New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Matagtag nga yung 2003 because of the AUV ruling. Those CRVs have stiffer springs to deal with the extra passengers. The new ones ride softer.

And as for crash protection, the CRV unibody is built to strict crash protection standards, thus it's probably safer. One of the reasons the Fortuner is relatively cheap is that it is built for ASEAN consumption only, thus the crash structure doesn't have to be so extensively engineered, translating to lower development costs.

A Body-on-frame doesn't necessarily translate to a stiffer structure or better crash survivability, though the frame itself might survive, the survivability of the passengers is completely dependent on the structural stiffness of the body, not the frame. In a unibody, the body is designed to give way in non-critical areas (engine compartment and trunk) to absorb impact and stay stiff in critical areas to protect the passengers. An SUV's frame stays in one piece but transmits more of that force to the passenger cell... and the higher weight compared to smaller cars means there's more force and inertia to transmit. That's why some US-market SUVs have a hard time passing crash tests.

In the end, there are safe and unsafe ladder-frame vehicles, and safe and unsafe unibodies... and whether you believe the unibody or the body-on-frame is better, the CRV still meets crash standards the Fortuner is not designed to address.

There's a reason they don't sell them in Japan or the US. ...yet... if they do export them to Japanese or European markets, I expect they'll modify them to meet the crash standards there.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    re: crash safety, true that the CR-V gets top barrier crash test scores (probably better than the Fortuner would if the Fortuner were tested), but in a real-world crash, the Fortuner would have the upper hand IF it crashed into another large SUV or a smaller vehicle. weight counts.

a CR-V crashing head-on into a Fortuner is toast. hehe.

that said, personally, between a Fortuner 4x2 and an AWD 2.4-liter CR-V, i just might go for the CR-V. better yet, i'll take a FWD RAV4. the car-based SUVs work much better in the city than the Fortuner (and without 4x4, the Fortuner will be stuck in the city anyway).

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    ...a CR-V crashing head-on into a Fortuner is toast. hehe.
    Exactly... But, I wouldn't test crash my CRV or my Fortuner just to find out...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    +1 on t3h crash test! joke lang po. :D

true, depende sa needs niyo.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Don't rush to conclusions about crashes and ladder-frames versus unibodies in a head-on collision...

Granted, this is against a stationary barrier, and the new F150 has finally aced this test... but the point is, the more mass you have, the more momentum you carry into a crash, and the more likely someone is going to die, whether it be you, a passenger, or the poor schmoe driving the Kia Pride you've just hit.

And against a truck, all bets are off... just look at the NLEX disaster a few months ago.

Granted, the Fortuner is a new vehicle... so in this case... I'd say crash protection is probably just marginally less than the CRV. Of course, the Fortuner itself will probably survive minor collisions better than the CRV.

Like I said, the frame itself is very strong, but the integrity of the body on the frame is what's in question in a crash, and those are two entirely different things. The frame itself won't protect you from a crash, because it's under the vehicle, it's the body that counts.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Hollowman, what's your buying criteria anyway?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stormrider
    Hollowman, what's your buying criteria anyway?

comfortable, nice suspension, high resale value, di nakakahilo pag sinakyan, pogi points kaya nga torn ako between the two kase di makuha sa isa ang gusto ko. May pajero 2003 black na ako. Medyo matagtag at maingay ang interior. Kakairita. Lam ko CRV di ganun. I drove my mom's crv ok naman. kaso walang pogi points and very common na.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLOWMAN
    comfortable, nice suspension, high resale value, di nakakahilo pag sinakyan, pogi points kaya nga torn ako between the two kase di makuha sa isa ang gusto ko. May pajero 2003 black na ako. Medyo matagtag at maingay ang interior. Kakairita. Lam ko CRV di ganun. I drove my mom's crv ok naman. kaso walang pogi points and very common na.
    the new Rav4 or Sorento might be what you are looking for...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLOWMAN
    The Fortuner will give you the same ride as a Pajero or Patrol.

You're better off with the CRV. If that's too common, there's the X-Trail, the Escape and the Tribute (4x2 only).

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    medyo maingay din ba interior ng fortuner?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
are honda crv and toyota fortuner incomparable