New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you're planning to turbocharge down the line, don't bother with a brand new unit. Sayang warranty. Go for a slightly used secondhand. Probably best turbo project within a reasonable budget would be a secondhand Lancer GLX 2.0 MT (MT ha... not the CVT... not if you're going turbo).

Amongst your brand new choices, I would not turbo the Swift 1.4... I don't know if the engine can handle it. The old 1.5 was already marginal for a turbo project. An outgoing Fiesta 1.4 might be okay, but I'm not sure. The Fiesta's 1.6 can definitely handle boost, but the dual-clutch definitely can't. It is not rated for high torque. The Mazda2 engines have fragile plastic manifolds, but some guys have successfully done low-boost builds. (your limiting factor would be the clutch)

The Accent CRDi MT... ayun. Turbo na. Just need a chip, an intercooler and some exhaust work to make it more fun. Then you can work on the suspension and brakes to bring it up to par in terms of handling with the Fiesta and Mazda2. Then there's the new Kappa 1.4, which might be able to take some boosting compared to the higher spec 1.4s.

The Rio, I wouldn't do the 1.4. The 1.2 might be interesting to boost, but you won't make much power...

Still... if turbo is where you want to go, best bet is to get a secondhand Lancer 2.0 (MT! Basta MT!) or a secondhand Civic 2.0. With the Civic, even the automatic can take a little boost with no problem, but if you're going for 200 whp or more, you'll want to upgrade it.
    Sir Niky, since Lancer EX 1.6 MT na nakuha ko, ano pong masasabi nyo kapag ni-turbo ito after warranty? Can it handle? Wont make much power din ba?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    turbo road Pala ang balak. I agree with the lancer 2.0 Mt. just don't boost too high Para kaya pa daily driven. magnda baseline lancer ex in my opinion.

With the 1.6 ex kaya boost pero ill be on the safe side of .5 boost. bawi na lang sa suspension, breaks, stabilizer bars, and wheels.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by [archie] View Post
    turbo road Pala ang balak. I agree with the lancer 2.0 Mt. just don't boost too high Para kaya pa daily driven. magnda baseline lancer ex in my opinion.

With the 1.6 ex kaya boost pero ill be on the safe side of .5 boost. bawi na lang sa suspension, breaks, stabilizer bars, and wheels.
    When we say wheels, ano po specs ang needed kung nakaturbo para makasabay? Does it mean bigger and wider wheels and low profile series? Or just magandang brand na magaan na rims at makapit na tires?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Kaya. I was able to ask for a 50k discount pero just like Mikemike07 said itry mo pang i haggle down.
    Ma'am C4U, did you get the EX na? I thought you were waiting for the next Corolla.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sa wheels best to get more traction. thread wear of around 240 would be ideal Para kumapit kahit cornering. draw back is madali maubos goma. If budget permits get original sets of volk with original bolts kasi sa high speed tapos corner madali luluwag bolts kung hindi match mags.

Also don't forget suspension, kung magnda na wheels and walang control sa body roll medyo hindi rin kakapit ng tama. short throw are best in my opinion.

hindi na kasi porma habol, performance na.

edit: low profile is a must with the right psi Para hindi magalaw goma sa corner. wag din sobrsng baba ng series baka mags na tatama sa road. wider tires are also good pero not much of a must.
    Last edited by [archie]; July 26th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyds View Post
    Sir Niky, since Lancer EX 1.6 MT na nakuha ko, ano pong masasabi nyo kapag ni-turbo ito after warranty? Can it handle? Wont make much power din ba?
    About 160 whp is safe. That should be around 7-10 psi, depending on the turbo set-up.

-

You'll want better brake pads, maybe slotted rotors. Ralliart suspension is available naman (just get the shocks), then add 18" GTA wheels... perfect.

You can stick with the 16" wheels, but performance options in that rather tall tire size are limited.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    ^medyo di pala cost effective iturbo yung 1.6 lancer kung ganun. Better if bumili nakang ng 2nd hand 2.0. After bolt on performance mods and unichip, lamang na sa turbocharged 1.6

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b0y37 View Post
    Ma'am C4U, did you get the EX na? I thought you were waiting for the next Corolla.
    No. I did not push through with the purchase. I decided to wait for the Corolla.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#retzing

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemike07 View Post
    ^medyo di pala cost effective iturbo yung 1.6 lancer kung ganun. Better if bumili nakang ng 2nd hand 2.0. After bolt on performance mods and unichip, lamang na sa turbocharged 1.6
    Lamang in peak power, but torque throughout the range is much more than an NA 2.0. Still, best bet is a turbo 2.0.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Mazda 2 1.3L MT hatchback is the sweetest find IMO.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast