New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    pag dalawa lang pipilian mo....go for toyota vios. mas maraming free compare to city...
    vios - free, seatcover,matting,rust proof,LTO, tint
    city - free matting only....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what?!? no free date with the pretty girl at the marketing department? hehehe :D

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by ghosthunter
    what?!? no free date with the pretty girl at the marketing department? hehehe :D
    that comes only when you buy a camry or rav4... :nerd:

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    speaking from experience, mazdamazda? ;) ;) Peace bro!

IMHO, the City's interior is a lot smarter...the rear seats seem a bit more comfy...ung tipong di ka maiinip when you're stuck in traffic.

i'd like to see how these two cars perform during the rainy season though

5. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    what do you mean "performance by the rainy season"? performance on brakes?...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    just curious re how it would handle the usual flood waters here...kung madali bang tumirik...the brakes as well

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    afaik electirc powered yung power steering ng city not like
    vios na hydraulic powered..hindi ba delikado na mabasa yung
    sa city?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    onga no, pag grounded? Pero ano bang mangyyri, as in total loss of steering control ba? Or magiging pawis steering lang uli?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Which is better? A City 1.3 CVT of Vios 1.5 AT? The following are important to my wife who will be driving the car:
    1) Interior space/functionality
    2) Fuel efficiency
    3) Overall interior comfort
    4) Safety features
    5) Price / Value

Appreciate getting expert feedback from Tsikot members. Thanks.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've posted this before but I can't find it anymore so I'll post it again in this thread.

Honda City vs Toyota VIOS

Its like comparing apples & oranges in terms of performance potential. I assume you are planning to get the hi-end of either car?

The Honda City only comes in 1.3 liter engine. With only around 85HP, there is NO performance potential except if you are planning an engine swap. It would quickly sprint from 0-90kph quickly but trying to get beyond 100kph will have to be measured by a calendar, not a stopwatch.

Handling is kinda weird. The steering wheel gives absolutely no feedback from the front wheels. Its like playing one of those driving games at your local video arcade and even those would give better feedback than the Honda City. The rear end would slide when pushed but control is difficult. The easiest way to slide and control it is to use the hand brake technique, weight shift technique makes this car skittish. Stock tires are made by Michelin and gives enough grip. Not much road noise either.

The Honda City comes with ABS and airbags, fully fold down seats and good all around view. But none of these would contribute for a good car for "performance" upgrades. Maybe if the Honda FIT would be released locally with a better engine.

The toyota VIOS has the 1.5 M/T & A/T versions. The 1.5 liter engine has around 107HP and a very light body (lighter than the City by around 50Kg). In terms of looks, the recent Fort VIOS test drive had a VIOS on display with body kit & mags. Looks good. Engine potential, you might have a problem upgrading the exhaust but the intake would look like a straight forward job. The major downside is the speedo/tach guage cluster. Its fully digital and you might have a problem installing a "standard" shiftlight & big tachometer. Lowering... no idea if the rear suspension can be lowered or even how.

As standard, the VIOS handles pretty well through corners and willing to slide sideways controllably if pushed hard enough, although having crappy Goodyear NCT3 tires doesn't help in meeting the car's full potential. Stock suspension handles pretty well, surprisingly not stiff for a light car but it would plow the front end somewhat in hard cornering.

Note: the VIOS lacks ABS & airbag but makes up for more engine power, manual tranny option and predictable handling.

My vote would be the Toyota VIOS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Honda City vs. Toyota Vios