New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From: http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...ara-review.htm

It sounds apples to oranges but it was a fun read.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Santa Fe syempre! Parang di maka-alis sa lubak ung Vitara ah hahaha naka-angat pa ung likod nya

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Surprising the Suzuki's "locking" differentials didn't actually completely lock... what's up with that?

Not a bad write-up. I expected the Hyundai to win overall, but I was quite surprised that it could match the Suzuki off-road... especially with the part-time AWD system.
    Last edited by niky; July 31st, 2007 at 03:05 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Nice reading. Its surprising how the so called soft roaders can manage to traverse some sticky situations. I just wonder how the local SF variant without the ESC would have faired since the raodtest uses the Aussie version of the V6 SF with this feature???

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    * sir otep...after reading some threads its apparent to me that you are much more of a car expert than me. So what i meant to ask in previous post was..How different would the off-roading result of the SF be if it didn't have traction and stability control like the ones offered by HARI locally.

Will be buying an SUV next month and the SF is on my shorlist. Though i don't plan to do major off-raoding, will the SF fair well in the extreme conditions shown above if push comes to shove???

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I think the 2.7 V6 sold locally has stability control (only 2WD diesel version has the feature removed).

Or so I've heard three months ago....I think.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm...it's hard to say really.

Without it, it would behave much like rig with open differentials. I used to take my Pajero off-roading (nothing too radical) and it had open diffs on both ends as well as no electronic doodads.

Without electronic aids, a limited slip or a locking axle diff, power will always be sent to the wheel with the LEAST traction. It's not a design error, that's really how open axles work.

Traction control aims to control wheelslip by applying the brakes or reducing power. As Mitsubishi has demonstrated with their M-ASTC system on the Pajero, electronic aids can somewhat make up for street oriented tires and a short travel suspension [just like on a Santa Fe].

What it will not make up for is the relative lack of clearance and lack of underbody armor common to most car-based SUV's like the Santa Fe. On the SF test drive unit, my brother clambered over an obstacle that my former '96 Pajero could take on without batting an eyelash. The Santa Fe test unit slammed its underbelly on the obstacle. And without underbody protection (aka skidplates) the SF was in danger of ruining it's transmission and other underbody components.

I'd venture to say that on a slick surfaces, the traction controlled SF would have some advantage. I'm not saying the standard SF will be left for dead, but it will probably demand more from the driver in terms of driving technique to get through the same surface.

But I would never really go intentionally off-roading in a Santa Fe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    i wouldn't off-road my Santa Fe even if my friends tricked me into a mountainous vacation. uuwi na lang ako.

if I'm going to off-road, I'll rent one.

use your SUVs where you have the advantage, sa city para ni-look up kayo ng mga sedans hehehe

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    * sir otep. Thank you for that clarification, very helpful indeed.

* sir old blue. yes you are right...use your vehicle where it makes most sense.

I know there's a separate Santa Fe thread but my next query might still be relevant here. If i do choose the SF next month...question is CRDi FWD or AWD. Without the traction control will the AWD (with 50/50 lock function) still matter a lot on paved roads ( slippery situations at that???). I was thinking what the heck for P125 K more one can get the AWD + Dual airbags. Only major advantage i can think of as Sir Otep mentioned in the SF thread is the additional peace of mind. So is it really worth it. Or will it just be a feature that would barely matter except for the potential higher resale value years ahead having the premium variant???

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It doesn't matter as much, I think. FWD is good enough for daily use. The only advantage of the AWD on slippery roads is that you won't have wheel slippage. In default FWD mode, the vehicle will still track straight even though it won't move forward as readily.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hyundai Santa Fe V6 vs Suzuki Grand Vitara V6