New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Am seriously smitten with the new Legacy GT. But I also considered getting the new Accord 3.5V6, except that it seems too big for my taste. Anyone out there familiar with both? Pro's and Con's?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I, too, was taken by the new Legacy when it was released and made me change my mind at the last minute from buying another car. But the car I was considering was completely different from your other choice: a Hyundai Genesis Coupe. That should tell you something. Get the Legacy if you want a more sport-oriented executive sedan. The Accord should appeal to those looking for more luxury/amenities over driving performance. Even so, I still think the Legacy is the better pick as long as you don't live too far from MotorImage/Subaru.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ramibel View Post
    Am seriously smitten with the new Legacy GT. But I also considered getting the new Accord 3.5V6, except that it seems too big for my taste. Anyone out there familiar with both? Pro's and Con's?
    Have no experience on both cars, but this is my opinion:

The difference is the drive. Subaru Legacy has full all-wheel drive which means that all four wheels are planted to the ground at all times. Very handy when driving in changing road conditions. Honda Accord has only the front two wheels to drive it through the road. So there.

But Accord 3.5 V6 has VCM (6-4-3 cylinder transition, please research) that depends on your speed, so with that it gives an advantage in terms of fuel economy against the all-wheel driven Legacy.

~~~IMHO~~~

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    No doubt, as said above, if you're at all concerned about fuel economy the Accord is the clear winner. Keep in mind that the Legacy GT also requires 95 RON minimum. That said, I don't see most people buying a 2 million peso vehicle for its fuel efficiency characteristics. As was mentioned in another thread, if you want an Accord (or Camry for that matter, why not throw it into the mix as well?) to save on gas (compared to the Legacy), might as well get the 2.4L instead and save even more. The V6 Accord or Camry is never going to win a drag race against a Legacy GT anyway. ;)

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    i didn't know the legacy needed 95 octane gas. thanks for the info. but i guess the primary consideration - for me, at least - is still the performance. fuel economy, utility, luxury, et al are all secondary so in this respect, i think the legacy wins hands down. besides, i think the legacy will be more exclusive, as there will be fewer of them on the road compared to accord or camry. bonus na lang yun.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    crossdx, just read on the internet that the fuel requirement for the new legacy GT is just 91 octane unleaded. which means pwede yung regular unleaded natin (93 octane). i just wonder if it will make less than the advertised 265 hp on 93 octane . . .

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    91 pump octane number (RON+MON/2) in the states is equivalent to 95 RON here sa pinas. ata.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ramibel View Post
    crossdx, just read on the internet that the fuel requirement for the new legacy GT is just 91 octane unleaded. which means pwede yung regular unleaded natin (93 octane). i just wonder if it will make less than the advertised 265 hp on 93 octane . . .
    The SA from MotorImage told me 95 RON was the recommended fuel for their turbocharged Subaru units, the new Legacy GT included. Maybe it will run on 93, but prolonged use of below 95 may result in engine knock. Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk to save a few bucks at the pump. I think it best to use 95 as per recommendation, especially if that's what's listed in the owner's manual, though in a dire emergency I'm sure lower octane can be used (like if you need to refuel in the middle of nowhere and can't find a decent gas station) without much trouble as long as you don't make dire emergencies a habit.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    91 pump octane number (RON+MON/2) in the states is equivalent to 95 RON here sa pinas. ata.
    Yup... 91 octane in the US (AKI) is usually comparable to 95 RON.

-

The one advantage of the Legacy is the upgradeability, and the availability of AWD for snowy or icy conditions.

In the Philippines, though, the most you'll have to deal with is rain. And in the rain, tires are more important than AWD.

Most FWD cars tend to keep going in a straight line when hydroplaning... same as with AWD cars. The safety of AWD cars is better than that of RWD cars in the rain, but against FWD cars, safety is similar. I've driven FWD cars off-road, in mud, gravel and dirt... and they act quite similar to AWD when they get sideways... just countersteer and add some gas and they straighten out.

That said... the Legacy should be safer because it has better tires than the Accord... whose Michelins are quite unsuited to the amount of power available.

The Accord is still the more luxurious car, but the Legacy is more like the Mazda6... more fun to drive... and it has much more power than the 6, too.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Legacy sedan hands down, heck if the Camry was included among your choices, I'd go for it over the Accord ONLY.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Legacy or Accord