New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    my friends and i are doing some research about this car for personal reference lang namin.
    sa EK at EG, which one is
    efficient? (how many km per litter city and highway)
    bang for the buck (let's say all stock both)
    pros and cons ng EK and EG?
    known issues (like rust)
    parts availability
    which is cheaper to maintain?
    which variant to take mapa EK man or EG?
    etc etc

we're not after the power though of their engines 'cause di naman gagamitin para ipang karera, daily driving lang sana.

my friend might just get one kasi (but not ASAP) and he was choosing between the gsr and those hatches mentioned. pero as of the moment, focus muna kami sa pag alam ng mga pros and cons ng civic na ito.
    although alam naman natin na civic > gsr, kung ipagcompare niyo man sila, please do so na lang din pero as much as possible, ek vs eg na lang sana muna.
    i'm into the EK series myself dahil sa natural niyang porma or itsura pero hanggang dun lang knowledge ko for these old cars kaya i just cannot say go grab the EK dahil that would be just biased sa looks.
    looking for some help mga fellow tsikoteers. maraming salamat!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Given that the hatch is converted, your friend might just encounter problems along the way, especially if the conversion was not done properly. For an enthusiast, and for those who is into cars, the EK is definitely better. Looks wise, talo EG. Rarity, talo EG. JDM-fever, talo pa rin EG. And stuff like that, but as a DD car, the EG might just be better. Having been released locally is already an advantage plus, the wide array of performance parts/replacements to choose from. They're both old, yes, that's why be wary of the unit you & your friend will be buying. Stuff like rust is already a given for the EG, check the corners of the car. Some of them might just have accumulating rust already although the known places are the roof and the fenders.

I'd say get the one that in it's stock form. Purchasing a modded one just increases the risk of having problems in the future, though it may look as an opportunity to grab, it usually ends up otherwise -- headache. hassle., etc.

But if I were to pick between the two, I'd get the EG. Although overrated, I can have the peace of mind that a normal Joe can repair it anytime. ;)

To add : Contrary to what has been said, if given the chance to own one with a budget to back everything up I'd pick the EK Hatch as a Sunday car. But as a first, regular DD car, the EG is still the best pick among the two.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    If I'm your friend and I already have another car, then I'll choose the EK hatch because it's a better car to toy around with because
    it looks better.

However, if it's just gonna be my only car, then choosing an EG will be a no brainer because it's a local unit. Meaning less hassles
    when it comes to conversion issues and such.

If your friend really likes the looks of the EK, then get an EK sedan instead. At least it's a local unit.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    nagustuhan lang namin likod ng EK hatch, we don't like the sedan version...

if ever my friend decides to buy one na, we'll definitely look for something na stock uli or plain stock pa rin. ok rin kung makakita ng minahal ng isang babae na civic para talagang dagdag ease of mind

sir renzo, pa explain naman ng medyo onti pa bakit mas ok ang EG for a daily drive? medyo na-curious kasi kami. familiar din po ba kayo how much ang consumption niya and kung alin sa dalawa yung pinaka efficient? parang may nakita kasi kami dati sa ibang ads na merong naka 1200cc eh since ang liit nun, i'm hoping it gets more than 10kms/L man lang sana.

we'd like to avoid gas guzzling engines kasi daily car ang balak gawin sa kaniya that's why we also want to know na rin guys what engine to look out for
    thanks to all

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    EK hatch, laking risk nyan. sa papers palang, and sa pag convert,dating right hand drive e, baka hinati pa yan sa gitna. mostly ganun e.
    Kung ayaw mahassle, EG hatch, alam ko matipid naman stock engine niya. sali kayo sa civicclubph.com. panay EG hatch andun, try niyo mag ask. :D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    thanks for all the replies mga sir, we'll just continue with more researches pa. until next time! many thanks uli, it was a big help!

7. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Burai View Post
    thanks for all the replies mga sir, we'll just continue with more researches pa. until next time! many thanks uli, it was a big help!
    My third hand me down car was an eg hatch 94. Distinguishabe from 93 model bec of the rear wipers but not power windows like in the 95 model. Renzo is right that enthusiasts would prefer the ek due to it exclusivity, but in my opinion, mas gusto ko pa din eg. Dali ayusan, easy to maintain. Tipid sa gas. Too bad had to let it go when my eldest was born. Masikip na kasi dahil sa subs.

Until now gandang ganda pa din ako sa eg pag nakakakita ako. Clear windows, jdm seats, ferio mags, tapos yung parang oversized rear wing. Im in the hunt for a dd and is considering this along side a 2nd hand jazz, new accent.

8. Join Date
    May 2011
    Mga sirain sa civic of the 90s (eg or ek);
    - radiator. I think during that time, honda lang ang may plastic top na radiators. Kung di napalitan ng surplus, kinoconvert na lang
    - thermostat assembly. Causes overheating. Yung iba inaalis na lang. Naexperience ko to sa eg hatch, esi, crv ni erpat, 96 accord ko ngayon.
    - steering rack. Pihitin mo ng malakas on standstill. Pag may slack, palitin na yun
    - thermostat ng ac. Yung iba nirerekta na. So hindi nag on off ang ac comp.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The EK has more potential as a racer. It has a stiffer body shell and a better stock suspension. It's roomier, too.

BUT: I'd echo everyone else here. Get an EG. Who gives a damn about exclusivity if you're paying over 100k more for the imported, converted EK hatch than comparable local sedan units? For what they ask for some D15 or D16-equipped EK hatches, you can buy an SiR!

The EG is a great little car, and as long as you get one that's rust free, it'll serve you pretty well.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ill go with the EG....i can see more EG na naka setup dito sa AU kesa sa EK hatch....medyo "girlie" ang EK Hatch..

kung gusto mo talagang maging exclusive...EP3R or DC5R.or FD2R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
which honda civic hatch is better: EK or EG?