New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Advice lang guys please, just want to help an officemate-friend of mine who wants a toycar next year ( me BI, hehehe).
    Limited lang budget kaya he though of Honda, very easy to maintain and easy to get parts, pero mabilis. He likes the EK body but it seems puro EG ginagamit sa karera, kaya he is considering it plus it's cheaper. Im not an expert with this, did have a Hondas before, but they were all stock.

Given same B16 engine with proper mods, intake, exhaust, handling/suspension, brakes etc.

1. which handles better? runs better sa corners?
    2. straight? ( EG maybe)
    3. easy and cheaper Parts /Accessories?
    4. is it safe to race here a converted EK9 Type R?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    im not a racer nor a track warrior kaya hindi ko masasagot yung 1 and 2. hehe

ek hatch lang masasagot ko.

3. parts are same as regular ek's, so anything na pwede bilhin para sa sedan pwede rin sa hatch. except syempre for the obvious parts like rear trunk and etc....

4. yup, its safe kung tama pagkaka convert. pag tama convertion its just like your local sedans. alam ko maraming gumagamit ng ek hatch sa mga track. napapanood ko minsan sa tv eh. either subic or brc.

actually we have in the garage.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    i go for eg, lalo na pag color yellow, with sunroof, black rims... jdm look!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    on the handling, ek is much better if your going for track and yes, the eg is lighter and would make better time on drag rather than an ek (if they have the same motor and mods)

for the parts, id say its about the same. for the mods also is about the same since almost all engines of honda can be bolt on.

hmm... converted? im not a fan of the converted ek's and would suggest to get an SiR instead so as your friend can start of with the b16a. but for the conversion, there are a lot of shops that can do it LHD but it would be costly though.

so in conclusion:

eg: if your planning to drag... slap a b20b engine and basic mods like I/H/E, camgear, short shift, etc. your good to go.

ek: if your friend likes to go track... b16a is a good engine and make it a frankenstein engine. get the head of the b20b, I/H/E, cams, shave that block, and if possible get a turbo.

for the shop that are good in squeezing out the HP:

forcedspeed
    h3 motorworks
    hongly.

good luck on the project!

hth

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    dunno why but me goes for ek. it would be nice to put on some rollcage with it
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The easiest and most cost-effective will be an EG hatch... I prefer engine conversions to steering conversions... engine mounts are easy to fabricate...

An EK would be a better track weapon, I think... if combined with the B16... the front-runners in the higher classes at the PTCC run the EK, while the EG is run by the lower classes (lightness counts more when you have less power) but I don't think the difference is worth losing sleep over unless you're racing professionally.
    Last edited by niky; December 8th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    great inputs! thanks.

what about CRX? any info on pros and cons?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    CRX is a tuner's starter kit. fairly easy to modify and is reputed to be subject to various rocket scientist experiments:rofl:
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Unfortunately, not that common here... and probably not worth the long hard search when you can get a newer Civic EG much more easily. Still... a CRX is worth serious pogi points when driving up against other petrolheads.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    IMO eg and ek hatches are a nice and reliable bunch. Resale value is really good being this a 90's car it still has great value. One can put a d15b, b16a, b16b, b18c. I were to buy a car I would definetly buy a hatch due to the following reasons: Practicality, Easy to maintain, Parts availability, easy to park (hehehe), Pogi Points.... Although when changing engines one has to check the harness if it is compatible with the unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Honda Hatches : EG or EK?