New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi Guys,

Currently keeping an eye out for a possible replacement of our '05 Gen 3 Starex GRX CRDi. It's still working fine, not heavily used for the first 4 years, but it is getting a little old and I do not want to be around when something big breaks.

Anyhow, these are the specific models I'm looking at as its replacement, since they are probably about as flexible moving people and/or cargo as the Gen 3. I'm only considering sourcing from local dealers (i.e. HARI and Kia Phils only) though:

Kia Carnival LWB
    1) EX - P1.695M
    2) LX - P1.595M

Hyundai Grand Starex CRDi
    1) VGT Gold - P1.818M
    2) VGT GLS - P1.703M

Ultimately, it's really meant to be a showdown between the Carnival LWB and the Grand Starex CRDi, hence the thread's title. However, I indicated 2 models of each to emphasize another point, whether the additional P100K+ between top end and lower model would be warranted due to the additional features/accessories, so kindly include your comments as well.

Things I'm considering, but not in any particular order to allow for a more objective discussion of each point:
    1) Flexibility/use of space - With the Gen 3's flexibility as the benchmark, which one makes the best use of space? Which one has the most space?
    2) Mobility/Daily driver - The Gen 3 is used as a daily driver, which one's gonna fit the bill?
    3) Fuel consumption
    4) Ride comfort/stability - The Gen 3 has a soft ride which can be too bouncy at times. High speed curves are a no-no as the rear tires already lose traction. The Grandia has better cornering as it could go faster on the same curves.
    5) Overall vehicle assessment

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Carnival is more sophisticated, offers better handling, and a more comfortable ride. Its got the nod from the American market, which bought these in droves. It dethroned the American minivans in its own home market, in the segment it started. So you wouldn't go wrong with this one. Compared to the Grand Starex,the Carnival has a bigger engine but with lesser power, so the Grand Starex might have the upper hand in terms of fuel efficiency. The Grand Starex seats 2 (or 4 more the 12 seater) more people than the Carnival but has almost no cargo space left.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    When I was shopping for a van in late 2008 these 2 were my final contenders, eventually I bought a Grand Starex last Feb '09 from the gray market (Pitstop). The Grand Starex was chosen on the grounds that it can accomodate more passenger than the Carnival LWB. As you said you are only considering units that come from the local casa, but I strongly advise you to also check out the Grand Starex units offered by the gray market (Pitstop, Hancars, Standout). Before we bought ours, we went back and forth to Pitstop and Wheels Inc. to compare both local and gray market units, pero talagang mas maganda yung sa gray market.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for your replies guys. Perfect that each of you have differing choices, as both sides of the coin are apparent.

Kia Carnival LWB vs Hyundai Grand Starex CRDi