New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Hello all,

My husband and I have been contemplating on replacing our existing car, budget is not more than 900k should we decide for a car or not more than 1M if we go for an AUV/MPV. Our choices (for now) are:

1. Innova E DSL but after reading the D4D thread, we are now not that sure if it's the right pick, our doubts for the vvti model is it's FC, we got no clue.
    2. Altis 1.6G M/T
    3. Civic 1.8V M/T

We have a 1 year old daughter, my husband works overseas so I am the driver most of the time. House to my office is around 7kms one-way, workshift is at 11am to 8pm. Long distance drive maybe 3-4x a year only.

Considerations (in no particular order):

1. Size (the bigger the better! :D) read: it would have been better if it will seat around 7 passengers but can be sacrificed (for now) as there's just the 3 of us (if my hubby is around) plus 2 kasambahay

2. Fuel Consumption and maintenance cost

3. Safety

4. After sales service

Would very much like to hear all your thoughts. Thank you very much in advance!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    get the innova if youre after size.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Get a 1.3 MT Jazz.

If there are just 3 of you, a big vehicle is a waste... with the Jazz, at least, you can enjoy seat comfort comparable to the Civic (and, IMHO, slightly better than the Corolla) with no sacrifice in space (it's only small if there are five adults on board). Fuel economy is good and maintenance will be easy (every 10,000 kms... so you don't have to go to the casa as often).

And if you need to carry large cargo, it will do as a cargo vehicle in a pinch. Big trunk, huge cargo space if you put down the rear seats. I have friends who use their Jazzes as shop services... carrying wheels and tires (a Honda Civic cannot carry a full set of wheels in the trunk) and sometimes even whole engines in the trunk.

Give it a try, first, though. Actually... best advice I can give: take your daughter and kasambahay with you (do you bring both when you bring your daughter out?) when checking out vehicles and try to sit down in each and test-drive them. If the car fits you, you'll know.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I also agree with Niky. The Honda Jazz would seat 4 comfortably and you could use its fold-able 2nd seat in case of hauling the occasional stroller or supermarket groceries.

Fuel economy - check. What do you expect from a sub-compact car?
    Maintenance - check. It's Honda and is only behind Toyota (taxi kasi eh ) in terms of maintenance costs and availability of spare parts.

Not to mention that it's more affordable than the choices you outlined, but take it out for a test-drive and I'll assure you it'll be more fun than an Innova.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Get the Innova GAS, if you're after the space. IDC if they say na nasolve na yung D4D problems, wala pa rin akong tiwala sa engine na yun.

On the Altis, pretty good ... interior, engine etc. But the exterior, suckish. Ohyes, it is.

Civic ? Forget it. Nakakasawa na yung itsura. Pati nga ako nagsasawa na sa itsura ng akin eh. :rofl01:

You know what to get ... ? Chevrolet Cruze.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    May I know what's the average FC of the innova gas -- city and long distance driving?

Will I be taking a big risk if I'll purchase an Innova diesel? My father has a 2006 Innova G D4D but so far he got no issue with the engine... Is he one of the lucky ones?

I had my eye on the Jazz as well but my hubby feels it is too small but I'll discuss this with him again!

As for the Altis, I kinda like it's exterior (beauty lies in the eye of the beholder ) and do not really care if there are Altis taxis around...

As for the Chevy Cruze... sure it does look good but I have no idea of the Chevy quality and after sales service... .

Haven't done test drives in any...

Thank you all for your posts! Would be very glad to hear more of your comments.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    hey, i'm also a lucky one. 5 years and my diesel innova hasn't shown me the gremlins yet. and i guess the vast majority of us d4d users are just as lucky. btw, mine gives me 350 km per thousand bucks of fuel. but these diesels really come unto their own in flooded streets.
    i'm deciding what second vehicle i want to buy, and i'm a bit worried when i get a non-innova and not like it. but... to each his own.
    Last edited by dr. d; September 21st, 2010 at 12:41 AM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    innova, civic, altis lahat nakakasawa na sa kalye.

I agree with renzo, try to look for Chevy Cruze.

how about...

Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Chevy Cruze.

anyway its your car, basta don't get a D4D Innova, walang nakakaalam kung na-fix na nila ang issues nila pero tingin ko hindi pa rin hehe. kumakarera nga ako ng alto sa fortuner, mas mabilis nga siya pero kita mo naman yung black smoke duh hehe.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree with NIKY that the current model Honda Jazz is the better choice, although I would have preferred the 1.5L A/T over the 1.3L M/T.

List Price/SRP:
    Jazz 1.3L M/T = 742K
    Jazz 1.3L A/T = 782K
    Jazz 1.5L A/T = 842K

Fuel economy is good (although not as good as the 1st gen jazz). Carries five adults in spacious interior and generous legroom for both front & rear seats.

Cargo space is fine for a small family. And the 60/40 split rear seats can be folded down for an expanded cargo area big enough to fit a full sized mountain bike without removing anything. In fact you can carry bigger or more cargo in your Jazz than in most sedans.

Maintenance costs is a bit lower than average cars because of Honda's extended mileage between servicing (every 10,000km).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by p_borj View Post
    innova, civic, altis lahat nakakasawa na sa kalye.

I agree with renzo, try to look for Chevy Cruze.

how about...

Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Chevy Cruze.

anyway its your car, basta don't get a D4D Innova, walang nakakaalam kung na-fix na nila ang issues nila pero tingin ko hindi pa rin hehe. kumakarera nga ako ng alto sa fortuner, mas mabilis nga siya pero kita mo naman yung black smoke duh hehe.
    Mazda2, & Ford Fiesta will tend to be more expensive to maintain and interior very tight & small.

Chevy Cruze is heavy and slow especially when matched with the A/T tranny. The 1.8L engine lacks the proper grunt to haul the heavy chassis. And the heavy chassis will be a big penalty in the fuel economy especially in city stop/go traffic conditions.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
innova dsl/gas vs altis vs civic