New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Help!
    Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and I'll be purchasing a new car next month or probably before school starts in June (I drive an old 98 Accord). The only problem is I can't decide between a Civic 1.8S/V or Altis 1.8G. Sure sa looks the Civic comes with more pogi points, pero when it comes to luxury and safety parang mas lamang ang Altis. I like a car na sporty and labas pero luxury ang interior. I checked out the new Civic and according to the sales rep wala pa palang airbag yung 1.8V (even the vios j has one), and the 1.8 litter models are not even equiped with auto climate control and ABS. What the??? 2007 na!. Ang impression ko as of now the Civic is just nice to look at (pogi talaga) pero when it comes to safety (abs, sensors, disc brakes), luxury (wood, full leather) and gadgets (steering wheel audio control, folding side mirrors etc), parang lamang ang Altis. Parang tinipid ang Civic, cute lang tingnan. Ang downfall lang ng altis is mas luma siya. I'm really having a hard time choosing between the two.My dad is paying for the car, mas gusto niya na mag 2nd hand skyroof trooper nalang ako (practical daw). Baka tumanda akong binata pag Trooper dala ko (I'm 19 yrs old, bagay ba Trooper???).

Anyway, hope to hear from you guys.

cheers!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    iho, talaga bang type mo itong mga "dad's cars"? Most students prefer compact cars like the Vios or Jazz or even compact SUV's like the RAV4's or CRV's.. but if you're really leaning towards these vehicles, why don't you test drive both vehicles. That's the best way to find out what you will really like.

Moreover, if you're concerned about the Altis being old (which is quite true) why don't you just wait for the new corolla. I'm guessing it will be launched Q3 of this year. I'm sure by this time Honda will also launch the "tweaked" 2007 Civic.
    Last edited by Picard; February 8th, 2007 at 12:01 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Try taking a look at Hyundai Tucson CRDi.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    iho, talaga bang type mo itong mga "dad's cars"? Most students prefer compact cars like the Vios or Jazz or even compact SUV's like the RAV4's or CRV's.. but if you're really leaning towards these vehicles, why don't you test drive both vehicles. That's the best way to find out what you will really like.

Moreover, if you're concerned about the Altis being old (which is quite true) why don't you just wait for the new corolla. I'm guessing it will be launched Q3 of this year. I'm sure by this time Honda will also launch the "tweaked" 2007 Civic.
    I don't think na the Civic would fall under "dad's cars" yun corolla mas pwede pa. For me kasi Dad's cars yun mga Accord, Camry na. Compact cars pa din for me mga Civic. Punta ka lang sa campus ng DLSU or other schools, dame sobra naka Civic (old and yun new), Corolla Altis and others. hehehe

Wala ba sa Choices mo ang Focus or Mazda 3?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I think you should explain your priorities before people can make educated suggestions because those 2 cars and companies have a lot of similarities.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    are these cars even in the same price range? alam ko po yung civic nasa high 700s to 800s, the Altis G is over 950 na.

If you dont want to consider other cars (focus, Mazda 3), go for the Civic, it's new and a lot cheaper than the Altis G. Pang-blow-out mo na lang yung savings sa mga taga Tsikot.

I suspect that your preference is more on the traditional/classical interior design that's why you considered the Altis G ? tama po ba? In that case, the Focus is also a good candidate, it is quiet and an excellent cruiser, much like the Altis. I dont own a CIVIC FD but, my sister does, have driven this car and on the highway, it is not as hush as the Focus nor the Altis.

I cant say the Civic is really fast, maybe up to 100kph it is, but after that, it's slow - this is not a generalization FD owners, just my observation. But the Civic 1.8 is frugal, our trip to the provice averaged 14kpl!

Test drive is still the best way to help you decide on which car to buy.
    Last edited by an0nim0us; February 8th, 2007 at 09:06 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pwede ang Trooper pang-bata, if you know what you're doing. I've seen a lot of fixed up Troopers that really caught my eye. Nasasayo na lang kung marunong ka mag-ayos ng kotse.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/356390/9 (not mine, example lang)

BTTT: I'd pick the Civic over the Altis. But do consider the Mazda 3 and the Focus.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pwede nga namang pormahan ang Trooper so it's less daddy-ish. (Pwede din naman pormahan ang daddy car Camry at Accord para mas pang binata.) If you're going for the Trooper, just make sure to get a unit that's been well-maintained. Check out the board for complaints about the Trooper.

As regards the Civic and Altis, though I'm a Toyota fan, the current Altis is indeed old and about to be replaced. If you're not convinced about the Civic, then wait for the new Altis. It might be expensive, but at least it's newer over all, and can perhaps fare better in the overall comparo. The Mazda 3 and Focus, as mentioned, are also good alternatives.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hunkymarc,

It looks like medyo scattered ang mga preferences mo. Before I can give you some advice, please indicate how much your budget is and choice of transmission.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *hunkymarc:

The Civic 1.8V has no airbags or ABS.

But the Civic 1.8S has dual airbags, ABS and EBD. The only thing it doesn't have compared to the Toyota 1.8G is the auto-climate control, CD-Changer (which you can buy afterwards... or just buy an iPod with the money you have left-over...) and parking sensors (which you don't always need in cars this small).... and it's over 100,000 pesos cheaper than the Toyota 1.8.

Fuel economy should be similar, as well as performance with the automatic transmission. The Honda motor feels more powerful, but the long gearing of the automatic kind of negates that. If you go for the manual transmission Civic, you save another 30-40k pesos (hey, that's a big difference if you're calculating interest for installments) and it'll save you even more over the years in gas bills.

The 1.8 MT may not feel as quick or steer as well as an SiR or RS, but it's entertainingly fast, nonetheless, and it is pleasant to drive if all you're doing is commuting. Very practical car, and somewhat fun in traffic, to boot.

Trooper Skyroof? Depends on what engine. If you really don't want your dad to force you to use the Trooper, look up Paul Chua's thread here:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33403
    ...regarding the well-known and irritating defects of the 4JX1 engine.

If worst comes to worst, show it to your Dad, and he'll probably change his mind... ...while some complaints posted in tsikot are for a small number of units, the 4JX1 problem is relatively widespread and caused a recall of that model in other countries. If anything, at least get a Trooper with the earlier 4JG2 engine.

Like others have said, look around at the other cars in your range, and decide what's important for you. There are some pretty nice choices for "College Cars" out there besides the two you've mentioned. Heck, even a Vios 1.5S will do, and will serve you well until you've graduated and have the moolah for an even better car.
    Last edited by niky; February 8th, 2007 at 06:36 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
HELP!!! 2006 Civic 1.8S/V or 2006 Altis 1.6G