New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Planning to buy a 2nd hand unit with a 7-8 seating capacity, medyo bumaba lang budget ko, preferably 250k below. I've trimmed down my choices to these 3, mainly because of the ff.: average fuel efficiency, ride, and reliability. add na rin looks as an extra I've ruled out the AUVs( revo, hilander, adventure) since ride would not be one of their assets, though pasok sana sa price.

Pros and cons I can think of: ( Kindly correct me if I'm wrong)

Pajero: -age
    -single a/c only( will need to install a 2nd one at the rear)
    + durability and reliability
    + abundance of parts

Spacewagon: -least fuel efficient among the 3, even for the EFI model
    -single a/c also
    +abundance of parts
    + comfortable ride

Mazda MPV: -availability and cost of parts
    + comfortable ride
    + powerful engine
    + feature-packed( ABS, 4wheel discs, dual a/c, airbags)

Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    of your choices i would probably get the spacewagon. i think marami piesa nito sa banawe, and medyo ok pa naman looks nya sa daan ngayon... it's an honest people carrier.

pajero mahirap humanap ng maayos. karaniwan wasak talaga mga to. yung mga na body repair na, medyo mahal naman pag binenta. unless you plan to restore one, mahirap gawing everyday vehicle ito... age is usually not kind to the 4d56 engine (nagiging sirain sila). the legend of the 4d56 having bulletproof reliability stems mostly from the fact that there's so many of them made and so many are running around today - from delica to advie to pajero, this engine is found on so many vehicles. i should know, because i used to own a gen2 with this engine. kaasar. especially pag nagsimula na yung blow-by issue.

mazda mpv ok din pero medyo rare nga. if you can find one in good nick, why not.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    of your choices i would probably get the spacewagon. i think marami piesa nito sa banawe, and medyo ok pa naman looks nya sa daan ngayon... it's an honest people carrier.

pajero mahirap humanap ng maayos. karaniwan wasak talaga mga to. yung mga na body repair na, medyo mahal naman pag binenta. unless you plan to restore one, mahirap gawing everyday vehicle ito... age is usually not kind to the 4d56 engine (nagiging sirain sila). the legend of the 4d56 having bulletproof reliability stems mostly from the fact that there's so many of them made and so many are running around today - from delica to advie to pajero, this engine is found on so many vehicles. i should know, because i used to own a gen2 with this engine. kaasar. especially pag nagsimula na yung blow-by issue.

mazda mpv ok din pero medyo rare nga. if you can find one in good nick, why not.

Thanks for the inputs sir. I happened to have an experience too with the 4D56 before in an advie, kaya napasama yung paj sa list. Fortunately not as bad as yours, though I agree with you on the notion of the 4d56's reliablility. Mukhang risky nga kung ganun katanda and you're right, most I see on the streets laspag na talaga.

So, it may boil down to the 2 options left. Hopefully I can find either one in good condition.

Thanks again!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Are you sure about the Mazda MPV? Its quite rare here so parts are not easily found and are not likely to be cheap. Are you into vans? If so then I think the circa 1995 Hiace, Subic Delica and Space Gear and the local L300 Exceed (with the projector headlights) will also fit your budget.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i have to agree on the subic delica, though. sa features vs. price nya ok na ok sya kahit naka 4d56, hehehe.

conversion problems should have been remediated by now. nagsimula pumasok mga yan 2005 yata... dapat napa ayos na ng mga may ari nila conversion nyan. but, won't hurt for you to double check.

get the one with the skyroof... eto yung mga fully kitted models na magaganda interiors.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I think some of the newer Delicas have the 2.8 4M40 engine already, am I right? Its good off road, can brave the floods and its among the few in its price range and class to have 4WD and A/T. But then, besides the conversion, another thing to look out for is the sunroof, I've heard of some that leak, which is rather common in older cars.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I think some of the newer Delicas have the 2.8 4M40 engine already, am I right? Its good off road, can brave the floods and its among the few in its price range and class to have 4WD and A/T. But then, besides the conversion, another thing to look out for is the sunroof, I've heard of some that leak, which is rather common in older cars.
    mas ok ang delica kasi subok na yan, delica na 92 model na 4d56t pwede na rin. saka madaming pyesa mabibilan nyan unlike mazda bihira sa kalye siguro mas less ang pyesa nyan na mahahanap mo. imho

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    actually I'm not into vans, mas gusto ko pa rin kasi yung may barrier na nguso sa harap mo though gusto ko sana porma ng delica, hindi ba sya matagtag like the auvs? I've been seeing quite a number of jdm mpvs on the streets too, would that mean dadami kaya somehow ang parts nito? Or how about those jdm spacewagons (chariot), these are also turbo diesels so matipid. I'd assume it would have more parts available than the mpv

gen1 pajero vs. spacewagon vs. mpv(local)