New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    [SIZE=3]Hi everyone! i'm new in the community. i had fun reading other threads and i'm hoping you guys could help me too..

i'm about to buy a car for my graduation (yey!) but right now, i'm torn between Mazda3 1.6V A/t and Toyota Vios 1.5G A/T. i like both at different ways. sporty vs. classy ride. pros and cons for both models please. i'm super concerned about fuel efficiency. please help. super thanks![/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't own neither of the two but I've been hearing a lot of complaints about Mazda 3 1.6V's fuel efficiency.... they said its disappointing for a 1.6L engine

on the other hand, I've heard a lot of good feedbacks regarding Vios 1.5's fuel efficiency, even my officemate who has a Vios 1.5 is very happy this cars fuel economy.

Hands down Mazda 3 is the much better looking than the Vios, but it will all come down to what you really want.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    2007 Mazda3 (facelift)

-1.6 li engine is really inadequate for its size
    - no manual transmission
    - not so thrifty fuel consumption
    - driver airbag only
    - donut spare tire

+ bigger body than Vios
    + better suspension than Vios
    + larger trunk space
    + nice handling car

2007 Vios (recently launched all new body, but same old engine and transmission)

+ thrifty fuel consumption by engines [1.5li (1NZ-FE) and 1.3li (2NZ-FE)]
    + suprisingly spacious (legroom) esp. for rear passengers.

-a bit overpriced (IMO) - [the 1.5G and 1.3E). The 1.3J has the most value.
    -noisy cabin (loud engine revving noise evident)
    -4 spd automatic transmission needs improvement
    - steel rims spare tire for 1.5G and 1.3E. But this is better than the donut spare in the Mazda3.
    -Very plasticky door panels.
    Last edited by number001; August 22nd, 2007 at 08:16 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Go for the mazda3 (on white please). I still prefer it's styling and perks over the new vios, that is if you don't consider FC that much.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the comparison is a little bit off, the other one is a sub-compact and the other is a compact.

the M3 of course has lots of amenities, has bigger space and has a bigger engine. and it looks good too.

the Vios is smaller, amenities are fewer than the M3 and has a smaller and more fuel efficient engine.

i personally like the exteriors as well as the interiors of the M3. fogee talaga. reliability wise, Toyotas are have a little bit of edge. i am not saying na pagka Toyota, walang problem ha? meron at meron pa din yan.

and i think Toyotas have a little bit of edge too as far as resale value is concerned.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's the Mazda3 for me (even with the facelift of the Vios). The only thing going against it is its engine (or lack of a manual transmission) which translates to a poorer fuel consumption when compared to the Vios.

The Vios uses some really cheap interior plastic, the driver's seat is still cramped and after a while there will be like a million units out there in EDSA. If you aren't picky about the looks, the City is still a better buy (though the Jazz 1.5 M/T is the best buy).

Reliability is almost the same for both manufacturers (the Vios here in our company with less than 15K km in it already has some clutch slipping problem on the other hand I've seen a Mazda3 with a erratic idling problem).

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    2007 Mazda3 (facelift)

-1.6 li engine is really inadequate for its size
    - no manual transmission
    - not so thrifty fuel consumption
    - driver airbag only
    - donut spare tire

+ bigger body than Vios
    + better suspension than Vios
    + larger trunk space
    + nice handling car

2007 Vios (recently launched all new body, but same old engine and transmission)

+ thrifty fuel consumption by engines [1.5li (1NZ-FE) and 1.3li (2NZ-FE)]
    + suprisingly spacious (legroom) esp. for rear passengers.

-a bit overpriced (IMO) - [the 1.5G and 1.3E). The 1.3J has the most value.
    -noisy cabin (loud engine revving noise evident)
    -4 spd automatic transmission needs improvement
    - steel rims spare tire for 1.5G and 1.3E. But this is better than the donut spare in the Mazda3.
    -Very plasticky door panels.
    For the V version its driverside + passenger side airbags.

If you are concerned much about the fuel efficiency ditch the Mazda 4 Door. Why don't you toss in the hatch version w/c is also V spec? I believe mas matipid sya kesa sa V model na 4 door.

Civic ayaw mo?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    I don't own neither of the two but I've been hearing a lot of complaints about Mazda 3 1.6V's fuel efficiency.... they said its disappointing for a 1.6L engine

on the other hand, I've heard a lot of good feedbacks regarding Vios 1.5's fuel efficiency, even my officemate who has a Vios 1.5 is very happy this cars fuel economy.

Hands down Mazda 3 is the much better looking than the Vios, but it will all come down to what you really want.
    Given your choice, why not include the Honda Civic and new Mitsubishi Lancer?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Mazda3 hatch is actually slower than the four-door, and the added cargo space, personally, isn't worth the added money.

The one Mazda3 variant that hits all the buttons for me is the Mazda3 2.0R, as it has decent power... but that's probably out of budget.

The Vios is a nifty little car, and, in my opinion, is much better value for money than the old Vios. But again, as said above, it's questionable value in top-of-the-line trim... 811k pesos is kind of steep (even considering that that buys you leather).

It's Honda Jazz 1.5 M/T for me, too... ...but that's personal preference. The best car for you is the one you like.

Only solution? Test drive, test drive, test drive... calculate payments and budget... then take the plunge. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    wait for all new lancer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
HELP! Mazda3 or Vios?