New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I dont know where to put this thread but since the forum included the word "comparison" I decided to put it here. Mods, if you find this inappropriate kindly transfer this thread. Thanks.

I just noticed that the fuel consumption from the 80s and today didnt change despite the huge gap in terms of technological advancements. Most cars still average between 7-10km/litre despite the existence of CRDI, EFI, Variable Valve Timing engines, CVT, and some electronic gadgets that I am not aware of.

Even if you say that although cars get the same figures but nevertheless cars today are more effecient since it has more engine power. But the bottomline is it still has the same fuel consumption.

THe only way that I can think of to get a higher figure is to adopt unpractical and unrealistic driving practices like in the Petron blaze driving challenge.

Hangang diyan na lang kaya ang average fuel consumption ng gas or diesel engines?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    mas ok naman tsikot ngaun with a lot of amenities

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Tingin ko kasi masyadong malaki ang gap ng range mo na 7-10 km/liter. If you break that into say 7-8 and 9-10 kms/liter may makikita ka namang improvement. Its not comparable to a computers speed improvement pero meron pa din.For example, nung 80's yung car ko na 7-8 kms/liter ay mitsubishi colt na 1.4 liter. Ngayon, ang katumbas noon ay halos Honda City na napakahirap pababain below 11 kms/liter ang konsumo. Yun namang car ko nung 90s na 9-10 kms/liter ay mitsubishi lancer na 1.4 liter din. Kung ikukumpara sa ngayon, ang closest siguro ay Civic na 1.5 liter (nung panahon na meron pa nun). Bukod sa mas malaki makina nung Civic, mas madali makuha ang lagpas 10 kms/liter kesa sa doon sa Lancer na nakakakuha lang ng 10 pagka bagong tune-up, service, etc.Bottomline, may improvement. Hindi nga lang earth-shattering. Also, a large part of it is offset by the slowly increasing weights of newer cars as well as heavier feet ng nagda-drive.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Your Km per liter is not just determined by the car you drive but by the traffic around you. Just look around you when you are driving is the traffic you encounter now the same as the 80's or even the 90's? There are more vehicles in the roads now from jeepney, bus, trucks, etc. the is more congestion in the roadways. The main difference is the cars now burn cleaner with unleaded gas as opposed to the 80's and early 90's with leaded gas used by cars. If you had the technology of today with the traffic situation of the past you'd probably get better mileage.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The answer lies in more power and more efficient for that amount of power. I too thought of this and if you could just imagine:

You get great fuel economy back then, but your 0-62mph is really slow. Now, you get the same fuel economy, but your 0-62mph is much smaller with the newer engines.

If you drive at the indicated highway speed limit noon (55mph/90kph) you'll get the best MPG for long haul drives. But if you drive at the indicated speed limit these days, you actually get more.

I'll use my car as an example. It's a 1983 300D turbodiesel. It's counterpart these days is the E320 CDI/Bluetec. I get a respectable 25MPG mixed for a 24 year old car. My car's factory EPA estimates were 27city, 34highway. I have managed to get the 27mpg in the city but not yet the highway because the car was built to travel at 55mph. Above that, MPG declines.

The new MB on the other hand gets 27 city, 37 highway. I haven't tested this yet (I would kill to!) but I'm pretty sure it will get slightly below that amount because of AC usage, traffic conditions, etc.

BUT...my car gets to 62mph in 12-13 seconds. That new MB gets there half the time, maybe even less!!! And it's even faster than its gasoline counterpart!

There has to be a balance between power and fuel economy, and still satisfying emissions requirements. That's a lot to consider when you attempt to engineer a new car design! If you boost the fuel consumption a bit, emissions will suffer, and will make the car a "gross polluter" (in the eyes of EPA) and won't be marketable (if there's such a word) in other regions. So manufacturers have to design these cars to meet ALL requirements and still pass and provide years of troublefree motoring. Which leads to another consideration. With regards to environmental pollution, the manufacturing of certain materials is already limited due to environmental concerns. Imagine, if you build a very efficient Toyota Prius but you actually fail to mention that the batteries used are very harmful to the environment, how can you actually save on great fuel economy if you ruin the environment in the same process? Cheaper materials are used to build cars these days and that also inhibits manufacturers from getting great build quality. It also allows for parts to break easily. Crumple zones have to be engineered to also be pedestrian-safe, this entails the necessity to design the hood, wipers, grille and bumper to be soft enough to be safe, but hard enough for an actual car collision.

So, getting back on topic. There are a lot of things to consider with increasing fuel economy and making it still realistic for each and every customer to drive the cars. I mean, you can't always expect them to drive at 55mph/90kph all the time and know when to brake (or when not to), when to use the AC, electricals, and when to put stuff in the trunk to save weight. Tires are also another concern when fuel economy so you have to keep them in the correct pressures. All these for a soccer-mom to consider? Not really. People buy cars as transportation alone most of the time. They just want the car to get from A to B and get the EPA estimates they were told to get. That's mostly what they really care about, and the other factors get overlooked until the next maintenance period.

Ah, I wrote too long... hehe sorry I also pondered on this a long time ago and I hope I have answered the question if not provided good info on it.
    Last edited by mbeige; May 20th, 2007 at 07:55 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I agree with mbeige. I had a 1986 Nissan Pulsar NX. While it had great gas mileage, it's 1.6L 4-cyl engine put out a puny 55 hp. Today's cars with 1.5 4-cyl engines are much more powerful (over 2x my Pulsar's) and yet has still the same or better gas mileage.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I do agree that cars today are much more effecient than before. Our Mitsu L200 with 72hp averages between 9-10km/itre while our Toyota fortuner with 163hp get the same figures. Sometimes the fortuner even gets better mileage but only by a slight margin. ALthough cars today are quicker, more comfortable, includes a lot of amenities, etc. but why cant they build gas or diesel engine powered cars that can go as far as let us say 17-20km/litre?

I would like to think that 9-10 or 10-11 km/litre is the margin that car manufacturers want to stay since they keep building more powerful engines as time progresses. But if they maintain the level of engine power that we got from the 90's (corolla gli * 110hp, civic lxi * 105hp) and with the technology today perhaps or maybe we could get a significantly better fuel consumption.

Or maybe car makers are in collusion with oil producers.
    Last edited by usokpower; May 20th, 2007 at 09:04 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^^They already can, but would the common man want to buy it with its performance? Probably not...

The key is to gradually increase performance with relatively similar fuel economy. Look at the patterns!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It'd be nice if there was a graph with curves showing the gas mileage/hp/engine size trend over the last 20 years. That would take a lot of work though.

Here's a study that's already been done:
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/mpg/fetrends/420s05001.pdf

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it is the same internal combustion engine we are using for decades ... it can only do so much even at complete combustion operation ... it is inherently a very inefficient machine and will remain that way

fwiw ... crdi technology appears to be a significant improvement and is likely to be embraced by every auto manufacturer in the future ... 20 km/li might become the new benchmark for anyone using a diesel engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Fuel consumption before and now