New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Hi, for use as a daily driver, which would be better in terms of reliability (that every morning, there would be a higher probability that the engine would start and the car would not stall on the road and a longer interval in-between beakdowns), availability of "non-casa" repair and maintenance support (meaning available shops and parts in the market for change oils, tune-ups, and other periodic maintenance activities), and value for money/bang for the buck.

However, fuel consumption is NOT a consideration - it doesn't matter how thirsty the engine is.

1.) 99+ 3-series (E36)
    2.) 97+ Ford Expedition 4x2
    3.) 97+ Mitsubishi Pajero
    4.) 97+ Nissan Safari

Budget is approx 500K

Gracias

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    The Pajero for me, high maintenance kasi masyado yung BMW E36 (had one before), yung Exped saka Patrol masyadong malaki pang everyday if you don't have a driver, kakaasar mag park ng Exped, yan ang pinaka ayaw ko gamitin na car sa amin I only use it for long trips or pag no choice na.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I see. Failed to add that it would mainly be used in open-road trips - 95% expressway travel, so the size wouldn't really matter in terms of the Exped and the Safari.

If we take away that factor, might it be a beter deal than a Paj? Price difference is surprisingly significant - with a '98 Paj (Fieldmaster?) costing around 200K more than a same-year Exped. Paj and Safari of the same year cost almost the same, so the Exped seems promising. The E36 then is out of the question due to the issues mentioned (as what others have mentioned in other threads i.e. electrial issues).

Any other inputs?

Gracias.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    It really depends on what's important to you. Here are my inputs:

A BMW E36 is a compact car. Similar to Corolla, Civic and the likes and they all belong in the same size category. If space is not really a concern, this is a good choice. However, be prepared to spend on maintainance as this is not cheap, BUT is reliable. Personally, this particular car does not appeal to me at all. It's a bimmer but it looks kinda cheap to me. I'd rather get an older E34 (5-Series) than this for the same price. I sold a 1990 520i for Php350k a few months ago. No offense to BMW owners and aficionados.

An Expedition is a really comfortable ride and can give you decent mileage on the open road, but can be very thirsty for city driving. This vehicle also offers the most "bling" for the buck as traffic enforcers, public utility vehicles, etc. are intimidated by this.

A 1997 Pajero is VERY common. Perks of such is cheaper parts and more mechanics/shops know how to service this vehicle. Some believe that this vehicle is underpowered (2.0l 4d56T Turbo-charged engine), but some believe that the power is just right. Quite comfortable and gives you an advantage in rough roads and floods.

1997 Patrol Safari Series is a truck. Don't expect this vehicle to be comfortable. It's 4l Naturally aspirated engine gives the power when you need it and delivers. However, this can also be thirsty, even if it's a diesel. Looks can be deceiving. It looks huge on the outside but it's really cramped on the inside. The only thing that this vehicle is generous on is the headroom.

Also, try to do a Search on the mentioned vehicles. I think OTEP made a very good feedback on the Patrol and Pajero, if my memory serves me right. Good luck and I hope this helps!
    Last edited by russpogi; November 19th, 2007 at 12:30 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The most comfortable for groups of people on long road trips amongst these cars are the Expedition and the Pajero.

The Expedition, if you don't mind gas consumption, is a terrific long-distance cruiser... lots of torque means low revs at highway speeds, and the extra weight smooths over most road imperfections. There's tons of space... and if we're talking an extended wheelbase version, there's also a third row that'll fit half a basketball team.

The downside is replacement parts. Ford doesn't carry all the parts you might need for the Expe, and any problems with the automatic transmission will be $$$. You'll wear out brakes quickly, due to the weight and speed. Still, there's a good reason it's one of the first choices of politicians who live in the province.

The Pajero is much smaller, but it's also a good cruiser. It's very comfortable for a ladder-frame vehicle, and it has just enough power and space. I'm not familiar with the specs of the 1997 model, though.

The Patrol? It's a truck. Great if your trips include some poorly paved portions, but the other two SUVs are more comfortable.

The 3-series? Same with russ... go for a 5-series for more space and luxury. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Patrol Safari for me... as long as it's in good condition and maintained properly you shouldnt worry much about breaking down in the boonies. Regular maintenance items are easily available but the problem you face really is finding a good unit.

No holds barred, the Expe is the winner in terms of speed and comfort though.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the replies.

Seems now that the Paj is more to suited to my requirements - considering reliability/maintenance and long-distance, open-road trips.

I am inclined to assume that most of the impressions of the Paj are of the Diesel variant. Could the same be said of the 3.0L V6 petrol-engine powered variant?

Gracias.

Late-90's BMW 3-Series vs. Ford Expedition vs. Mitsubishi Pajero vs. Nissan Safari