New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Its like comparing apples & oranges in terms of performance potential. I assume you are planning to get the hi-end of either car?

The Honda City only comes in 1.3 liter engine. With only around 85HP, there is NO performance potential except if you are planning an engine swap. It would quickly sprint from 0-90kph quickly but trying to get beyond 100kph will have to be measured by a calendar, not a stopwatch.

Handling is kinda weird. The steering wheel gives absolutely no feedback from the front wheels. Its like playing one of those driving games at your local video arcade and even those would give better feedback than the Honda City. The rear end would slide when pushed but control is difficult. The easiest way to slide and control it is to use the hand brake technique, weight shift technique makes this car skittish. Stock tires are made by Michelin and gives enough grip. Not much road noise either.

The Honda City comes with ABS and airbags, fully fold down seats and good all around view. But none of these would contribute for a good car for "performance" upgrades. Maybe if the Honda FIT would be released locally with a better engine.

The toyota VIOS has the 1.5 M/T & A/T versions. The 1.5 liter engine has around 107HP and a very light body (lighter than the City by around 50Kg). In terms of looks, the recent Fort VIOS test drive had a VIOS on display with body kit & mags. Looks good. Engine potential, you might have a problem upgrading the exhaust but the intake would look like a straight forward job. The major downside is the speedo/tach guage cluster. Its fully digital and you might have a problem installing a "standard" shiftlight & big tachometer. Lowering... no idea if the rear suspension can be lowered or even how.

As standard, the VIOS handles pretty well through corners and willing to slide sideways controllably if pushed hard enough, although having crappy Goodyear NCT3 tires doesn't help in meeting the car's full potential. Stock suspension handles pretty well, surprisingly not stiff for a light car but it would plow the front end somewhat in hard cornering.

Note: the VIOS lacks ABS & airbag but makes up for more engine power, manual tranny option and predictable handling.

My vote would be the Toyota VIOS.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    my vote goes to Britney....este Vios pla!
    http://www.unet.net.ph/paul/roninblade/vios/vios_3.jpg

3. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    maybe its only an marketing gimmick by honda....just wait in few months to come....i think honda would release the 1.5 city here just like what happened before...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Tikoyman
    my vote goes to Britney....este Vios pla!
    http://www.unet.net.ph/paul/roninblade/vios/vios_3.jpg
    angas ng vios na yun ah!

bagay na bagay yung porma! mukang altis tlga!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by mk
    maybe its only an marketing gimmick by honda....just wait in few months to come....i think honda would release the 1.5 city here just like what happened before...

malabo yata ilabas ang 1.5 because mawawala market ng
    civic..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The reason why Honda is avoiding a 1.5 City is to avoid stealing sales of the Civic... thats what happened to the City vs Civic

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by ghosthunter
    The reason why Honda is avoiding a 1.5 City is to avoid stealing sales of the Civic... thats what happened to the City vs Civic
    Good point, since they do have Civics with 1.5L engines, unlike Toyota that only sells 1.6L Altises. Also, as pointed out in another thread (i think), there is little performance (3hp ata)added-on to the 1.5L engine of the City vs. the 1.3L engine.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    while we are on the topic of the City 1.3 ... I just saw my first new model Honda CITY with a big shiny muffler. The city was color black with everything stock except for the muffler. Heavy black tint all around including the windshield.

Pathetic if the driver wants to "race" with it.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kinda ot...

i've just noticed... ang daming mayayabang na may-ari ng bnew na city and vios! no tints tapos kung maka titig eh parang naiingit ako sa auto nila! eh hindi naman maka diskarte sa trafik and as ghosthunter said, pathetic...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i've just noticed... ang daming mayayabang na may-ari ng bnew na city and vios! no tints tapos kung maka titig eh parang naiingit ako sa auto nila!

Pre baka may crush lng sayo (j/k) o nagsisi na un ang binili nila kaya naiingit sa oto mo...

Pero un mga ganyan d pinapatulan... mostly kung mukha pang high school o college student ung driver...

But IMO, a modified vios with the 1.5 engine wouldn't be pathetic... coz i think it has capabilities for racing...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
[Merged] Honda CITY vs Toyota VIOS