New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Just curious guys, I would like to compare the two because they both have twincam 2.0 l engines, both as manual, about the same size and were released as limited edition. I'd like to know if they have similar performance characteristics.

thanks

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Well, they both have 2-liter engines with over 140 hp. The Galant is about half a decade older than the Lynx and is slightly bigger. The VR4 of this Galant model was used in WRC before Mitsu switched to the Lancer Evo. It should have similar handling characteristics, but slightly less sophisticated to to the absence of 4WD and a more advanced suspension system.

The Lynx has the best chassis in its class. It's virtually track ready. The torque is also useful for inching out of traffic. Niky owns a car like this. Try asking him about it, but as far as I know, he really enjoys his ride.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    Well, they both have 2-liter engines with over 140 hp. The Galant is about half a decade older than the Lynx and is slightly bigger. The VR4 of this Galant model was used in WRC before Mitsu switched to the Lancer Evo. It should have similar handling characteristics, but slightly less sophisticated to to the absence of 4WD and a more advanced suspension system.
    I guess handling characteristics is different from the VR4, other than the absence of the 4WD system, the GTi also has a beam axle rear suspension.

Lynx RS should handle a bit better I guess...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ahaha... ginawa mo rin palang thread... here's what I posted in the top speed thread:

Here's a good article from motioncars.com comparing the two... very accurate too, especially with regards to the RS's faults. (high-engaging clutch, notchy gearshift)

I think Ang's gripe about ergonomics on the RS merely reflect his well-known Mitsubishi bias... ...the ergonomics and control placement are all very good, except for the foglight button (pretty far away from the control stalk... prefer Nissan's foglight accessory ring on the light-stalk).

Still, good reading. Except that the RS has been proven to hit 0-100 in 8.2 - 8.3 (Car&Driver... plus some local "testing") as opposed to the 8.7 as quoted by some websites.

http://www.motioncars.com/archive/ti...e58/feature_1/

In addition, the RS also has an original Nardi Leather steering wheel, and a 2.6 - 2.8 turn steering rack (about the same as the Hyundai Coupe). It's nimbler than the Galant, but then, the Galant is also pretty light for a two liter car.

As for buying one, I've heard that the hydraulic lifters of the GTi can't be maintained by just any mechanic... though there are quite a number around who know how to work with it. Also, a GTi is a good base for swapping in 4G63-Ts....

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    In addition:
    Yes, the RS is virtually track ready. Up against a fully modified 1.6 Lynx (17" mags, sticky tires, full IHE, sports suspension) at the Batangas Racing Circuit, I observed that my cornering limits were still much higher. He was trying very hard to shake me in the slow sections, but I was sitting behind the wheel in a quite relaxed manner... and using much less gas... ergo... in cruise mode (sorry john!). See, the RS not only has better wheels, shocks and springs, but also thicker anti-sway bars, steering arms and a strut-tower brace.

Plus, the torque and gearing was perfectly matched to BRC's infield section. He was only able to stay ahead of me on the last corner (a very fast one) because he had much better tires and could hold as much speed as I could through it. If we were running the same rubber, I'd have just blasted past him there. As it was, I caught up with him easily, and sat behind him for a few laps because he was making it awfully difficult to pass.

The only letdown really, are the stock tires and mags. The mags are 16x6, and quite narrow... which allows the tires to fold under during cornering, eliciting understeer if you're carrying a lot of speed. We're going the the Subic Raceway later this month, and I'm planning on swapping to 16x7 or 17x7.5 mags and Advan Neovas.

The RS has ruined me for other cars. In the slalom, it's so easy to place that I had a hard time doing the same thing with a Focus, as I'm so attuned to the Lynx's steering. The first thing I do whenever I drive a new car nowadays is criticize the steering... I think I'm spoiled.

The only thing that's difficult with the Lynx is inching in traffic. While the engine has enough torque to allow you to do this, it gets tiring working the clutch in gridlocked traffic, as it bites so high, and it can get hard to use if it gets too hot. But that's probably the only gripe I have left. I'm used to the notchy gearshift already.

Oh, enjoying my ride? Just ask my wife... she refuses to sit in front with me.
    Last edited by niky; March 2nd, 2006 at 06:21 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    The only thing that's difficult with the Lynx is inching in traffic. While the engine has enough torque to allow you to do this, it gets tiring working the clutch in gridlocked traffic, as it bites so high, and it can get hard to use if it gets too hot. But that's probably the only gripe I have left. I'm used to the notchy gearshift already.
    So it's the clutch that has a problem. Isn't that adjustable, I mean the engagement?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    isn't the galant GTi the 6G body? that's not just half a decade older :P more like a decade!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    halos a decade and a half older.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *squala I'm not sure if the clutch is adjustable. It's something I want to look into. The clutch is good when its cold and at operating temperature, but it gets finicky when it gets hot in traffic. It's okay if you're driving fast, but tiring to creep with.

I live in constant fear of the family driver (my mom uses the car when her Crosswind is color coded) destroying it, as every time I ride with him, he grinds the gears in traffic because he can't find the take-off point.

The other big problem of the RS package is the gearshift. When it's too cold, 1-2 is difficult, when it's too hot, the same thing happens. And it's always hard to get into reverse. Most RS owners complain about the 1-2 shift for the first two months, then ignore it when they get used to shifting lightly (not forcing it in).

They had a recall in the US, and replaced the gear synchros with carbon steel. Am thinking of ordering the parts through Ford or Mazda.

The weird thing is, as orly can probably attest to... the gearshift on the 626 is pretty smooth. Weird, huh?
    Last edited by niky; March 3rd, 2006 at 02:48 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    maybe you can do "the honda way" -- replace the 75w90 gear oil with ordinary 20w50 engine oil :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mit Galant GTi vs Ford Lynx RS