New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Mga Sirs & Madames

Alam ko na medyo malabo ang comparison na 'to. Nevertheless i would really appreciate your inputs on this! Im looking for a family car to ride around in, together with my wifey & 5 year old daughter. We love going out of town, (only pag may roll-back sa price ng gas!) kaya oks din ang 5speed A/T which both units have. Weekdays naman QC-Makati-QC traffic ang route namin. Question: which would be the better choice? Gas Engine / Diesel Engine? Have I missed anythings else? Your inputs please! Thanks in advance! CRV or Everst?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Both are good CUV/SUV..
    CRV for Metro Manila .. Everest for out of town trips

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Both have a good range of engines... the CR-V is fuel efficient for a gasoline CUV, with a great 2 liter engine and a... well... okay... 2.4 (we have one... fuel economy is better than the old 2.0, but still bad in traffic). The old Everest was relatively thirsty, but the new one is about average for a diesel vehicle... the 2.5 is peppy enough, the 3.0 is thirsty but has awesome torque.

The CR-V 2.0 has pretty hard seats, you'll have to bring your wife and kid with you when shopping to see if they're okay with them. The leather-clad 2.4 has better seats. The ride is stiff but not as bad as the previous, truck-like 2.5 gen CR-V, and handling is also improved (better tires, too). It's like driving a tall Accord... very car-like.

The Everest is a truck. It has decent shocks, but its ride is a mix of... well... it's strange. My buddy has a more thorough review HERE. It's not as stiff as the Fortuner, but it's not as composed... and that's my biggest gripe... the rear end's response in emergency maneuvers.

The Everest's 3rd row is a bit like a bench nailed to the floor... not very ergonomic, but it gets the job done and is no worse than most. The Fortuner has a better 3rd row seat, but only enough knee room for amputees. If you want useful 3rd row seats, the Santa Fe has the best, but they're right up against the rear hatch.

I disagree with the reviewer on engine power... compared to many other turbodiesels, it's pretty good. Definitely better than many other 2.5s. The 3.0? It's still the best in the class, for me... best torque band. And the 4x4 system is great for off-roading. We've tested the 4x4 Ranger off-road (HERE) and it was a blast. The Navarra is the only diesel truck that makes more power on paper, but there are no 7-seater Navarras, and the large spread of torque from Ford's TDCi has the Navarra beaten in real-world performance.

But since you're considering a 5-seat CR-V, why not shop around? There are lots of choices if you're only going for 5-seats. Pickups like the Navarra and Strada are comfortable (the Strada, in particular, makes a great family car), and there's even the new Montero. There are also a lot of CUVs available at just over 1m that are good value for the money.

Good luck! Bring your family along when you view your potential choices, so you'll know if the vehicle is okay for them in the back. Try to get a test drive (Ford is very accomodating with this, Honda is okay, Hyundai, you need to schedule, and Toyota... well, depends on the dealership). On the test-drive, having a companion in the back to assess the ride comfort is very important, as many ladder-frame SUVs like the Everest and Fortuner feel perfectly fine in front but feel like crap in the back.

Don't be pressured into signing right away, take your time deciding. And get what feels right, to you. Car buying is 50% logical and 50% emotional. Doesn't matter if you're buying the best car in the world, if you don't like it, you won't be happy. ;)
    Last edited by niky; January 31st, 2009 at 11:37 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Hi Niky. Thank you so much for taking time out to share your highly valued insights and for sending the link to your buddy's thorough review of the Everest! I'll be selling my 04 Chevy Optra A/T, para may pangDP sa Everest.

Boss JPG111. Thank you very much for your inputs too! Everest na ako! God Bless!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    worth considering!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60evEr45yzA"]YouTube - The New Driver's Seat - Hyundai Santa Fe[/ame]

Honda CRV (3rd Gen) vs. New Ford Everest (2nd Gen)