New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    hi guys, please help me pick my next car.. mga friends ko kasi puro jazz and civic FD suggestions eh, although gusto ko rin yung jazz and civic FD..

im choosing between 08 1.6 mazda 3 hatch or 08 1.8 focus hatch (both AT).. though i havent driven an AT car in my life. puro AT nakikita kong for sale kasi.. walang MT kahit isa..
    which is cheaper to maintain ba and madali makahanap parts? i know that focus hatch is a heavy car so mejo sa suspension babawi yan and dual aircon (i think) kasi may aircon sa likod, kaya mejo mas mabusisi sa pag maintain ng aircon..

or should i just forget about my urge for a hatchback and go for a honda, just like what my friends have been telling me.. ayoko naman kasi ng EG hatch kasi mejo luma na.. pero super pogi points ang EG hatch ah.. tapos ang EK naman puro converted ang nakikita kong for sale.. pag nag jazz or civic FD ako 07 model and MT ang kukunin ko.. if ever.. (kasi hanggang dun lang ang swak sa budget)

THANKS IN ADVANCE...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Focus is better, hands down. Better suspension, more stable handling, better sound insulation and a stronger engine.

The Mazda3 1.6 has slightly better economy, but you'll need to drive it like a granny to get it. In normal driving, the 1.8 is just as good, and it's not frustratingly slow.

Spare parts are similar, and suspension components can be shared between the two (with minor grinding to make things fit), the only major differences are in the ECU, cylinder head and lug-count on the wheel hubs.

While the Focus is heavier, the Mazda3 suspension is softer, and needs to be replaced earlier. Besides, the front end of the 1.8 isn't as heavy as the big boys in the model range.

Neither car is cheap to maintain compared to your basic 90's compact, but they're not much different from the FD Civic, and there are affordable aftermarket replacements for common maintenace items.

For practicality's sake, though.... the best hatch you can get secondhand is a manual transmission iDSi Jazz. Don't get the CVT. I've seen and driven a number of secondhand CVTs, and finding a good one with no issues is not easy. Also make sure there are no issues with the electric power steering, as that's expensive as well. Get an MT, and the Jazz is perhaps the only car that you'll ever need to buy.

EGs are just plain overpriced for what you get. An old car with not much rear seat space and lots of rust issues in the fenders and roof. If you really want one as a toy or project, no problem. EGs are still fun to drive with the right motor, but as a daily driver, there are much better cars for that much money. EKs are even more insanely overpriced.
    Last edited by niky; December 12th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    yun ford focus deasel...ok yun

4. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Focus is better, hands down. Better suspension, more stable handling, better sound insulation and a stronger engine.

The Mazda3 1.6 has slightly better economy, but you'll need to drive it like a granny to get it. In normal driving, the 1.8 is just as good, and it's not frustratingly slow.

Spare parts are similar, and suspension components can be shared between the two (with minor grinding to make things fit), the only major differences are in the ECU, cylinder head and lug-count on the wheel hubs.

While the Focus is heavier, the Mazda3 suspension is softer, and needs to be replaced earlier. Besides, the front end of the 1.8 isn't as heavy as the big boys in the model range.

Neither car is cheap to maintain compared to your basic 90's compact, but they're not much different from the FD Civic, and there are affordable aftermarket replacements for common maintenace items.

For practicality's sake, though.... the best hatch you can get secondhand is a manual transmission iDSi Jazz. Don't get the CVT. I've seen and driven a number of secondhand CVTs, and finding a good one with no issues is not easy. Also make sure there are no issues with the electric power steering, as that's expensive as well. Get an MT, and the Jazz is perhaps the only car that you'll ever need to buy.

EGs are just plain overpriced for what you get. An old car with not much rear seat space and lots of rust issues in the fenders and roof. If you really want one as a toy or project, no problem. EGs are still fun to drive with the right motor, but as a daily driver, there are much better cars for that much money. EKs are even more insanely overpriced.
    wow.. i couldnt ask for a better advice/explanation.. thank you very much sir
    already have a project car kasi kaya ayoko muna mag old model..
    so, Jazz MT or Focus hatch AT po ba?? may 1.3 nadin kasi ako kaya mejo nagdadalawang isip pako sa Jazz..
    eh kung focus hatch vs. civic FD?? parehas 1.8 and pareho malaki kaha.. which is better?? tanggalin ko na sa equation ang mazda3 hatch.. haha

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by timrev View Post
    yun ford focus deasel...ok yun
    cant afford pa ang focus diesel sir.. taas pa presyo eh.. hehe

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Focus 1.8 rides better and has better handling. The Civic is quite sharp, but the "inert" rear end isn't quite as involving as the Focus's balanced chassis. The Civic 1.8, however, has a better engine. The Civic R18 isn't as torquey down low, but it revs well, has decent economy and has sweet top end. With the 5AT, the 1.8 FD is just as quick to 100 km/h as most 2.0 ATs. And the back seat is much bigger than the Focus's.

The Civic FD is a GREAT car, both as a daily driver and as a tuner (and even better in manual... the manual transmission is great, as you'd expect any Honda transmission to be).

BUT: I HATE THE SEATS. For some people, the rock hard lumbar support in the front seats is unbearable. Sadly, I'm one of those people. I can't drive a Civic for more than thirty minutes without having excruciating lower back pains. For thinner or smaller people, this is not a problem. So try before you buy. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I've driven both cars. Ford gets my vote. I'm used to chunky and bulky euro metal. Ford feels very euro.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    thanks guys.. mukhang mag FD nalang siguro ako.. ayaw ng father ko bumili ako ng ford mahal daw pyesa, and gusto nya 1.5 vios daw bilhin ko.. ayoko naman nun..

help me decide pls. (08 mazda3 hatch vs. 08 focus hatch)