New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    What would you recommend for daily city driving, and here are things we consider:

1. Fuel Efficiency
    2. Performance & Handling
    3. Safety
    4. Maintenance
    5. Overall

Which of these do you think is a better car to go for?

Thanks a lot!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Why not consider the 1.3 versions, specially for fuel eff. and for city-driving use.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Elantra.

Kasi ibang level na siya.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    I'd recommend the Elantra. You'll have a lot of smiles when you drive it. It may not be as fuel efficient and as cheap to maintain than the Vios, but it doesn't lag far behind in those categories. And what it lacks there, it more than makes up for it sa overall performance.

I have a 1.6AT Elantra now and family used to have a 1.5AT Vios.

1.Fuel Efficiency - The Vios would easily trump the Elantra here. Had an old 1.5A/T Vios and that car gets 9-10km/L city driving and 13-15km/L highway. But then again the Elantra is not far behind. I now get 8.5km/L (same route as the vios) city driving and 12.5- 14km/L highway. (But napababa ko ng 20km/L one time yung Elantra during a trip to Subic. Constant 100-120 lang sa SCTEX/NLEX.)

2. Performance and Handling- Elantra wins this, hands down. I've driven my friend's 1.5 city and it feels like gusto mo siya itulak. Same goes with the 1.5 AT na Vios, parang gusto mo siya itulak at times. But the Elantra really pulls and it pulls hard. Plus, ang ganda ng AT niya. The transmission is smooth and mabilis yung shifts, especially when you put it sa tiptronic mode. Sarap din dalihin ng Elantra sa mga zig-zag roads because it corners well. (The Elantra understeers less and has less body roll than the Vios.)

3. Safety - I think safe naman lahat ng choices mo dito. But I think the safest cars here are the Elantra and the City. The Elantra is IIHS top pick for safety, and the City just recently got 5 stars from ASEAN NCAP. Meanwhile, the Vios got 4 stars only sa ASEAN NCAP.

4. Maintenance - Vios. Maraming cheap parts and madaling gawin ng mga mechanics, even outside the casa.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Elantra is of a higher class...

18.4K:sun:

6. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Elantra. Its quite unfair to compare it to cars lower its class. Maganda yung facelift ng city. It looks sporty with the rear diffusers. So between it and the vios, id go for the city. Tsaka malapit na ata lumabas yung next gen vios since may mga spy photos na na lumalabas. You might regret buying so late.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Kaya lang this March merong promo yung Honda... 25T discount plus i can get another 10T fleet discount. 801,000 nalang yung honda 1.5E AT. Yung elantra 863,000 after discount. Ang gaan nga dalhin ng elantra during the test drive yun nga lang napakabasic ng features sa loob ng 1.6 AT specially the audio. I'm still hesitant to buy korean cars because of the notion that japan made cars are still better as to the quality.

Thanks guys for your comments!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    mid-sized sedan ang Elantra unlike ng City at Vios. Kung gusto mo talaga ng mid-sized sedan compare Elantra, Civic, and Altis. Now, you might say price-wise ang comparison. Ok, halos parehas na price ng TOTL compact-sedan but sa basic model naman mid-size sedan.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TopEngine View Post
    mid-sized sedan ang Elantra unlike ng City at Vios. Kung gusto mo talaga ng mid-sized sedan compare Elantra, Civic, and Altis. Now, you might say price-wise ang comparison. Ok, halos parehas na price ng TOTL compact-sedan but sa basic model naman mid-size sedan.
    Compact lang po yung Elantra, Focus, Civic, Altis, Mazda3, at Lancer. Sub-compact yung City, Vios, Accent, Mazda2, at Fiesta. Midsize yung Accord, Camry, Sonata, Optima, at Mazda6.

Based on the choices above, the Elantra is a clear winner as it is a class above the City and Vios. However, at a 801k discounted price tag, the TOTL City 1.5E is quite a good choice.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Elantra.

More powerful, more spacious, more on-road presence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Honda city 1.5E vs Hyundai Elantra 1.6 AT vs Toyota Vios 1.5G