New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hi Guys,

I hope i've posted on the right forum.

I'm a SF owner wannabe. I would like to own a Santa Fe but havent decided between the 4x4 and 4x2 variants? May i ask our experienced tsikoteers what are the basic factors that should be considered in choosing between the 4x2 and the 4x4 variants. What are the pros and cons between the two?

We are a family of 6, (2 kids & 4 Adults). Our present ride is just a [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]car[/font][/font][/color][/color]. This is the 1st time we are having an SUV. Most of our travel are within the city (Thou i'm assuming that we would be travelling provinces as soon as we got one ).

My initial comparison is that the 4x2 is more economical since it has a smaller engine and uses diesel while the 4x4 has a bigger engine and uses petrol. But what are the other items that i may factor-in to compare and analyze so that we can decide which one to have.

Thanks!

Bernard

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First there are three SF variants:

4x2 2.2L CRDi - Diesel
    4x4 2.2L CRDi - Diesel
    4x4 2.7L V6 - Gasoline

From your post, I'm assuming your comparing the 4x2 CRDi & 4x4 V6 variants.

Yes you are right that the 4x2 will be more economical in the long run... it is a diesel (which is around 8 pesos cheaper than gasoline per liter)... and only two wheels are turning (to put it simply).

A 4WD mechanism WILL (in this case am taking about the AWD system) consume more fuel since (1) it is heavier; (2) you need to turn all wheels; and (3) there will be a slight powerless due to the drivetrain (compared to a 2WD).

Though a 4WD has its pros also... the SF will be more stable (you CAN lose control of the 4x2 if you're not careful like when accelerating hard form a stop while turning due to the HUGE amount of torque that is available) in the road (more so if when it's raining or when you're traversing some muddy dirt roads).

Although since you mentioned that you are mostly confined in the city... I suggest that you go for the 4x2 variant. Even though you go out of town, chances are that you will not need a 4WD vehicle (heck - provincial roads are better paved than EDSA). And if jeepneys & trikes can ply the same route - your 4x2 SUV can do that also.

bigbigcar.com Review: Ford Everest XLS 2.5 TDCi 4x2

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Just get the 4x4 CRDi with dual airbags. Price difference is very small anyway.

It's nice to have a 4x4 system since you'll never know when you will need it.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I would still go for 4X2 kapag ako for the reason of fuel consumption alone....

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    mas sulit po yung 4x4 crdi naka dual airbag na tapos 4wd pa. kaso konti lang stock nito hindi katulad ng 4x2 madali lang ang unit

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hi Guys!

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

*mazdamazda: I guess i didnt do my homework well since i just learned that a 4x4 crdi diesel variant is available as well. I got my info from the e-brochure emailed by a local dealer.

From the inputs of mazda, horsepower, tidus and lui, i made a summary of the factors for us to consider it deciding between the 4x4 and 4x2:

1. fuel economy
    2. safety
    3. control/manueverability?
    4. additonal price

We are scheduled for a test drive at 2 dealers this weekend and will let you know of our decisions later. Hope we get to drive the 2 variants to really made a comparison (thou i doubt it )

Things looks clearer to me now. I truly appreciated your comments...

Regards.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For on-road control and manueverability... it depends on how you drive and where you go most of the time.

If you drive like the regular Juan dela Cruz, the 2WD variant would suffice for most road conditions. The understeer (and body roll) of the SF will keep you in check and will warn you if you're already exceeding the grip levels of the tires or if you're driving too fast through the corners. Plus it doesn't snow here in the Philippines.

If you drive quite spirited along mountain roads and the like the extra security of the AWD would be more than welcome. Even having said that... the cons of having AWD will outweigh its pros for most of the time. But if you can live with the higher fuel consumption & maintenance down the road it's worth it.

P.S.

If you want your SF (whether 4x4 or 4x2) to be more maneuverable & have more control on the road... just change the OEM tires to high-performance ones. The OEM Kumhos are decent & quiet but only has an average traction rating.

IMO - tire selection is more important than having an AWD system here in the Philippines.
    Last edited by mazdamazda; March 27th, 2008 at 11:16 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    For on-road control and manueverability... it depends on how you drive and where you go most of the time.

If you drive like the regular Juan dela Cruz, the 2WD variant would suffice for most road conditions. The understeer (and body roll) of the SF will keep you in check and will warn you if you're already exceeding the grip levels of the tires or if you're driving too fast through the corners. Plus it doesn't snow here in the Philippines.

If you drive quite spirited along mountain roads and the like the extra security of the AWD would be more than welcome. Even having said that... the cons of having AWD will outweigh its pros for most of the time. But if you can live with the higher fuel consumption & maintenance down the road it's worth it.

P.S.

If you want your SF (whether 4x4 or 4x2) to be more maneuverable & have more control on the road... just change the OEM tires to high-performance ones. The OEM Kumhos are decent & quiet but only has an average traction rating.

IMO - tire selection is more important than having an AWD system here in the Philippines.
    +1 dito. kasi more on city driving naman ang gamit eh. almost or 100K din ang difference ng 4x2 at 4x4, you can use the extra money for mods. pero if money is not an issue then go for 4x4 if you really want the security of AWD system

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i'm an suv person. tingin ko talaga walang use ang 4x4 even if you go to your farm every weekends. currently, I can drive/borrow a 4x2 Santa Fe, a 4wd Honda CRV or a 4wD Ford Explorer in our family garage

tingin ko talaga napapagastos ka lang sa 4x4 not only in fuel consumption but more replaceable parts pag more than 5 years na suv mo

i just view it this way, if you're going to spend more than a 100 bucks more para mapaikot dalawa pa gulong, is that really really worth it?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i'm an suv person. tingin ko talaga walang use ang 4x4 even if you go to your farm every weekends. currently, I can drive/borrow a 4x2 Santa Fe, a 4wd Honda CRV or a 4wD Ford Explorer in our family garage

tingin ko talaga napapagastos ka lang sa 4x4 not only in fuel consumption but more replaceable parts pag more than 5 years na suv mo

i just view it this way, if you're going to spend more than a 100K bucks more para mapaikot dalawa pa gulong, is that really really worth it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hyundai Santa Fe 4x4 vs. Santa Fe 4x2