New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Shock and spring tuning are completely different between the two companies, even if the mounts are exactly the same. Much as in the Ford Focus and Mazda3... you can put Mazda3 parts on a Focus, but they drive differently.

The Sportage vs Tucson:

Tucson has softer spring and shock rates. It drives more softly and rides more softly over low-speed bumps.

Sportage has slightly stiffer springs, better shock damping and stiffer anti-roll bars. Handling is much better, it's a bit stiffer over low speed bumps, but the ride is well controlled and better on the highway.

The Sorento vs Santa Fe:

Santa Fe has much softer springs. It's more wallowy around corners, and the ride is much softer.

Sorento has slightly stifer springs, seemingly same shock damping and much more aggressive anti-roll bars. The ride is stiffer over single-wheel bumps and potholes, but similar over humps and waves. Handling is much, much more secure and stable through quick turns and swerves.
    Interesting inputs, niky. Thanks! Really gotta sked a test drive.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    3 words. Size does matter.

Apparently.

Was able to schedule a test drive at lunch today. Got to ride shotgun in a Sorento EX 7 seater 2.4L gas variant (my friend was the one who drove). 3 other folks from the dealership rode along at the back. Comfortable ride and lotsa room for a family of 5. Since he's aiming for the 5 seater, there's pretty much enough room the occupants' stuff. The gas engine's accelerator was a bit difficult to modulate though. There were times we were bucking like a bronco. Handling was good, not wallowy.

This was my first time to ride a Sorento. Based on the pictures on the 'budget sorento and sportage' thread, was able to note the different features on the outside taken off the EX to make the LX. Not too bad. Inside, the only major things I noticed were the different HU and the dual climate auto airconditioning system. The rest, if any, didn't seem to be important, or blatantly obvious to me.

Looking forward to test driving a diesel unit. That should seal the deal. Space came to fore and bowled my friend over. Especially when we saw a Sportage in the building's car park right after we took the Sorento out for a spin. Same 5-seater, but for more generously built folks.

Now to convince the CJ about it. Hehehe! There is also still a window for a Sportage, but that is just getting smaller and smaller.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Case closed. Sorento it will be. The missus liked it. Thanks for chiming in guys. Matter of time na lang.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    wag ka muna bumili ng barebones Sorento. lalabas daw 'tong dalawa to at itatapot sa barebones na Montero na tig 1.1M+

new Ford Everest

new Chevy Trailblazer

all stripped down version to compete with the non-VGT Montero. so yun Sorento na LX, mahal pa yun lumalabas kasi sobrang bare.

in the next 2 years, the diesel mid-SUV wars will become more interesting. it's not even worth looking at CUVs like tucson, sportage, crv anymore coz diesel will go back to P30++

ano na na kasi mainstream na ang diesel mid-suvs dito sa'tin, di tulad ng dati parang pinalalabas pa nila na luxurious

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ^ Yun na ba ang tunay na lalabas na bagong Everest o isa pang Photoshop product? Personally, I find the shape rather odd...

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Parang edge

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks! But mukhang no thanks. The LX didnt seem to be too bad.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Those two are surely newer designs, but no, I don't like them. They're striking but not handsome.

I'm pretty sure the Sorento will age better over 3-5 years than either of the two. I also think the Sorento will even age better than the Sportage even if the Sportage is such a pretty car, just by virtue of it being less daring.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Sorento is so unpopular, almost no one will notice how old the model is.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Actually I've been seeing quite a number of Sorentos on the road. Given its initial sky-high pricing, I'd say the car sold well.

Now that they've released even cheaper models, I think more people would give the car a try. Especially the 1.330M diesel. Yung 1.09M na gas, I'm sure lalangawin din yan unless the SA gets to convince the buyer that the low SRP is enough to offset the absurd fuel expenses given the 2.4L engine.

I don't think the Philippine market will be receptive to a 1 million peso gas guzzler.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast