New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hello po mga tsikoteers, I'm in the market for a new car, gusto sana namin ni misis Fortuner but due to unforseen circumstances we now need to get a van instead so we have decided that the Grand Starex is what we want. Kaya lang we went to look at the units displayed at Wheels in E.Rod and was very disappointed with it as compared to the one we saw at Standout earlier. Now I don't really care that much about the 5 year warranty that comes with the HARI sourced units. But I want to know what are the pros and cons of getting a gray market unit and the local units as well. Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well... you pretty much said it... the only pros that you'll be getting with a HARI supplied unit is the multi-year warranty that comes with it (and that its custom duty is paid in full).

The grey units will definitely have more abubuts and the like... although if your engine, tranny or another major system breaks down prematurely... I doubt if the abubuts that I mentioned can compensate for that. Another thing, if the importer did an under the table deal regarding the unit's custom duties - your vehicle can still be confiscated within 3 years (AFAIK).

bigbigcar.com Review: Ford Everest XLS 2.5 TDCi 4x2

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i would agree with M2. since you will be using it on long-term, i would recommend a local GS too para warrantied yung unit.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    kung ok lang po sa inyo na walang warranty mas maganda talaga unit nila standout kesa samen kaso malaki din po yung risk kasi hi tech na po yung van madami electronics na pwede magloko. 5yrs warranty = peace of mind

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Ok lang naman sa akin yung 1 year warranty that is offered by the gray market imports, pero what bothers me is if the duties are properly paid or not. Can I check the tax payment status with the LTO and/or BOC prior to purchase of unit?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I couldn't wait for the exact specifications of the GOLD variant of the local HARI Grand Starex and was pretty much disappointed with what they currently offered particularly in the seats and amenties thats why I end up buying a Grand Starex HVX Icy blue color from the GRAY market. I have my unit for 3 months now and so far i'm quite contented and happy with my decision. I'm not sure with what HARI dealers are trying to discourage but indirectly also attacks their own product by saying that "what if masira, risky raw masyado", however from HARI or GRAY market Grand Starex, I believe both are of the same quality and is built the same standard that Hyundai has been known nowadays. With regards to BOC/LTO, my friend owns a previous generation Hyundai Starex "Gray market" for five years and he has yet to find a problem with the LTO.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Planning to buy a Grand Starex last week. Gray market version is really very alluring with the various amenities that HARI versions do not have, but they only gave us 1 year warranty. For me, since spending money wisely is a must nowadays, I decided to buy the HARI version kahit konti ang amenities but one got to have a 5 year warranty. We buy vehicles to serve us, not for us to serve them. Gray markets are soemtimes unreliable when it comes to taxes paid as said by MazdaMazda. I salute you MM for being very frank!!! Will be getting my Starex 2.5 CRDi with Swivel Seats next week. Then I will post my reaction of experience to Starex, since its my first time to buy a Korean Vehicle. Warranty comes first!!!

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Nag tanung din po ako sa gray market along Q.Ave about the Grand Starex 3 years po ang Warranty nila Top of the line is 1.820M pwede pang trade in.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    We are one of the early buyers of HARI grandstarex here in Cagayan, so far we are satisfied with it though some say the van is "barebones" in the interior and some amenities that we are used to. So far it compensates for my comfort during long trips like i can stretch out my leg sometimes lie down during night trips.One more thing Hyundai La Union staff are OK they are the ones to call us up reminding of car check up, a huge advantage for us here in the province.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i think the grand starex would be the best choice. ayaw ko kasi magbasakali sa importers eh. sa brand new starex.. at least sure lahat. its a lot of money and not worth risking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Gray market or local Grand Starex?