New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Hello folks,

I need help on deciding which car to buy with my limited budget. I'm currently living in Finland and cars here have extra long life. Used cars' milage are usually 200,000 kilometers (Benz & Toyotas go up to 600k++) and up. Since I'm still a student, I need a practical car for everyday use. So, I looked for cars on the net and saw two good cars:

96 Opel Vectra, Gas, 1.6L, Manual, 176k kms mileage.

95 MB C-Class 180 W202, Gas, 1.8L, 340k kms mileage.

Both are in good condition and prices are not too far from each other. Since toyotas here are very expensive (used), the opels are my only option for a relatively new car with high mileage (2000 models with ore than 200k kms).

Ano po sa tingin nyo? Should I go for the Benz? mas practical kaya kasi matibay? Ang ganda kasi. And ang maintainance ng car dito eh super strict. hindi pwede i-register pag hindi pumasa sa mga tests at sila mismo mag-inspect at ipapaayos mo nalang ang sira.

thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Based on what I read and watch on shows, the brand name Opel is not synonymous with reliability nor dependability.

You mean you are a student driver or a student in there?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ayaw mo ng Skoda?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ang sarap ng problema mo bro! Mas mura ang mga MB's sa mga Toyota's! Dun ka na sa MB. Napakasolid ng mga yan. Opel's are known for rather dodgy reliability. That, coupled with scanty parts supply killed it here in the Philippines. Are there no other options for you, though?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Based on what I read and watch on shows, the brand name Opel is not synonymous with reliability nor dependability.

You mean you are a student driver or a student in there?
    So I've heard. My white friends are telling me that too. I'm a student here. I have a Phil. non-pro license that can be converted to a Finnish one.

*uls: matibay ba Skoda? di ko natanong yan sa mga puti. mas preferred kasi nila Asian cars kasi matibay.

*GTi: parts are not a problem since I'm here in Europe. pero duda nga ako sa Opel kahit German brand sya. ang matibay at mahal kasi dito Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo.. ang mga tao kasi dito hindi nagbibitaw ng sasakyan agad kahit may bagong labas. or kahit late 2008 models nasa 200k kms na ang tinakbo..

gusto ko lang isipin muna kung tatagal ba yung car sakin kahit mga 2 years or at least 150k kms. considering the mileage. pero mga MB nga dito 600,000 kilometers ok pa takbo.. syempre depende parin sa condition at history ng bibilhin ko.. mga MB masters jan.. practical kaya?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ang road and traffic conditions naman kasi sa Europe maganda. Kahit ba naman siguro 1 million kilometers itakbo mo sa sasakyan na yan kayang kaya pa. Eh pero kahit 500000 kilometers ng Philippine kilometers siguradong laspag na laspag na ang sasakyan, nakaka ilang overhaul na or baka hindi pa nga umabot diyan. Mukhang yung saying na the grass is greener on the other side applies even in 1st world countries ah. Tayo sawang sawa na sa Toyota's at ang dream car ay mga BMWs at mga MBs. Sila naman duon gusto sa mga Toyotas. So since you get an opportunity to own a nice European car there with a low purchase price and painless maintenance costs, you might as well do so and enjoy yourself.

OK na yang MB. Mechanical parts are very solid and the design ages gracefully. BTW, kumusta fuel prices diyan? Ayaw mo ba ng diesel Merc?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    why are you asking? you already know the answer in your heart. go MB! it appears the scands are practical people. the more reliable rides are the ones that are more sought after, and therefore, more expensive.. and also, they sure know how to protect their industry..
    tell you what.. i'll send you my corolla, and you can ship me your used benz.
    heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 16th, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Ang road and traffic conditions naman kasi sa Europe maganda. Kahit ba naman siguro 1 million kilometers itakbo mo sa sasakyan na yan kayang kaya pa. Eh pero kahit 500000 kilometers ng Philippine kilometers siguradong laspag na laspag na ang sasakyan, nakaka ilang overhaul na or baka hindi pa nga umabot diyan. Mukhang yung saying na the grass is greener on the other side applies even in 1st world countries ah. Tayo sawang sawa na sa Toyota's at ang dream car ay mga BMWs at mga MBs. Sila naman duon gusto sa mga Toyotas. So since you get an opportunity to own a nice European car there with a low purchase price and painless maintenance costs, you might as well do so and enjoy yourself.

OK na yang MB. Mechanical parts are very solid and the design ages gracefully. BTW, kumusta fuel prices diyan? Ayaw mo ba ng diesel Merc?
    Ang takot ko po kasi baka super mahal ng parts in case may nasira or may kailangan palitan. Mahal kasi labor dito and mahirap mag-DIY since sa dorm lang ako nakatira and walang garage. Fuel prices ng gas dito 1,80EUR per litre. That's about a hundred pesos per liter po. Mataas kasi tax eh. And buying a diesel would be more expensive for me since they have a yearly tax for that if you own a diesel car. Having a diesel would only be cheaper if I will travel a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    why are you asking? you already know the answer in your heart. go MB! it appears the scands are practical people. the more reliable rides are the ones that are more sought after, and therefore, more expensive.. and also, they sure know how to protect their industry..
    tell you what.. i'll send you my corolla, and you can ship me your used benz.
    heh heh.
    I know I want that benz. But I'm asking around if it would be the most practical choice. You're right though, they are practical and hardworking. Hindi nga uso dito A/T kasi pang tamad daw.

Thanks for the input fellow tsikoteers! Keep them coming..

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Oh my... at a maximum of around 60/liter of Shell V-Power, mura na pala ang gasolina dito! Bakit may additional tax sa diesel car? Dahil ba mas madumi? Just go on and get the MB. At 1.8L of displacement, gas mileage shouldn't be too bad though with just 122hp, performance is basically similar to a garden variety 1.6L Japanese compact sedan.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Para daw balanced at hindi lamang ang diesel owners at syempre dahil narin siguro dun. Pero mas makakamura pag diesel pag long distance palagi ang byahe. Nakakatakot lang kasi 340,000 kilometers na sya, baka abutan ako ng palit ng mga piyesa. For sure mahal magagastos ko.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help: Buying a used car