New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    We are planning to buy our first brand new car this May2011. If the AM are the only choices which would you choose? The car will be used mostly by my wife and we have 3 small kids (ages 8,5 and 2) doing daily errands from our house to grocery (10km), mall (10km) and occasional out of town trips (50km). The car should be the easiest to maintain since I am an OFW and I will be able to drive the car during my vacation only. The car should also be fuel efficient, will be for long term use, new model. I think both of them look mostly the same from the exterior. Max budget is 700k.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    For this class, I would recommend the new Hyundai Accent 1.4. Its the newest in the bunch and has the most power (108ps compared to 85ps for the Mazda 2 and 94ps for the Fiesta) and is the cheapest among the bunch at just 588k. You may also want the old but extremely fast and frugal Accent 1.5 diesel which, I think, is still available for 700k. Are you only into subcompacts? The Adventure GX is available for 708k and the Greatwall Coolbear for 695k.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think the Ford Fiesta sedan is the better choice although I think the Mazda2 would be slightly more fuel efficient because it's lighter.

A third option is the Honda City 1.3L A M/T which offers much better interior space (seating & trunk) than either the Fiesta or Mazda2. Reliability is good and many casas around the country for convenient periodic servicing (every 10,000km).

And the plus, the Honda City 1.3L A M/T comes in just under your P700,000 budget (although color choice might be a little limited).

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    For this class, I would recommend the new Hyundai Accent 1.4. Its the newest in the bunch and has the most power (108ps compared to 85ps for the Mazda 2 and 94ps for the Fiesta) and is the cheapest among the bunch at just 588k. You may also want the old but extremely fast and frugal Accent 1.5 diesel which, I think, is still available for 700k. Are you only into subcompacts? The Adventure GX is available for 708k and the Greatwall Coolbear for 695k.

Thanks for the quick reply, as for the subcompacts actually my wife wants initially an avanza but we do not like the interior of the low end Avanza (613k), no offense to the Avanza owners. The new Accent is a good suggestion but can anybody confirm if it is more fuel efficient than the AM. As for the adventure GX , its an old model already. As much as possible we prefer a new released model.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Since the Accent is just out in the market, I don't think there's a real-life experience with its fuel consumption right now. However, judging by how Hyundai markets its products: affordable and fuel efficient. I can more or less bet that it's fuel efficient.

For starters, do comparisons between the power-to-weight ratio. Lighter the better but you might sacrifice some toys (M2 is lighter than Fiesta at the expense of "toys" like voice commands)

There's still a lot of Adventure out in the streets. A testament to its reliability. But as you've said, it's an old model already.

I'll pass on Great Wall and other Chinese brands. Although they have taken big strides in improving their car quality. It is still a fact that these guys offer poor long-term durability compared to tried and tested Toyotas.

I'd rather get a Vios or City as a safe choice. I still dislike the M2 and Fiesta's second-row seats. But the Accent might trump the list once reviews are out. Go test drive one

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I think the Ford Fiesta sedan is the better choice although I think the Mazda2 would be slightly more fuel efficient because it's lighter.

A third option is the Honda City 1.3L A M/T which offers much better interior space (seating & trunk) than either the Fiesta or Mazda2. Reliability is good and many casas around the country for convenient periodic servicing (every 10,000km).

And the plus, the Honda City 1.3L A M/T comes in just under your P700,000 budget (although color choice might be a little limited).
    Sir, my wife does not like the Honda City since one of our relatives has one and we previously have an old model 98', we opt to choose another model. Sir can anybody tell me which one is the least expensive in terms of owning one, I mean with the daily usage and maintenance? I may change my mind if the Honda City will be the least.I really need an advise on this. TIA

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    +1 on the old accent...

it is fast (very fast), it is fuel efficient (very fuel efficient), and it is DIESEL!!!! (cheaper than gas); the maintenance might be a bit more expensive since it is still a diesel-fed engine but the fuel efficiency coupled with the cost of diesel will outweigh the cost of maintenance...

just be careful of the turbo... just like a girl, kelangan maalaga ka dito...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    The base model accent doesn't have...

airbags
    ABS
    EBD

the mazda and ford duo have ABS+EBD as standard. and only the fiesta gets an airbag.

The rear seats of the fiesta and mazda 2 are just fine unless the driver and passenger are giants-the high beltline just makes it seem smaller. And the trunk space is generous for both of these cars.

The best way would be to test drive these three cars and find out what fits your needs and liking.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by andretti View Post
    Sir, my wife does not like the Honda City since one of our relatives has one and we previously have an old model 98', we opt to choose another model.
    The current Honda City is a really different car from your old 1998 Honda City in terms of design and features. If you haven't visited a Honda showroom, I do suggest that you do go to check out the current model City.

Sir can anybody tell me which one is the least expensive in terms of owning one, I mean with the daily usage and maintenance? I may change my mind if the Honda City will be the least.I really need an advise on this. TIA

For cars with service intervals of 5,000km, they tend to use regular motor oil. For those with 10,000km intervals, they tend to require synthetic motor oil which is roughly twice as regular oil. Given the rest of the replaced items (sparkplugs, oil filter, air filter) are "cheap", there is not a big cost difference basing on the scheduled servicing intervals.

Honda cars use the 10,000km service interval.

One advantage of having a 10,000km service interval is less downtime for the car and less interruption for you and your wife's daily routine.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    consider the mitsubishi lancer cedia too sir. mas spacious siya sa mga sub-compact cars at mas malakas din ang power

para sa akin avanza or lancer cedia na lang, 3 na kasi yung kids niyo parang maliit na ang sub-compact na kotse para sainyo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Mazda 2 sedan MT 1.3 liter VS Ford fiesta sedan trend MT 1.4 liter