New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Hi guys, going to buy a car very soon! i guess this will be the last time i get to post to gather opinions... so far i have narrowed my choices to the ff:

Toyota Altis 1.6V
    Hyundai Accent CRDI A/T
    Ford Focus hatch back Trend
    Honda Civic 1.8 S or E

Main considerations are FC, Driving comfort, maintenance (cost of ownership), resale value (probably will sell in 5yrs) and I guess whatever will give me value for money.

Appreciate your feedback and help!

Thanks!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    either the civic or the altis based on your criteria.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    definitely go with the altis.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cost of ownership, overall, definitely the Accent. Even if resale value doesn't hold, it only means a "loss" of some 50k over five years versus a Corolla or Civic, which would be more than compensated by the lower price of diesel. Over 100k kms, you stand to save around 100,000 pesos off the price difference alone, not counting the difference in consumption, which would likely give you an extra 20,000 to 50,000 over that.

Then again, the Corolla and Civic are now big cars, and don't carry the same "fuel economy" resale bonus they used to. Not like the Honda City or Toyota Vios.

-

Most comfortable, though, it's between the Civic and the Focus. The Focus is much more refined than any of your other choices, and drives better than any of them, but the Civic has a bigger back seat.
    Last edited by niky; May 27th, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Cost of ownership, overall, definitely the Accent. Even if resale value doesn't hold, it only means a "loss" of some 50k over five years, which would be more than compensated by the lower price of diesel. Over 100k kms, you stand to save around 100,000 pesos off the price difference alone, not counting the difference in consumption, which would likely give you an extra 20,000 to 50,000 over that.

-

Most comfortable, though, it's between the Civic and the Focus. The Focus is much more refined than any of your other choices, and drives better than any of them, but the Civic has a bigger back seat.
    And I don't think the Accent won't hold on to its value after 5 years. Just look at the resale of the 1st gen CRDi. Pretty steep for a Hyundai.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    And I don't think the Accent won't hold on to its value after 5 years. Just look at the resale of the 1st gen CRDi. Pretty steep for a Hyundai.
    Yup. And it's not like the Corolla ever had amazing resale, either. It just didn't drop like a stone like Nissans did.

It's Honda that's always had the amazing resale, but that doesn't apply to the Civic as much as it used to... it's the CR-V and Jazz/City that still have stellar values down the line.

Big cars equal poor resale. Being a Honda or Toyota helps the Civic and Corolla avoid horrible resale, but it doesn't make them fantastic at it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys! actually been leaning towards the altis for quite some time now but i guess i am still intrigued by certain things in the other models.

Altis - i guess the safest choice, huge discounts since its an outgoing model, comfy enough, and probably easiest to maintain (though not too sure since a lot of toys in the V model)

Accent - with my driving habits im pretty sure i can save almost half of my fuel costs if i go for a gasoline car. issue lang with this is if hyundai is dependable na (i guess i would ideally want worry free ownership since its brand new)

Focus - as Niky mentioned, it seems to be more refined compared to other choices. Concerns are, FC since the 1.6 seems underpowered for the weight? Cost of maintenance? im not too familiar with Fords so im not sure if parts are easy to find and if it is not too pricey.

Civic - considered it just because its a Honda and its comfy due to the cabin space.

As you can see, still have some things to consider. haha! thanks for your replies guys! appreciate more!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

Never like the latest gen civic look. outdated na tignan imo. Altis and Focus na lang. Ung Accent may issue kasi dyan before.... just my 2 centavos.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    altis in pearl white! looks elegant and camry-ish for me in that color. but a new altis model is rumored to be coming soon. so i'd get the accent crdi and enjoy the savings in fuel.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    i've had the altis 1.6V for around 7 months now. very comfortable and quiet but very boring drive; if you want that sporty feeling, get the focus. FC i get around 8.5 city and it goes up to 10.5 during out of town trips to tagaytay or subic. aircon is very cold to the point that i turn it off most of the time kapag gabi. i'm usually a relaxed driver (rpm more often than not under 2k) but i feel the 1.6 engine is underpowered for the body (though i came from a 2.4 rav4 so i'm probably comparing). the toys are nice add-ons for convenience; no usb port (just the aux-in) so you really have to make use of bluetooth for your mp3s. bluetooth phone is nice too.

in general, i can say it's a good buy, addresses all the considerations particularly well. if you get this, i suggest you get the beige as there are too many pearl whites already hahaha. the guard at our office parking though thinks my white v is a camry, dunno why. maybe kasi mukhang mas malapad because of the chrome garnish sa front.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast