New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    I am looking at a budget of around 450K. 2 cars interest me at the moment. The base model Hyundai EON or the top of the line Geely LC GL model.

For the things that matter, the base Hyundai EON only costs P438K but does not have centralized door locks, airbag or adjustable headrests. The GLS top of the line model has all of these plus body color bumpers and door handles but bumps the price to P498K. The engine of the EON is an 800cc engine mated to a 5-speed transmission. Online reviews point to a real world fuel consumption of 16km/l.

The Geely LC (Panda) GL model on the other hand costs P448K but has mags, dual airbags, ABS and EBD and has a 1.3 engine (not sure if EFI). Internet research shows it has has China crash rating of 5 stars and a Euro crash rating of 4 stars. Online real world reviews point to a fuel consumption of around 11km/liter versus the brochures which state a 14km/l fuel consumption. It has a 1.0-liter engine brother which might be better because it has CVVT like Toyota's.

Which would you suggest I get?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Aside from the problematic Accent that Hyundai has to offer, their units seem to be reliable enough. Looking at the predecessors of the Starex, I can somehow say that some Hyundai cars are really built to last long. However, we still cannot assume whether the Eon would perform similarly as the starex -- longevity wise -- since it was just newly released and there are hardly any local reviews available to read.

The Geely LC, well ... it's cute. And seeing the reviews, it would actually make a good beater. Seen one personally and I could say that the car is really a looker, but that stops there. Instinct says that it wouldn't clock hundreds of thousand kilometers without breaking down and spending too much time on the repair shop, since it's a Chinese-made vehicle. And really, what Chinese car brand has proven itself locally ? None. The Chery sucks, you hardly see Greatwalls on the road - same thing with Lifan. The most numerous Chinese vehicle you could see around will be the Foton which makes trucks, and workhorses such as pick-ups. Then again, we could hardly tell if those units would last long.

Bottomline would be how willing are you to be considered as a guinea pig. Are you willing to take risks ? I'm not saying that both brands wouldn't last long, all I'm saying is that we couldn't tell.

There's one unit that has been on our shores for an ample time already and I guess you could consider it as an alternative -- The K10 Alto.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    so far, we have a good experience about China Cars (but still we are not fully satisfied for the China brands unlike the satisfaction of Japanese and Korean car brand can offer, iba pa rin talaga ang tibay ng Japan at technology and features ng Korea), one of my friends own a Chery QQ311 M/T, clocks already 80,+++ kms. and it still have 2 years warranty left. Matulin din manakbo, so fuel efficient harnessing 15km/L for city driving and 20km/L for hi-way, some flaws encounter are: interior especially the dashboard halatang di maganda ang pagkakagawa, medyo "LAGLAG" but still kapit at naglolock pa naman yung glove compartment, its CASA: poor customer service, gas tank cover latch bali agad yung wire, it is China so sometimes we feel that we are bullied by other drivers owning those popular brands,

Geely LC, so far I'm not yet still familiar on this. Even reviews, wala pa akong naririnig na reviews dito, so my advice is settle for a city car from a popular/trusted brand that you always see rolling in the metro .

why not research for other brand also like Suzuki Celerio or Alto K10, Chevy Spark or Kia Picanto.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If it's the Geely LC vs the Hyundai EON, I would take the EON on any day. You get a better quality car by choosing Hyundai as compared to Geely at this point in time.

Photos I have taken at the 2012 MIAS...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    stay away from chinese cars. even in china, they prefer japanese, american and korean cars over chinese cars.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Interior quality of the Eon and Geely are about the same, really... the Geely LC is pretty decent for a Chinese car, especially compared to cars like the Benni and the QQ.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Hyundai Eon is made in India, right? The interior looks plasticky and budget-conscious. 800cc inline 3 engine also sounds rather dismal as compared to the Geely's 1.3L inline 4. Considering the small size, the 86hp engine should make the Geely rather lightfooted. In the end it will boil down to whether the TS would value Hyundai's wider dealer network or Geely's apparent bang for the buck.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah... plasticky... but you oughta see the other guy... ...it's built to fight the Alto, which is also bare on the inside.

Geely interiors are really surprising, but it's still not the best plastic in the world, the engine is a bit coarse and the shifter is just as loose as most cars in this class. I think it will come down to whether the buyer values toys and looks or fuel economy. The Geely's 1.3 is decent in terms of economy, but the Eon, being rated as Alto-level in Indian economy testing, should be spectacular.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    how about great wall cars?? medyo madalas na ako nakakakit ng greatwall car like GW Peri and Hover.. yung hover nila mukhang matibay at matigas ang kaha...

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Geely is one of the bigger car companies in China, right? And if I'm not mistaken, they are the current owner of Volvo. I'd expect them to make higher quality products as compared to lesser companies like Chery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast