New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy my first car in August this year. My budget is P650K maximum My choices are:

Honda City 1.3S MT - P625,000
    Mitsubishi Lancer GLX MT - P628,000

Criteria: Suitability as family car (5 adults), performance, fuel consumption and maintenance - in that order.

I know that Vios 1.3E MT is also within this budget, but I'm not so keen on that car (no offense to Vios owners). I also don't mind that the next generation Lancer EX is just around the corner. Please do not count that factor in your advise (oks lang sakin yung current model, and besides siguradong mas mahal yung next model). Matagal pa naman yung purchase ko, pero pinag-iisipan ko na mabuti. So, I would love to hear your inputs. This is my first post, after reading the forums for some time... Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    The Lancer has more interior and trunk space.

What sort of "performance" do you demand? For family use and daily driving, this Lancer is basically the same as other sedans in its class... and with a few budget racer mods, you can race it in the Subic International Raceway.

Fuel consumption hands down goes to the Jazz.

Maintenance-wise, the 4g18 (when the CASA warranty wores out) can be serviceable by almost any mechanic. Parts can be sourced anywhere (OEM, replacement, or even surplus).

Choose the brownish beige para pampamilya although napakaganda talaga nung black.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I think the city is the better choice. Because of its fuel consumption

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_Bird View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy my first car in August this year. My budget is P650K maximum My choices are:

Honda City 1.3S MT - P625,000
    Mitsubishi Lancer GLX MT - P628,000

Criteria: Suitability as family car (5 adults), performance, fuel consumption and maintenance - in that order.

I know that Vios 1.3E MT is also within this budget, but I'm not so keen on that car (no offense to Vios owners). I also don't mind that the next generation Lancer EX is just around the corner. Please do not count that factor in your advise (oks lang sakin yung current model, and besides siguradong mas mahal yung next model). Matagal pa naman yung purchase ko, pero pinag-iisipan ko na mabuti. So, I would love to hear your inputs. This is my first post, after reading the forums for some time... Thanks!
    tough choice....
    are you planning to keep the car long? if you are, it seems the city is the logical choice because of the resale. but both seems to be in an equal footing.

My criteria:

FC: City
    Space: City
    Maintenance: Lancer
    Parts Availability: Lancer
    Looks: Lancer
    Resale: City

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by melrome View Post
    The Lancer has more interior and trunk space.

What sort of "performance" do you demand? For family use and daily driving, this Lancer is basically the same as other sedans in its class... and with a few budget racer mods, you can race it in the Subic International Raceway.

Fuel consumption hands down goes to the Jazz.

Maintenance-wise, the 4g18 (when the CASA warranty wores out) can be serviceable by almost any mechanic. Parts can be sourced anywhere (OEM, replacement, or even surplus).

Choose the brownish beige para pampamilya although napakaganda talaga nung black.
    Melrome, by "performance" I actually meant which car would fare better in bad road conditions and long trips. Sorry for the ambiguity, I should have said "reliability". Actually nagagandahan nga ako sa Lancer na ito pero nagtataka ako bakit hindi siya masyadong pinag-uusapan sa forum hehe.

Thanks for the helpful info, and the picture showing the Lancer racing in Subic Hindi ko naman ito ira-race. More of weekend trips lang with my parents and siblings. And as long as it can hit 120 Kph without diificulty, masaya nako. But it's nice to know that the car has room for modding if ever. 4g18 pala ang code ng body nito [edit: engine pala hehe]. I always thought the City had more spare parts being more popular, so thanks to you and 1D4LV for mentioning otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    tough choice....
    are you planning to keep the car long? if you are, it seems the city is the logical choice because of the resale. but both seems to be in an equal footing.

My criteria:

FC: City
    Space: City
    Maintenance: Lancer
    Parts Availability: Lancer
    Looks: Lancer
    Resale: City
    1D4LV, yes definitely long-term. 10 years or more, if the car stays reasonably reliable. Thanks for the feedback, esp. about parts availability. I always thought Mitsu parts were harder to find (a real noob here). I agree with you on looks too. Pero talaga bang mas malaki interior space ng City? Kasi nasa bigger class na ang Lancer (same class as Civic and Altis tama po ba?) so I assumed it will have bigger interior space (and this is what Melrome mentioned too).

Thanks to all replies
    Last edited by Larry_Bird; April 3rd, 2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: correction on 4g18

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    bro IMO if your gonna keep the car for a long time... honda is the way to go.
    ok talaga space ng city even for a compact car malwag talaga.

FC.. no contest na yan... city gets it.

my friend actually had a lancer 2004 pero naiinis siya kasi 3 years pa lang puro kalampag na... he sold the car and talo sa resale value.

good luck sir!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    lancer ako. okay sana kung jazz pwede pa, lancer na lang.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Long term reliability sa Lancer pa rin ako.

We still often see yung mga 1st generation Lancers on the streets. The bar and L type. Countless boxytpes and singkits on the street.

And they are not even car enthusiasts. Sometimes bulok na yung body eh umaandar pa rin.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Melrome, by "performance" I actually meant which car would fare better in bad road conditions and long trips. Sorry for the ambiguity, I should have said "reliability". Actually nagagandahan nga ako sa Lancer na ito pero nagtataka ako bakit hindi siya masyadong pinag-uusapan sa forum hehe.

Thanks for the helpful info, and the picture showing the Lancer racing in Subic Hindi ko naman ito ira-race. More of weekend trips lang with my parents and siblings. And as long as it can hit 120 Kph without diificulty, masaya nako. But it's nice to know that the car has room for modding if ever. 4g18 pala ang code ng body nito [edit: engine pala hehe]. I always thought the City had more spare parts being more popular, so thanks to you and 1D4LV for mentioning otherwise.

1D4LV, yes definitely long-term. 10 years or more, if the car stays reasonably reliable. Thanks for the feedback, esp. about parts availability. I always thought Mitsu parts were harder to find (a real noob here). I agree with you on looks too. Pero talaga bang mas malaki interior space ng City? Kasi nasa bigger class na ang Lancer (same class as Civic and Altis tama po ba?) so I assumed it will have bigger interior space (and this is what Melrome mentioned too).

Thanks to all replies
    for 10 years you may have to weigh in a few more options:

body wise and styling: Lancer. Honda cars tend to look old over time. But i've seen 12 year old lancers that still look good. Pormahan mo lang and repaint, ok na. For Cities, mukhang di ubra. In fact, my wife who owns a 2000 City VTi (same age as my 2000 Lancer), does not look good already. Pareho lang naman ang alagang ginagawa namin. Tsaka parang ang hirap pormahan. Sa Lancer, palit mags lang, ganda na.

resale: City has an edge here.
    parts: Lancer has an edge here.

the only thing i see from you keeping the lancer longer is in tends to be makalampag after a couple of years. my 8 year old lancer, although it still looks good has some sort of this problem. bulk of my maintenance costs go to suspension repairs. but for parts and maintenance, wala akong problem. another thing that might give you some problems is the aircon (but then again, this might be true to old cars na, regardless of brand).

these are the problems that i've encountered from using lancers (from the EL type, the Box, the singkit, the itlog and the pizza - yes, i've owned these lancers).

my final verdict and recommendation: if resale option is not that important to you and you are willing to make the necessary "suspension" maintenance. lancer na lang. it will still look good provided you maintain it properly, repair the necessary things that needs to be repaired, and take care of the body, ganda pa rin yan after 10 years.

note: i've seen 1991 model GTs (17 year old Lancer Singkit ) that still look great, and some 1994-1995 (13 year old Lancer Itlogs), which are still eye-catchers.

imho.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i've added some notes below.

- bad road conditions, i think both of them are quite at the same range. the reason why lancers are not really talked about there is that this forum is a general automotive forum. hindi enthusiast forum. for details, punta ka na lang sa sa mga enthusiast clubs like mymitsuph.com (mitsu) or hcp.com (honda

- you can hit 120 kph without difficulty in a lancer. stable pa sya in high speeds. plus, what i've noticed is that (in my case since we own both a lancer and a city) is that the lancer is more stable if it is fully loaded and going at some sort of speeds like 100 kph. yung city namin parang manipis and magaang eh at high speeds.).

if you have guts, it can easily go at around 140-150 kph without difficulty.

i've seen tuned cities din, but it is more easier to mod a lancer. mas madaming aftermarket parts and body kits.

- nope. misconception po. mitsu parts are one of the easiest parts to find. daming replacement and oem parts.

- for newer generation cities, i think (o feel ko lang) na mas malaki ang interiors nya and trunk space nya. but you are correct, i think the city is considered as a sub-compact while the lancer is considered a compact.

Thanks to all replies

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Honda City 1.3S MT or Lancer GLX MT?