New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Greetings!

I am planning to buy a car some time this year, but I really really don't have an idea what to buy that I will not regret.
    Choices are:

1) Lancer GLXi 95(1.6L EFI if I am correct)
    2)Mazda 323 Gen 2 Familia 96-98(1.6L EFI)
    3)Nissan Sentra Ex Saloon 96-97(1.4L-1.5L EFI)
    4)Nissan Sentra Suoer Saloon 95-97(1.6L EFI)

All of them are M/T of course.By the way, regarding in the availability of Spare Parts, I live in Cabuyao Laguna. Please help me to compare them by:

1) Fuel Efficiency(Fuel Consumption: City & Hi-way driving)
    2) Spare Parts Availability & Price List for better comparison
    3) Interior & Exterior Design
    4) Durability of the car itself and or its spare parts
    5) Maintenance Wise(Frequency)

Thanks a lot.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Although the Mazda 323 Familia is a nice car overall, it is a gas guzzler. SO I would suggest against choosing that car.

As for information on the Nissan Sentra 95-97, click on the link below:

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53898

3. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Oh, ok, uhm, in anyways, there are all 1.6L engines, so don't they consume gas in the same amount? Don't they have the same KM/L? Since they are all in the same year, like Lancer GLXi 95(1.5L), Mazda 323 Gen 2 Familia 97(1.6L) vs Nissan Sentra Ex Saloon 96-97(1.4L) or Super Saloon(1.6L)?

If that is the case, what could be the best to maintain? I mean the frequency of maintenance? Does the spare parts of the vehicle respectively get easily broken? Any idea of their price list for better comparison?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If I were to choose here's what I will have.
    1. Nissan Sentra Super Saloon 95-97(1.6L EFI) - All power, superb air-conditioning, not sure if this model comes with ABS and airbag (but I guess it does)

2. Mazda 323 Gen 2 Familia 96-98(1.6L EFI) - All power, very nice aesthetic wise with ABS and Airbag
    here's the MTP site for your reference...http://www.mazdatech.org/community/

3. Nissan Sentra Ex Saloon 96-97(1.4L-1.5L EFI) - Superb air-conditioning, not all power though and no airbag.

Regarding with gas consumption of a Mazda 323 EFI, I beg to disagree with the previous post. Kung matic oo agree ako, pero manual pinaguusapan natin, with proper maintenance others claim that you can get a decent 10-11km/li out of this car, at par with the Sentra Super Saloon models which others claim to consume at an average of 10-12 km/li.
    As for spare parts very abundant mga spare parts of both cars, price also ranges the same with toyotas, wag ka papaniwala na kesyo mahal parts and Nissan o Mazda, lumang tugtugin na po yan.
    Durability - as long as you buy genuine replacement parts, it would take you a while to replace it again, driving habit also contributes to durability of your parts, kahit oem pa binili mo kung bara bara ka naman magmaneho e bibigay din yan sooner than expected.
    Maintenance frequency - just like all other cars...change oil every 5000km or every 3 months, check underchasis every 6 months or 1yr. Change brake fluid every yr. etc...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Svertalfheim View Post
    Greetings!

I am planning to buy a car some time this year, but I really really don't have an idea what to buy that I will not regret.
    Choices are:

1) Lancer GLXi 95(1.6L EFI if I am correct)
    2)Mazda 323 Gen 2 Familia 96-98(1.6L EFI)
    3)Nissan Sentra Ex Saloon 96-97(1.4L-1.5L EFI)
    4)Nissan Sentra Suoer Saloon 95-97(1.6L EFI)

All of them are M/T of course.By the way, regarding in the availability of Spare Parts, I live in Cabuyao Laguna. Please help me to compare them by:

1) Fuel Efficiency(Fuel Consumption: City & Hi-way driving)
    2) Spare Parts Availability & Price List for better comparison
    3) Interior & Exterior Design
    4) Durability of the car itself and or its spare parts
    5) Maintenance Wise(Frequency)

Thanks a lot.
    AFAIK the Mazda 323 is a guzzler even in M/T guise due to the gear ratios of the transmission which are very bad for good fuel mileage. I would suggest either the Lancer GLXi or the Sentra Super Saloon (or Super Touring if possible). The Lancer GLXi is a very good car. I have a relative who had one and he lives in Baguio. No problem with the power, fuel mileage is good and it served him with over 200000kms on worry free driving. AFAIK the Sentra has more features like ABS and driver's arbag. You can also get newer units for the same price as compared to the Lancer.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not just the gears... there's an issue with poor factory programming for the stock 323 ECU which makes them really guzzly. Supposedly the Mazdaspeeds are better (different ECU flash) but good luck finding one... with the better ECU, sportier suspension and flash bodykit, Mazdaspeeds are kind of rare.

I'd go for a Sentra in good condition, myself... the 1.4 EX Saloons are pretty good all around.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    If you decide on the lancer, save a few more thousand and get the pizza version (96 up model). It no longer has the servo problem of the lower year model.

On the mazda familia, it's terrible fc is in a/t but manageable in m/t models. Just look for a well-maintained unit. Better, get the ford lynx (they share platform with the familia and newer).

Lancer GLXi 95 vs Mazda 323 Gen 2 Familia 97 vs Nissan Sentra  Ex Saloon 96-97