New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I'd been contemplating on these two cars. I have my own pros and cons but I am not yet decided on which car to buy. I still have to test drive both cars. Tsikoteers, I need your opinions which may help me to choose between the two. Thank you..

Civic Pros
    Japan CBU - quality and reliability. As previous Honda owner, I'm convinced it will never fail in terms of quality/reliability.
    High tech car - Econ, built-in rear camera (reverse)
    Fuel efficient

Civic Cons
    Hybrid of FD, City and Accord (no identify of its own)
    Rear exterior design doesn't impress me
    No paddle shifters

Lancer EX Pros
    Sports car. Maangas tignan both front and back. Exterior design
    Rockford Fosgate
    Paddle shifters (M/T touch)

Lancer EX Cons
    Reliability is a big question mark - known ABS dashboard signal problem. The car might spend time on the casa most of the time for repair.
    Fuel consumption is still a question mark
    PH assembled

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    1. Remember that Mitsubishi in the Philippines is bigger than Honda Reliability of Mitsubishi shouldn't be a question mark with the amount of Montero Sports roaming the metro.

2. I wouldn't give a major plus to Mitsu's Rockford Fosgate system. Even though it's made by an aftermarket party, you can get a better car audio system for around 20k.

3. Civic's rear-view camera is way overdue. In any case, it shouldn't be a significant buying factor.

I'd suggest throw in the 1.8L variant of the Elantra in here too to even things out. Between the three, I'd get the Elantra on grounds of both looking good and its performance. The Honda is newer but I'm dissatisfied with the current pricing.. that's a huge jump in SRP from the previous model with minimal differences. Due to this, the Lancer EX GTA gets my vote here post-discounts. The 2.0L MIVEC engine is a joy to drive from what I heard ;) parts should also be more readily available compared to the new Civic.. for now.

I would suggest you test drive both units and see what you like. If you're young at heart, I think the GTA would be your go-to car.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Jigs,

I think you should put for CIVIC under CONS the supply constraints. For sure, there is a long wait list for the 9th Gen Civic especially since its CBU Japan, JDM spec. So if you're really decided on the Civic, better reserve soon.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Can you wait for the Thai variants? *Baka* may price drop haha

5. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Come on! Don't feel bad with PH assembled! Love your own. Hehehe. IMHO, you should not put this as a CON. There are certifications and standards sa plants. So quality should be within those standards.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    1. Remember that Mitsubishi in the Philippines is bigger than Honda Reliability of Mitsubishi shouldn't be a question mark with the amount of Montero Sports roaming the metro.
    Ser marami narin nagreklamo sa quality ng Lancer EX ah. Like the TS mentioned, yung ABS sensor problem. Malfunctioning stereo, rear side kalampag, Worst I've read is CVT going kaput (buti under warranty). 350k wallet damage in case.

Also, one thing that's holding me back from buying an EX, tapos na yung speedlab promo. Sayang yun!

*jigs_xix
    An Elantra would seem like a better deal. The Civic is nice and all, but Honda ph is explicitly trying to rob us all IMO.

I hate how the Elantra looks though so I'd rather get a Lancer EX GLX and mod the hell out of it LOL.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ang mahal ng Civic! Pero at this kind of pricing, I'd go all the way and wait for the top of the line variant. As for now, I'd go for the Lancer. If you want a CBU Japan Lancer EX, you can look in the 2nd hand market, the initial batches of Lancer EX's were CBU Japan, and I believe that is where the unicorn Lancer EX GT M/T is found. Pero kung brand new talaga, get the M/T variant and let Speedlab do its magic!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Mitsubishi is known for kalampag kahit dati pa. Honda for reliability. i suggest do a test drive and feel the car which suits you and your hearts loves...hehe! If hindi ka nagmamadali TS. wait this mias this end of march. new models may come out and test drive the cars you want. suggests ko din sana new focus kaso malamang 3rd or 4th quarter pa labas nun sa pinas..

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Mga sir, salamat sa replies nyo. I'm leaning to get a blue GTA and pray to the gods that I don't get the unit with reliability issues.

I'd been going back and forth to Honda dealerships to get a glimpse of the Civic. Hindi ko talaga matiis yung exterior design, especially the rear and I don't want to spend 5 years of my life with that. My other recourse is to wait for the refresh of the 9th gen pero I think matatagalan pa ito. I can't wait another year for a new car.

On the Lancer EX, I'd been contacting several dealers. The best offer I got is from Citimotors Makati which is 155K cash discount, free Apple bundle worth 50K (Dragon deals), free LTO registration and 3M tint. Di na nila na-extend yung Speedlab promo to March. Now, I'm talking to Diamond Motors if they can match. Diamond is the preferred sales / after sales service of Mitsu owners.

I really want a manual transmission car so my other option is to buy the GLX variant and use the price difference off the GTA to dress up the GLX. Kaso ang problema, bobo ako pag dating sa car modifications (body kits, rims, etc). I don't know which brand and what specs to chose at baka ma-void ko pa yung warranty. Kapag GTA ang kukunin ko, I don't have to worry about all that; but I'm not getting M/T. My ignorance of car mods may result for me to use a CVT instead, paglaruan ko na lang yung paddle shifters for the "manual" touch.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jigs_xix View Post
    Mga sir, salamat sa replies nyo. I'm leaning to get a blue GTA and pray to the gods that I don't get the unit with reliability issues.

I'd been going back and forth to Honda dealerships to get a glimpse of the Civic. Hindi ko talaga matiis yung exterior design, especially the rear and I don't want to spend 5 years of my life with that. My other recourse is to wait for the refresh of the 9th gen pero I think matatagalan pa ito. I can't wait another year for a new car.

On the Lancer EX, I'd been contacting several dealers. The best offer I got is from Citimotors Makati which is 155K cash discount, free Apple bundle worth 50K (Dragon deals), free LTO registration and 3M tint. Di na nila na-extend yung Speedlab promo to March. Now, I'm talking to Diamond Motors if they can match. Diamond is the preferred sales / after sales service of Mitsu owners.

I really want a manual transmission car so my other option is to buy the GLX variant and use the price difference off the GTA to dress up the GLX. Kaso ang problema, bobo ako pag dating sa car modifications (body kits, rims, etc). I don't know which brand and what specs to chose at baka ma-void ko pa yung warranty. Kapag GTA ang kukunin ko, I don't have to worry about all that; but I'm not getting M/T. My ignorance of car mods may result for me to use a CVT instead, paglaruan ko na lang yung paddle shifters for the "manual" touch.
    Perhaps you can get the GLX and install the OEM EX GT-A body kit and 18" alloys. If you get the M/T you also get to wring more power out of the engine should you want to tune.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast