New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Had the same problem as yours last week since we needed a new company car. Rather than the 2.5s, I needed to canvass the top-line 3.2 Fortuner or the 2.5 GT-V since 4x4 was a must.

Personally, it wins hands down on every criteria I throw at it. The Fortuner still needs some interior issues to fix (I see plastics everywhere) while the Monty mixes plastics with some "titanium" accents. The thing with the Monty is that the knobs on the center console really feels... cheap.

Handling is better on the Monty. Even better if you tried its manual tranny (for manual non-VGT montys). It's a real treat to have that in a SUV of its size. But since most of us would go the automatic route for the convenience, it's considered an extra point.

I still feel a bit of turbo lag in the VGT at low-RPMs, but that might be because I'm a bit fudgy on the drive. Naninibago kamo. But it's worth noting to expect turbo lag. 0-60mph is a no brainer on the 2.5L although I didn't factor this on the 3.2 Fortuner and the GT-V since power and torque comes quite close to each other.

I didn't notice the engine sound too much though. Was too busy fidgeting with the center console GPS (which I didn't like BTW due to its small size and positioning)

There's an issue in the Monty thread regarding a white visible gas exhaust at idle. But I didn't notice it either and was only after the drive before I noticed the post (I mean, test drive siya eh :P don't see why I should go down and check the exhaust for no reason at all)

And so.... Citimotors Alabang ako this week got the best price there for the GT-V model (thanks to a fellow referral in here). Mitsu dealerships near our area (Quezon City) are pretty stingy in giving discounts and freebies.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Had the same problem as yours last week since we needed a new company car. Rather than the 2.5s, I needed to canvass the top-line 3.2 Fortuner or the 2.5 GT-V since 4x4 was a must.

Personally, it wins hands down on every criteria I throw at it. The Fortuner still needs some interior issues to fix (I see plastics everywhere) while the Monty mixes plastics with some "titanium" accents. The thing with the Monty is that the knobs on the center console really feels... cheap.

Handling is better on the Monty. Even better if you tried its manual tranny (for manual non-VGT montys). It's a real treat to have that in a SUV of its size. But since most of us would go the automatic route for the convenience, it's considered an extra point.

I still feel a bit of turbo lag in the VGT at low-RPMs, but that might be because I'm a bit fudgy on the drive. Naninibago kamo. But it's worth noting to expect turbo lag. 0-60mph is a no brainer on the 2.5L although I didn't factor this on the 3.2 Fortuner and the GT-V since power and torque comes quite close to each other.

I didn't notice the engine sound too much though. Was too busy fidgeting with the center console GPS (which I didn't like BTW due to its small size and positioning)

There's an issue in the Monty thread regarding a white visible gas exhaust at idle. But I didn't notice it either and was only after the drive before I noticed the post (I mean, test drive siya eh :P don't see why I should go down and check the exhaust for no reason at all)

And so.... Citimotors Alabang ako this week got the best price there for the GT-V model (thanks to a fellow referral in here). Mitsu dealerships near our area (Quezon City) are pretty stingy in giving discounts and freebies.
    You mean 3.0 Fortuner.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    my bad my bad. Hirap talaga post-afternoon naps

4. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    I got my 2011 Fortuner last December and I love it. Despite losing in many aspects, I still bought it because for me it still looks better than any other at that price range. Parang Iphone vs Android siya if you ask me. Fort is an iphone, luma and limited pero still very appealing. Monty is an android phone. Daming new features.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sometimes, looks really beats performance. It's like a partner that you're proud of because she's pretty and not because she's talented. Whatever makes us happy.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ProdigalGirl View Post
    I got my 2011 Fortuner last December and I love it. Despite losing in many aspects, I still bought it because for me it still looks better than any other at that price range. Parang Iphone vs Android siya if you ask me. Fort is an iphone, luma and limited pero still very appealing. Monty is an android phone. Daming new features.
    i like your comparison sir, parang iphone4 na specs-wise panget at outdated na(kung techie ka mapapansin mo agad to) vs new android phones na super ganda ng specs

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    To the TS,

If I will be given the same amount of money to buy Montero or Fortuner, I would rather find my self a decent LC 100, 110 or 90. It might not be as futuristic's compare to montero and fortuner, It might not be as fast as the Montero and Fortuner, It might not be as Elagant as the two. But Land Cruiser will always be a Land Cuiser. And we do have a saying, "when the going get's tough only the tough keeps on going"...

But then again It's just me

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    imho kung makakabili ng brand new na auto brand new na, less hassle at sigurado kang ok ang unit

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    para sakin...

nasa bibili talaga...

kung ikaw ay yung taong mas enjoy sa spirited driving everytime you drive, mahilig sa specs ng engine kung anu mas malakas at mabilis, Usually mga forumers ay ganito, kase mahilig sa kotse. Priority ang specs lagi. Ma eenjoy mo ang Montero, So Montero ka na.... More on Fun to Drive.

kung ikaw ay yung taong relax mag drive, mas iniisip mo kung panu mo patatagalin sasakyan mo o sobrang ingat magmaneho, maselan ka sa mga details ng cars, hindi priority ang lakas at bilis ng sasakyan, gusto mo kung san ka makakatipid, sa FORTUNER ka na.... More on Comfort to Drive.

Daming details to consider. Like for example sa porma. Anytime of the day i will pick fortuner over montero interior & exterior. Pero kanya kanya lang kase talaga. Sa paspasan naman sa INVECS na ako ng montero, Sa daming comparo na ng fortuner vs montero, driver's taste malaking factor o priority. Na dis appoint ka man sa ibang bagay na natuklasan mo sa sasakyan mo ang mahalaga nakuha mo yung pinaka PRIORITY mo.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eljo3025 View Post
    Sometimes, looks really beats performance. It's like a partner that you're proud of because she's pretty and not because she's talented. Whatever makes us happy.
    Hehe i like this one bro + 1!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Fortuner or 2011 Montero Sport VGT