New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    [SIZE=3]Head to Head: Honda CRV 2.0S AT VS Subaru Forester 2.0X AT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]This car comparison, brought out the “OC” in me. You see, prior to my “car shopping” dilemma, I had absolutely very limited patience and attention to detail. I tend to look at “the big picture” and overlook the minute details when it comes to decision making. As long as the end results are achieved and the manner it was obtained was morally and legally correct, I had no qualms about any of the options to take when decisions had to be made. This all changed when I had to select my next new car. When it was time to replace our cars, I got very excited because of the many different options available in the market today. Little did I know that the task at hand would soon turn out to be a dilemma that would consume my mind and heart for over a year![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]This comparison is a narration of my personal car-buying experience. It is based solely on my opinion and is meant to provide information to those who find themselves in a similar dilemma. The information presented here are from my driving experience and personal research. My only objective is to share my experience and observations. I am not connected with any of the car manufacturers and do not endorse any of their products. I am also aware that some people will not agree with this comparison. Having said this, let’s get on with the show![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]In the past year or so, I have considered many cars and waited for many new model introductions. The latest Honda CRV 2.0S AT as well as the new Subaru Forester 2.0X represents, in my opinion, two of the most versatile, practical, and value for money vehicles in the country today outside of the AUV segment. My household is your typical wife, 2 kids, and pet shi tzu family. Like some of you, I was looking for space, fuel-economy, functionality, and performance. The car should be efficient enough to drive to work on weekdays, rugged enough to take out of town family trips on weekends, and big enough to do everything else in between – grocery shopping, football practice, airsoft games, and occasional mall or airport duty. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]FUNCTIONALITY[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I believe one of the strongest reasons for the popularity of the CUV is its ability to meet most urban family’s requirements. Both the Honda CRV and Subaru Forester provide the same level of functionality. They have the same profile and their dimensions are within inches of each other. The Forester measures Length (mm) 4560, Width (mm) 1780, Height (mm) 1700 with a Wheelbase of 2615 (mm). On the other hand, the CRV measures Length (mm) 4530, Width (mm) 1820, and Height (mm) 1675, with a Wheelbase of 2630 (mm). Inside, the difference in passenger space between the two are negligible and can comfortably fit 5 adults and their luggage equally well. The CRV provides a flat floor rear foot well which helps free up additional foot space for the rear passengers but the Forester provides more leg room for the front driver/passenger. Rear cargo space is about the same with access via similar rear lift-up gate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]One of the most obvious differences (advantage?) between the CRV and the Forester is the Symmetrical All Wheel Drive system found in the Subaru. Die hard fans argue that this is a safety feature that allows all Subaru vehicles to enjoy excellent traction and balance regardless of road condition. On the other hand, other people claim that AWD is unnecessary in CUVs that spend 90% of the time in the city and just add weight and increase fuel consumption.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]For me, the AWD system is a welcome safety feature. I may not be off-road or driving through rain most of the time but I am glad that it is available when I need it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]CITY DRIVING PERFORMANCE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The Honda CRV is a tried and tested performer. The SOHC 2.0 iVTEC engine is smooth and responsive enough for my city driving needs. Traffic light starts and weaving through Metro Manila traffic is easy and getting up to speed is adequate in most cases. It is easy to drive hard as the engine seems to respond to driver input with linear power delivery. Gear changes are quick ensuring power and momentum is maintained. Only when the CRV is heavily loaded with 5 passengers do I feel that the engine is strained and struggling to keep pace. Otherwise, the CRV 2.0 is a very capable daily driver.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The Subaru Forester 2.0X on the other hand is sluggish compared to the CRV. Acceleration is slow and not at all inspiring. On paper, the Forester 2.0 boxer engine churns out the same 148HP rating but fails to provide the same “take off” rush of the CRV. I am not exactly sure if it’s because of the AWD or the 4 speed AT but the feeling is definitely slower compared to the CRV when it comes to acceleration performance. It simply does not have the “oomph” of the CRV. The Forester engine may be enough for most Metro Manila traffic but compared to the CRV, I believe it is a step slower. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]It is also interesting to note that the Honda CRV’s SOHC iVTEC engine on idle is smooth and is very quiet from inside the car. I always find myself checking the RPM gauge just to confirm that the engine is running. The same cannot be said about the Subaru Forester.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]HI-WAY PERFORMANCE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]On the open road, on a recent trip to Subic via the new SCTEX, the Subaru Forester proved to be an entirely different animal. Overtaking was effortless with speeds ranging from 120 to 140kph. The engine responded smoothly and instantly to every downshift and stretched its legs comfortably. Although I did not push it, the claimed 185kph top speed would have been a breeze. Aside from the engine performance, the Symmetrical AWD system provided smooth lane changes with very minimal body roll. I felt comfortable switching lanes knowing that traction was never a problem and the Forester responding predictably to my input. With my confidence rising, I was inspired to drive more aggressively but had to limit myself within “break-in” limits.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The CRV on the hi-way behaves pretty much the same way it does in the city. The reliable 2.0 iVTEC engine coupled with the smooth shifting 5 speed automatic provides quick acceleration all the way to 150kph. There is enough power on tap at cruising speeds to easily pass slower moving traffic but the CRV is not as inspiring to drive aggressively as the Forester. Because of the taller platform, the driver sits higher and there is more tilt felt when shifting lanes. Overall, the CRV performance on the hi-way is good but not as comfortable as the Forester.[/SIZE]

END OF PART 1

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    [SIZE=3]PART 2[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]INTERNAL FEATURES[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] For me, the CRV interior is designed to be a classic. Its dash board is simple, functional, and very elegant. It is so simple one will get the impression that it is almost bare compared to the Forester. There are no distractions and the driver is surrounded with all the essential controls needed to pilot the CRV. Because the driver seats are higher compared to the Forester, they provide excellent visibility. The information display screen, which sits in between the speed and tach meters, provide the driver very helpful fuel consumption and range distance data. The Audio and AC controls, as well as the gauges, are lit in white and are very legible at any time of the day. The fit and finish are top-notch and the materials used look like they are built to last – typical Honda quality. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] The Subaru interior, on the other hand, is more exciting and hip. I believe it will appeal more to the younger set due to its blue colored gauges and Euro inspired red-lit Audio and AC controls. The Forester interior design is modern and functional unlike the simple and subtle CRV layout. The plastic materials used remain to be seen if it can withstand abuse as good as the Honda. While inside the Forester, one will notice that Subaru provides many features not found on the CRV. These include a 6 disc CD changer with 6 speakers, steering mounted audio controls, cruise control, power adjust drivers seat and moon roof. All these “gadgets” contribute in making the Forester a more pleasant vehicle to own and drive.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]RIDE QUALITY[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] The ride of the CRV is more firm compared to the Forester. Aside from the ride height, the Honda suspension set-up as well as the car seat is harder, providing a bouncier but bearable ride. The Subaru is more car-like in terms of comfort and the seats are noticeably softer compared to the Honda. The Forester feels more stable and comfortable to drive in my opinion.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]FUEL CONSUMPTION[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] So far, my observed fuel consumption on both cars is equal. In the city, I am consistently getting between 8-9 kms per liter based on the on-board computer in both cars. On the high-way, I can easily get between 10-12 kms per liter on both cars depending on my mood. However, the Subaru Forester recommends that I use the 95 octane petrol which is a peso more expensive than what I use in the CRV. Because of this, the CRV is cheaper to run compared to the Forester.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]OWNERSHIP[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] The recommended Preventive Maintenance Service (PMS) for the Honda CRV as well as the Subaru Forester is every 10,000 kms. I have had the CRV for 8 months and so far have clocked a little over 10,000 kms. The cost for the PMS at the Honda dealership was about Php 4,500+. For the Forester, my SA says that the cost for the PMS will be about the same. I will need to confirm this when I come in for service as I have only logged 1000+ kms.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] I have had no problems with the two cars so far. Based on my previous experience, parts have never been a problem with Honda having owned a Civic and an Accord prior to the CRV. Honda parts are readily available at the dealer or at your next door auto parts store. The Forester, on the other hand, is my first Subaru. I must admit, parts and service was a concern prior to my purchase as Motor Image Philippines only has one dealership. But after reading owner reviews on the reliability and durability of their Subarus, I took the leap. So far, I have not found a reason to doubt the availability of Subaru parts and have no intention to break my car just to find out. Also, there are talks on the internet that Subaru will open another dealership in the Philippines – something that will truly boost the popularity of the brand if it happens.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]CONCLUSION[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] The CRV is the popular choice and for a good reason. It is Honda reliable with excellent build quality and a resale value second to none. It has won many awards and will serve the owner for a good number of years. In my opinion, the sheer number of CRVs on the road proves that many people appreciate the value this vehicle provides. You can’t go wrong with the CRV.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] In the Philippines, the Forester is the new kid on the block so to speak. After a slow start, it has started to gain recognition in the past few years thanks to Motor Image. The legendary performance and technology of the WRC rally cars are now available to people like us making it more difficult to ignore the brand. The Forester presents a very strong argument with its excellent packaging, standard safety features, and temporary individuality. Pretty soon, I am sure Subaru will be a more common sight in our roads but for now, let me enjoy the uniqueness of my Forester as I find myself driving the Subaru more often.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]END OF PART 2[/SIZE]

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Very well said and written. :-)

I do believe that Forester is better than CRV.

Even better is the Forester Boxer Diesel (Turbo CRDI H4) released last year.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    [SIZE=3]"Pretty soon, I am sure Subaru will be a more common sight in our roads but for now, let me enjoy the uniqueness of my Forester as I find myself driving the Subaru more often."

Kung ganito ang gusto nung author dapat di siya masyado naging detalyado sa comparo ...
    [/SIZE]

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Parang Greenbelt vs SM Malls. There are tons of SM Malls nationwide but only one Greenbelt.

Would I trade Greenbelt over SM? I don't think so.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    With the new Forester bigger and roomier, it's now my choice between the two.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Yes, yes. Go BDO-SM!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    congrats man!

Two great cars you have there! One for the wife (CR-V) and one as a statement of the family MAN (Scooby).

Though me being a Subaru guy, if I had a family like your's, I would have gone for a Forester and a Legacy Wagon instead, since the Legacy has been on discount recently.... but that's just me

Still, I've been in both, and both are great!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I think CRV is a good choice since it has higher ground clearance compaired to Subaru. and also the spare parts PMS issue.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventoy View Post
    I think CRV is a good choice since it has higher ground clearance compaired to Subaru. and also the spare parts PMS issue.
    You have it backwards concerning the ground clearance.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Honda CRV 2.0S VS Subaru Forester 2.0X