New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Need your help sirs Currently we have one car, a 2000 Isuzu Hi-lander XTRM for a family of 7 ( 4 adults, 3 kids). Though it has some repairs to be done, like the power steering pump/gearbox, and maybe calibration due to high mileage(182k kms) it has been a reliable, efficient and economical ride. Thinking of selling it in exchange for 2 cheaper cars so we can have an extra car for the following reasons: an extra car for my wife, a car for coding days, and a car which can be used in case of emergencies and we're not at home. Also, a back up car in case the other breaks down.

If I get to sell the hi-lander, I'm thinking of getting a late model Mitsu Spacewagon(96-98 EFI models) so we can still fit And an early 90's reliable car, either a B13 Sentra series 2 ECCS or a Corolla GLI. OR a boxtype Mazda 323

Do you think this combination is worth giving up the Hi-lander? Thanks

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    If you're not going to shell out some money anymore, or atleast less than 50k then it's going to be worth it UNLESS the cars to be bought badly needs some repairs that will cost you a lot. Because if it is, then it would be best to have your hilander repaired.

However, if it only requires minimal repairs/check-ups that wont be costing you more than 10k, then ... go for it.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Seems quite tight a budget to sell the Highlander and get two reliable vehicles with the proceeds. I would rather keep the Highlander and keep it in good mechanical condition. My officemate has one and its practically driven to the ground; it was wrecked on NLEX, had numerous fender benders, is used around Metro Manila everyday, nakahoy na ng parts while parked outside their house, carries auto supplies for their business, etc. but it still get them to La Union, Zambales, Ilocos, etc. economically and with no drama.

Just save up to get a second car in due time. A 1990's B13 Sentra 1.3 or 1.4 can be had at less than 100K and you can take your time to fix it little by little as an extra car.
    Last edited by vinj; December 7th, 2010 at 07:31 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    i've always followed the rule of backups. two small cars are better than one big family car. kaya nga hindi naman advisable to get those 7 seaters kung ang basehan eh occassional trips to tagaytay or clark

go for it

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    It would be worth it if the cars you are going to buy will be as economical, reliable and efficient as your hi lander.

I'm a little biased because we own one and serves us very well, no headaches were given to us by this vehicle and our other isuzu. Do you really need to downgrade to earlier models? The cars you mentioned are petrol powered, so it means more fuel consumption compared to your hi lander which is really fuel efficient from my experience (mas mura pa nga na mag sasakyan ako papunta sa school namin kaysa sa mag commute gamit yung hi lander), and probably more repair because of the age of those cars.

Kung marami na talaga sira hi lander niyo, at yung repairs eh aabot na sa isa pang kotse well its time to replace it.

It's really up to you, its just my opinion because ours never failed us from going to point A to point B. Or maybe we just have another car.

Why not save for an early 90's car like you mentioned, and keep the hi lander.
    Last edited by digitel; December 7th, 2010 at 07:46 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the inputs guys, those are really very good points you raised. As digitel mentioned, I can really attest to the hi-lander's frugality and reliability, never din kami tinirik sa lahat ng byahe namin out of town, kaya naman I'm raeally having a hard time to let it go. If ever minimal lang naman siguro kailangan niyng repairs. It's just that the opportunity of getting two cars for it seems quite hard to pass up, kasi nga ang taas ng resale value ng hi-lander. A few months back may kumukuha na sa akin for 300k, hindi pa lang talaga ako ready bitiwan siya noon. At this price or even lower, at 280k-290k I can get the two cars mentioned and still have some extra for repairs, though of course minimal repairs lang dapat, if any.

Siguro I'll just base my decision on how much I can sell my hi-lander, if it's a good price then that's a good sign that I can push through with the two cars.

Thanks again!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Take note also that more or less 50% of 2nd hand cars now are flooded vehicle baka pag nagkataon naku it would be a nightmare

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Unlike the Crosswind, the Hilander's resale value isn't very high even if they're basically the same so I'd suggest you keep the Hilander and save up for a smaller car of around 150-200k for backup. If fuel economy isn't a concern, you can get a Cefiro. If it is, try an EK Civic VTi or AE101 Corolla GLi.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow3616931 View Post
    Take note also that more or less 50% of 2nd hand cars now are flooded vehicle baka pag nagkataon naku it would be a nightmare

This is actually one of my concerns. Swerte talaga pag nakabili ka ng 2nd hand before Ondoy

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Unlike the Crosswind, the Hilander's resale value isn't very high even if they're basically the same so I'd suggest you keep the Hilander and save up for a smaller car of around 150-200k for backup. If fuel economy isn't a concern, you can get a Cefiro. If it is, try an EK Civic VTi or AE101 Corolla GLi.
    Actually, if I were to base it on ads listed in Manila Bulletin, XTRM models range from 310-320k. So give or take 20k for haggling, around 280-290k. Same price I got mine 2 years ago, so resale isn't that bad

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
give up hi-lander for 2 cars; worth it?