New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    If it was the 80's where G-class LWB are a utility truck and not a luxury SUV and Defender LWB. Which would you choose? Money is no issue here... Which is the better in things it was made to be? Which is bigger and which is more easier to live as a family car?

P.S. Mga off-roaders, please join and share naman. Weakness and Strength of both cars.
    Last edited by drey; May 7th, 2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Both 5 Door Wagons (LWB)
    iam3739.com

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Both trucks are very capable off road but depending on which version of the Defender you are comparing to the G wagon the choice can go either way.

The G wagon was introduced in 1979(W460) and had part time 4wd with locking front and rear differentials activated via lever with no electronics. The current model(W463) has full time 4wd with 100% locking differential(front, rear, and center) activated by center console switches along with electronically controlled stabilizer system. The engine is more powerful than the 1st gen and it also has ABS and other elecronic management systems. Both generations used coil spring suspension.

The Land Rover Defender is a descendant of the Land Rover SeriesI/II/III which used leaf spring and the current Defender uses coil spring suspension. The Series also used part time 4wd and the Defender uses full time 4wd with a locking center differential. The current Defender was introduced in 1990 to diferentiate it from the Discovery and Range Rover.

Since you are comparing the 80's G wagon it would only be fair to compare the 80's Land Rover Series III to it. That being the case I would choose the G wagon with it coil spring suspension and locking front and rear diff. Now if I were to compare the current G wagon to the current Defender then I would pick the Defender 130 with it's longer wheelbase as a family car and the G wagon if I were to use it for off roading because of the locking diffs.
    Last edited by redorange; May 7th, 2007 at 04:39 AM.

more or less 11Million offroader just to get dented and scratched by a tree branch.. hehehehe..un ang g-wagon...un ngang 3-M ma defender i doubt kung makakatikim yan ng off-road dito sa atin

pero i'll pick the G-wagon anytime kung may pera, unless walang wala...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    hmmm parang di masyado knowledgable mga tsikot dito sa dalawa ah...

Defender vs. early 90's G. Both LWB's.

up ko lang po!
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'll go for the Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG

Seriously, the G-Class has more creature comforts than the Defender. Plus I like more the understated looks of the G-Class.

side comments i heard:

defender -> "uyy..ganda, saan po nyo pina-assemble yan?"--> provincial gas boy...easily mistaken by na novice na assembled like "original jeep wrangler"

g-class-> makita lang yung badge ng mercedes, iisipin agad na ang yaman mo! woow, "class" talaga

tignan mo ang G-class, di halos nagpalit ng body-style..just like yun defender.. tough reliable choices... kaya naglabas ng ML-line ang benz,e..

may kabitbahay kaming puros LR series 2/3 ang nakapark sa kanyang garage, pero up for restoration.. 2 lang ata nagaagmit palang nya pinalitan lang nya ng orig. LR-diesel engine yung gas engine ng ginagamit nya,e...pang hakot nya ng bigas kasi,e..

sa kabilang site may makakatulong sayo dun...

kung irerelate natin sa AUV's natin--> adventure ung G-class(di nagpalit ng body, pero facelift/equipment-add lang), xwind naman yung defender-->nagpalit ng body then face-lifts/acc add-on nalang...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    G-wagen anytime of the day.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    redorange comments are more than enough to explain which is a better buy.... obviously it is the defender 130 - space and 4wheeling capability.

now kung pasosyalan lang naman, go for the merc...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    hmmm parang di masyado knowledgable mga tsikot dito sa dalawa ah...

Defender vs. early 90's G. Both LWB's.

up ko lang po!
    you might also want to post this query sa 4x4ph... mas alam ng mga taga-roon ang SUV's and 4x4's

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    G-Wagen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
G-Class vs. Defender