I shift a little bit too late. Tried an eco-run once -- mixed: highway + city -- topped at around 14km/L. Ehe. That's sooooo boring, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mom car