New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    hi guys. would like to ask your honest & expert opinions. are ford lynx parts significantly more expensive & more difficult to look for as compared to japanese sedans. concerned 'bout maintenance issues. thanks

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    The Ford Lynx is a 9th-generation Mazda 323, body code BJ. The Mazda Familia is an 8th-gen (BH), and the "box type" 323 is a 7th-gen 323 (BG body code).

So parts availability is exactly the same as the Mazda 323. Which is, not as common as Toyota but not horribly expensive either.

Incidentally the Ford C1 platform (Ford Focus, Volvo S40, Mazda3) is also partially derived from the Mazda BJ platform.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    thanks orly. its reassuring that parts are available & affordable. if maintenance is decent is the reliability of ford sedans at par with japanese brands? i'd like a daily drive somewhat different to what every tom, dick & harry has. no offence ha. input from other lynx owners greatly appreciated

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it's really a mazda 323 with a ford label. so it really is a japanese car..

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Yeah since Ford acquired Mazda franchise in America, we can say that Ford has acquired japanese technology for its vehicle manufacturing for worldwide distribution. I believe the Mazda 323 platform are reincarnated in Ford Lynx which makes some of their parts exchangeable.

I drive a Ford Lynx since 2001 for which I do not find it difficult to maintain. The consummables like the lubricating oils, brake pads, air filters, etc. are very common and are replaceable by mazda parts. There are even replacement parts made by enterprising Pilipinos. The downside is there are more stores offering Toyota parts than offering Ford parts which makes the former more accessible than the latter. But of course, Ford parts are a little expensive (though still affordable) than Toyota parts because price is dictated more by the supply-and-demand factor, than anything else. You can just imagine the costs of retaining Ford parts in your stocks longer than Toyota parts because of slack in demand.

lynx parts & maintenance