New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    ^^^ I have no idea where all this CVT scare is coming from but CVTs nowadays are much better than those 10-15 years ago. CVT issues before maybe attributed to system unreliability but a lot are caused by poor maintenance.
    ...what cvt scare...?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Care to elaborate why? I mean if there is something wrong with a car that has cvt in that price range...
    Nothing wrong with a cvt in any price range, especially now they are as reliable as a traditional automatic. It's just my personal preference that if I'm shelling out above 1 million pesos, I'd prefer if it had a manual or a traditional automatic.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ...what cvt scare...?
    ano kaya costume ni fafa *CVT sa halloween

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddam View Post
    Nothing wrong with a cvt in any price range, especially now they are as reliable as a traditional automatic. It's just my personal preference that if I'm shelling out above 1 million pesos, I'd prefer if it had a manual or a traditional automatic.
    Hmm, that's interesting. I've been also thinking why there are no cvts yet for new diesels these days. Could have something to do with the powerband or torque of the engine.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Could have something to do with the powerband or torque of the engine.
    Not really. Subaru uses CVT for their 2.0L turbo engines and they have torque output similar to turbo diesel engines at even more power.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Not really. Subaru uses CVT for their 2.0L turbo engines and they have torque output similar to turbo diesel engines at even more power.
    Well, that gas engine is a different story. It produces power at higher rpms whereas most turbodiesels crank out maximum torque at relatively low rpms.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Subaru CVTs are hit-or-miss.

The 2.5 turbo in the XT, the 3.6 liter boxer-sixes and the new 2.0 turbo in the WRX all feature CVTs with higher torque capabilities and extra transmission coolers to take the strain.

At the low-end, the base 2.0s don't heat up their trannies much.

Mid-range... have experienced issues with the CVT for the 1.6T and the 2.5. They suffer from extra heat in traffic, and don't have the additional cooling the big boys get.

-

Also, if the boys at the office are posting the comparo, that indicates that they've received questions about comparing these cars (hey, I've seen much weirder). While size-wise, it's apples to oranges, they're all crossovers selling in that price range, and buyers will definitely be thinking about them. The Fozzie starts at nearly 1.6m, so sort of a mismatch. (pero kung monthly amortization pag-uusapan, almost no difference)
    Last edited by niky; October 11th, 2017 at 01:35 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Well, that gas engine is a different story. It produces power at higher rpms whereas most turbodiesels crank out maximum torque at relatively low rpms.
    Torque peak for the Subaru 2.0L turbo is available between 2k to 5k rpm. You don't need to rev it high.

*Niky - the base Fozzie starts around 1.4M. Cheaper than either the CRV 2.0S or CX5 Pro 2.0L.
    Last edited by Egan101; October 11th, 2017 at 02:02 PM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddam View Post
    Are there still a lot of cars offering a traditional Automatic in lets say above the 1-2M price range? i think only the pick-ups and PPV carry the traditional automatics.
    Most of the cars in the above 1-2M mark seem to carry the newer more sophisticated Automatics like dual clutch, CVT, DSG, etc.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ale828 View Post
    Are there still a lot of cars offering a traditional Automatic in lets say above the 1-2M price range? i think only the pick-ups and PPV carry the traditional automatics.
    Most of the cars in the above 1-2M mark seem to carry the newer more sophisticated Automatics like dual clutch, CVT, DSG, etc.
    All Mazdas, Kias, and Hyundais still use traditional ATs. Ford has also shunned the DCT and went back to the 6AT for the Escape and Focus so they're all old-school slushbox above 1M. Then there's the Camry, RAV4, Accord, and so on.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast