New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    For those of you who have any experiences with both the Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8L and Nissan Patrol Super Safari 4.8L (Gas Variant),what are the advantages of each over the other?Which among the two is faster?
    Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    why would you want a faster ride and then you are driving an SUV???

Anyway, the Patrol is faster... Pajero has shorter ratios taken from rally experience and speed limited. Similar to Evo's.

Obviously, the Pajero consumes less.
    iam3739.com

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    why would you want a faster ride and then you are driving an SUV???

Anyway, the Patrol is faster... Pajero has shorter ratios taken from rally experience and speed limited. Similar to Evo's.

Obviously, the Pajero consumes less.
    Please forgive the ignorance as I still don't know much about cars and trucks yet.Anyway,what do you mean by shorter ratios and speed limited?
    Thanks.

Killer Angel

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hello Killer Angel,

First of all, I forgot to tell you welcome to tsikot!
    Now with regard to your question, as I was searching the ratios of the two... Parang mas lamang na ang Pajero Gen 3.75 (my signature) with 0.731 compared to Patrols 0.850. The lesser the number = more top speed.

Anyway, Pajero has a speed limiter limited to 180Kph where you cannot exceed more. But its possible to turn it off.

To help you further, top speed of these SUV's arent really important since SUV's have high center of gravity. Even if you put driving aids, anti-roll devices, it will never cheat the law of physics. Even with the Patrols wide width, there has been incidents of rollovers in Europe. I suggest that you buy a car instead since they are better on high speeds and cornering speeds. But since you said you need a weekend offroader, a car wouldnt fit to your needs.

Straight line on the other hand, I still think the 4.8L Patrol has the edge, Dubai spec Patrols reach 220kph. The Pajero is limited to 180kph (manufacturer set) for safety reasons.

Off-road, the Patrol is superior with its solid front axles that are easy to modify. But its really rough inside, doesnt feel comfortable and harsh. When driving in the city, the Pajero wins. Offroad with the Pajero makes you feel more professional even if you are still novice. With Mitsubishi's master of traction control, the Pajero can go no boundaries. There has been a lot of testimonials in Australia about stock Pajero's tailing heavily modified Patrols with lockers all around and considering that these Pajero drivers only had a 2" lift in them. They really feel expert offroaders.

On-road, the Pajero wins big time. The independent suspension makes the Pajero handle well in corners and bumps. Its comfortable to drive as well.

Engine: We are talking to 6G75 3.8 Mivec, its the engine of the Pajero EVO for the last 3 years but tuned to get 280 hp street Pajero only gets 250hp. The 4.8 Patrol (not so familiar) I heard issues about them in Aussies, they really guzzle gas as well but theyre powerful.

If I were to buy an SUV, I'd go with the Pajero. It met the balance of everything. A city companion during weekdays and farm companion during weekends. Its a handsome swiss army knife. And it looks like a Range Rover.

But give me the diesel please.
    Last edited by drey; July 3rd, 2007 at 08:47 PM.
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On road, the Pajero rides way better than the Patrol. Also handles better due to independent suspension and lower center of gravity.

Off-road, the Pajero will still have the edge in low traction situations because of the idiot proof Super Select 4wd and M-ASTC unless you are well versed in the use of the more basic mechanical/manual 4x4 system found in the Nissan Patrol.

Test drive both first. Some buyers have buyer's remorse after purchasing a Patrol and realizing that it sometimes rides like a Kalesa. hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I thought the Pajero was speed limited to 170kph.

Anyway, I've owned a GU Patrol 3.0TDIC and now I have the new Pajero 3.2 diesel. The Pajero is a LOT 'comfier' to ride and drive than the Patrol. The Pajero, being narrower, is easier to park. But the 4-wheel independent suspension of the Pajero will cost more in maintenance. Some Pajero owners in Australia have complained that the Pajero's wheels is hard to align and their tires always have uneven thread wear. The Patrol's rigid axles front and rear are bulletproof. The only maintenance is changing the gear oils and greasing.

On-road, you can't use the Patrol's 4WD system since it doesn't have a center differential. The Pajero's Super Select 4WD system have a center differential, which means you can engage it into 4WD mode even while cruising at up to 100kph. This is great when the road is wet you need more traction.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Sir boybi, kung uneven thread were sya... then the tire is unaligned nga...
    iam3739.com

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, mahirap daw makuha yung correct alignment for the Pajero. When I had my Pajero aligned, ang ginamit ng Mitsu casa was the alignment setting for the Triton/Strada. Yun daw kasi ang advise ng planta sa kanila. Pero hindi parin maayos yung alignment.

Baka mas makuha pa ng mga non-computerized alignment ito

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Yup, mahirap daw makuha yung correct alignment for the Pajero. When I had my Pajero aligned, ang ginamit ng Mitsu casa was the alignment setting for the Triton/Strada. Yun daw kasi ang advise ng planta sa kanila. Pero hindi parin maayos yung alignment.

Baka mas makuha pa ng mga non-computerized alignment ito
    OT: Do they use laser?
    iam3739.com

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    OT: Do they use laser?
    Nope. Eyesight lang yata gamit nila

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8L VS Nissan Patrol Super Safari 4.8L (Gas Variant)