New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Guys, I'm in the market for a second hand car, 200k budget. It should be a sedan, and will be used as a daily driver, and occassional provincial trips. Engine displacement should be 1600cc and up.

We already have an Diesel AUV, which is why I'm also planning to = install an LPG kit para naman hindi ako manibago sa fuel cost, since I'm expecting to accumulate a lot of mileage on my chosen car.

I've been looking for a potential buy, and I noticed that the best bang-for-the-buck car is the nissan sentra.

Here it goes:

Which is better/or more practical: a stock nissan series 3/4 or a modified s3 with sr20ve (http://www.bigbigcar.com/boards/defa...g=posts&t=2847) (sana available pa) assuming the cost difference is minimal.

Instinct tells me that I should go for the stock and a higher model (year 2000+), but I've read some good reviews of nissan's sr20ve. The sr20 engine may also be newer (or lhas ess accumulated mileage) than the stock engine of the other car.

Though I have no plans of racing, it's just good to know that I'm packing a lot of power under the hood with the sr20. So, which is which? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, the SR20VE is a powerful engine but it does have drawbacks.

One major problem is parts. It is a rare engine and finding engine specific parts for it will be a problem especially if you plan for this car (or similar) to be your daily driver.

Having a car with a stock engine will be better for daily driving because of easier and cheaper maintenance.

If you want more power under the hood, the alternative is the SR20DE engine which is more common even locally. It can be tuned to produce more horsepower, more than what you would need to outrun most pesky Civic SiR on the road.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sir GH,

Actually, it's from your S3 where I got the idea of installing an LPG kit from, hehe.

Assuming that I will be using it for daily drive (60km, balikan), would you recommend I go for one with transplanted sr20de engine? (The one that you posted sa bigbigcar is sadly, hindi na pala available). What's your FC pala for tamed city driving? hehe

I really have no intention of racing, I just don't want to be bullied on the road. 3 years with my diesel auv, and I've just had it.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by b0y37 View Post
    Sir GH,

Actually, it's from your S3 where I got the idea of installing an LPG kit from, hehe.
    You got it wrong.

My '99 Toyota Corolla Gli 1.6L A/T has the Auto-LPG kit. (daily drive)

My '96 Nissan Sentra Super Touring w/ SR20DE runs on good old high octane gasoline.

Assuming that I will be using it for daily drive (60km, balikan), would you recommend I go for one with transplanted sr20de engine? (The one that you posted sa bigbigcar is sadly, hindi na pala available).
    Er... not really.

But if the transplant was done well and the car is in good condition, it can serve as a good daily drive. Just keep in mind that B14 Sentra cars are around ten years or older by now. Finding one (with a SR20DE) that is fresh and in good maintenance (and not raced) will be a challenge.

What's your FC pala for tamed city driving? hehe
    FC in bad bumper-to-bumper crawling traffic = 5 to 6km/L.

FC in a drive from Manila/Subic (one hour, one way) at 160-220kph and back = 8km/L

The FC is difficult to compare because most of the time I drive my Sentra, it will not be tame driving but in some rare times that I do, I got over 8km/L city driving (Mandaluyong, Makati, QC, Taguig area driving).

I really have no intention of racing, I just don't want to be bullied on the road. 3 years with my diesel auv, and I've just had it.
    Well, if you are set to getting a Sentra with SR20, just sign up at the Sentra forums and check the FOR SALE cars. I do re-post some of the ads (at BBC) once in a while but some do get missed as well.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Sir GH, yung SR20ve high output 1.6L ng Nissan tama ba? equivalent ng Civic SIR engine?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    Sir GH, yung SR20ve high output 1.6L ng Nissan tama ba? equivalent ng Civic SIR engine?
    No. Nissan made the 1.6L SR16VE (roughly 160hp) and the 2.0L SR20VE (roughly 200hp) as the equivalents of Honda's B16 engine.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i see... 100hp per liter engines...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    And if you find one of the ultra-rare SR16VE N1 engines, that's 197 bhp, or about 120+ hp per liter.

Rather have the SR20VE, though... more torque.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Halos lahat naman sila Mitsu, Honda and Nissan have that high output 1.6L.

Mitsu has one too fitted sa 90s Cyborg. 1.6L 172hp naman.

Toyota at Mazda lang ata wala.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Toyoto 20V. That's a 170 hp 1.6, with five valves per cylinder.

Mazda never went that route. They used turbocharging on their 1.6s. But they did have the 1.8 liter V8 and the high-out 2.0 four cylinder (FS-ZE, 170 hp) and 2.5 V6 (KL-ZE, 200 hp).

Of course, if we're counting, the 200+ hp 1.3 liter rotary beats everything else in terms of power per quoted displacement... though you have multiple combustion chambers per rotor, so it's more like 2.6 liters.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
LF 2nd hand car: Stock Nissan series 3/4 or s3 with sr20ve