New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Need your input guys. I'm a noob here, registered to ask for opinions regarding a purchase I've long been planning to make. This decision is really giving me a hard time so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

My budget tops off at P1.5m and I'm planning to buy a new SUV. Sedans are out of the question considering the crummy road conditions that we suffer through especially during the rainy season. I go to Nueva Ecija about once a week to do business there and take a day off at our farm on my way back to Manila. I usually travel by myself but weekends are another story since I mostly spend them with my kids (two of them plus an ever-present hanger-on) going all over the metro, doing the usual mall run and whatnot.

Considering I'm on a budget, I've narrowed my choices down to two: the 4x2 Santa Fe and the 4x4 ASX. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison and I guess you guys know why. Things worth consideration are:

Santa Fe:
    -nice size, incredible engine, improved consumption (crdi/evgt), upscale interior... but it's only a 4x2 and the image you get when driving one puts you right smack in midlife-crisis category.

ASX:
    -Tech galore (paddle-shift, CVT, HID, headlamp washer, etc)
    -interior is decent compared to other more plasticky rivals
    -AWESOME multi-select 4x4!
    -love it or hate it looks --i happen to love it. takes away around 10 years from the driver's age. hehe
    ... but it is a bit smallish on the inside, the rear seatbacks don't recline, it's new and unproven (would it go the way of the Outie?)

So there, the source of my indecision. Symptomatic of the mid-age crisis I must be going through. Your help would surely prove to be therpeutic.

Thanks and season's greetings to all tsikoteers

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    i'd go with the sta.fe on this one, more room and higher ground clearance for when you go to your farm. it would suck for the people who would sit on the back of the ASX on those long trips.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; December 8th, 2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: sanitizing

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    And did I mention the ASX's telescoping streering, push start/stop button, keyless entry, and 7 dual stage airbags? That weeny bit of an SUV is really feature-packed... i suppose that justifies the hefty price tag

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I would go for the Santa Fe for the powerful engine, comfortable ride, and bigger interior cabin. Sure it does look a bit older, and perhaps that could reflect on the driver, but that would depend on one's taste. I'm closing in on the mid-30s and on the heavy side, so perhaps that's why I value a bigger and more spacious cabin.

If you really needed the 4x4, then the ASX. But then, I feel, if it's really a 4x4 you need, you'd better be going for a 4x4 pick-up.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    i'd go with the sta.fe on this one, more room and higher ground clearance for when you go to your farm. it would suck for the people who would sit on the back of the ASX on those long trips.
    Yep, right now I'm leaning more towards the Santa Fe.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; December 8th, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: sanitizing

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by satyricon View Post
    And did I mention the ASX's telescoping streering, push start/stop button, keyless entry, and 7 dual stage airbags? That weeny bit of an SUV is really feature-packed... i suppose that justifies the hefty price tag
    If tech and features are your priority, then it seems the ASX is the one to have. To me, it still doesn't justify the hefty admission price coz it's still a weeny bit of an SUV.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    If tech and features are your priority, then it seems the ASX is the one to have. To me, it still doesn't justify the hefty admission price coz it's still a weeny bit of an SUV.
    to add: the asx is a bit pricey if you ask me. And why put 4wd on that low slung body?...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by satyricon View Post
    Yep, right now I'm leaning more towards the Santa Fe. Gotta start getting used to the papabols image, though...
    nasa nag dadala naman yon bro.

i like the ASX also, i think it really looks great and the features it offers is just tempting. yon nga lang the lack of space is a big turn off for me.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; December 8th, 2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: sanitzing

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I'm sensing a very long debate again here.....

you know the rules people....NO OFF TOPIC WHATSOEVER...

now, with your case sir satyricon...

based from the description of your weekly itinerary,

I think you should try checking out other ladder frame SUV's which is fit to the terrain you described...because really, both of the cars you posted will surely have a shorter suspension lifespan if you use them frequently in unpaved roads and rough terrains...

But if you are really limited to the two vehicles, Heres my take on it....

ASX 4x4

personally, I know what you mean when you say crummy roads, and considering the province you've mentioned, I'm pretty sure the 4x4 can pull you out of "Not too deep but sticky muddy situations" if you know what I mean....

Santa Fe

well, first of all its diesel and it pretty much comply in every description you said you'll be needing for as a daily driven car except for the 4WD part....

hope it helps....Goodluck on choosing...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I would go for the Santa Fe for the powerful engine, comfortable ride, and bigger interior cabin. Sure it does look a bit older, and perhaps that could reflect on the driver, but that would depend on one's taste. I'm closing in on the mid-30s and on the heavy side, so perhaps that's why I value a bigger and more spacious cabin.

If you really needed the 4x4, then the ASX. But then, I feel, if it's really a 4x4 you need, you'd better be going for a 4x4 pick-up.
    Not sure if I'll need the 4x4. I used to own a Suzuki Vitara and I don't remember ever using the 4wd even during the few times I had to drive around some Timberland Heights projects in some of the roughest roads I'v been in... and that's with Mr. and Mrs. Client in tow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
P1.5M budget: 4x2 Santa Fe vs. Full option Mitsu ASX?