New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Hi, I'm looking at replacing my car with either of the two models, which are now heavily discounted and have similar prices. Any opinions on either/both of them? Here are the factors which are important to me:

1: Durability
    2: Ride Comfort
    3: Driving Dynamics / Handling
    4: Ease of Ingress / Egress

I'm not concerned with maintenance costs no with fuel economy, I just want a ride that's dependable and whose ownership is hassle-free. Thanks for anyone who's willing to share any feedback.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenR View Post
    Hi, I'm looking at replacing my car with either of the two models, which are now heavily discounted and have similar prices. Any opinions on either/both of them? Here are the factors which are important to me:

1: Durability
    2: Ride Comfort
    3: Driving Dynamics / Handling
    4: Ease of Ingress / Egress

I'm not concerned with maintenance costs no with fuel economy, I just want a ride that's dependable and whose ownership is hassle-free. Thanks for anyone who's willing to share any feedback.

Durability goes to Mazda for sure. Subaru’s CVTs aren’t the best historically when it comes to reliability. I’d go with the conventional 6 speed of the mazda.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    wait for the rav4?

hw is resident anticvt btw

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    For those w/ CVTs, if you're keeping your cars long term, it's advised to change the CVT fluid every 30-40k kms. Driving short distances & in heavy traffic are classified under severe conditions usage. Passing on here the parts & procedure needed for '14-'18 XT CVT as shared in subaruforester.org by member, 1roamingnome:
    Parts:
    -Transmission pan filter
    -5gal bucket of Subaru High Torque CVT Fluid
    -Transmission drain plug crush washer
    -Transmission fill plug gasket
    -Permatex RTV, preferably its quick cure "The Right Stuff"

Basic Procedure : Vehicle must be perfectly level.
    1) Drain fluid, meaure volume, observe color & smell.
    2) Remove fill plug at rear end of transmission case (allen plug).
    3) Drop pan, replace pan screen,. Clean magnet& pan well. Remove all original Subaru orange Gasket Maker (rtv). Use wipes that won’t leave any lint behind. That pan should have nothing in it when done, just the clean magnet.
    4) Should brake cleaner be used, None should hit the valve body nor the CVT. Just use it on a pc of cloth to remove oil and debris from mating surface.
    5) Clean mating surfaces of the transmission & pan thoroughly. When done, it should be clean shiny metal .
    6) Apply Permatex " The Right Stuff " to the transmission pan. Follow directions. It cures fast and the equipment can be returned to service immediately.
    7) With an extra pair of hands holding the pan up, mate it to the bottom of the transmission. Before mating, wipe clean any oil from mating surfaces Finger tighten bolts, corners 1st.
    8) Install remaining ones by hand. Then, lightly torque in cris-cross pattern.
    9) Lightly torque is super important....steel going into aluminum.
    10) Replace transmission pan drain plug w/ new crush washer.
    11) Fill transmission through fill plug in rear of transmission. Fill with High Torque CVT Fluid using a new pump. Do not contaminate CVT and Fluid with anything foreign.
    12) Fill til fluid drips out fill port. Reinstall drain plug with original gasket, then, lightly tighten.
    13) Start engine and idle til transmission fluid temp comes to between 35°C-45°C. Use a vehicle diagnostic computer that can access tranny temp out of the OBD or TCM.
    14) Run the gear selector through the gears. R N D then D N R P. This ensures fluid is well circulated.
    15) With engine running and transmission in park remove fill plug. Add CVT fluid til it drips out the fill plug. When it’s at a slow drip to no drip reinstall fill plug. Remove old gasket and use new gasket.Torque to light tight, torque spec 35 ft/lbs.
    16) Clean everything up, clean off any splashed cvt fluid on transmission and exhaust.
    17) Check for leaks and weeps. Tighten transmission pan drain plug if its leaking or weeping till leak/weep stops.
    18) Now you are going to need an advanced diagnostic computer. Most of us will have to go to the dealership to access the TCM for a relearn procedure. The procedure takes about 20 mins though and will have to be done with the transmission fluid temp around that 40°C.
    19) Drive lightly, no WOT, nor quick acceleration for 100kms let the transmission relearn itself out with the new fluid.

That's CVT maintenance for everyone....pro or anti.[emoji4][emoji13]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    that panscreen is needed maybe after 5years.. its not like an oil filter. its a sealed trans after all.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    that panscreen is needed maybe after 5years.. its not like an oil filter. its a sealed trans after all.
    But while one is at it, why not swap it in 1 go? The thing w/ CVTs is we gotta keep its own bits from killing itself by regular fluid changes as they're practically non-rebuildable. They're efficient, yes, but, however one sugarcoats, spins or defends em, CVTs can never claim durability the way they're currently built. Sad truth, apologies.[emoji852]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I just changed CVTF this weekend. Subaru suggests fluid change every 40k actual mileage. It was 36k on my odometer and I had it done at Fusion R. CVTF and gear oil change for 9k, a lot cheaper compared to being done at Motor Image.

These two vehicles were our top choices back in 2016. The CX5 feels more luxurious inside compared to the spartan interiors of the FXT. However, the FXT has better legroom and a bigger trunk. There is no question as to power output plus Subie has a better AWD system. At the time we were buying, Motor Image offered a hefty discount bringing the price to almost the same as the CX5 AWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I just changed CVTF this weekend. Subaru suggests fluid change every 40k actual mileage. It was 36k on my odometer and I had it done at Fusion R. CVTF and gear oil change for 9k, a lot cheaper compared to being done at Motor Image.

These two vehicles were our top choices back in 2016. The CX5 feels more luxurious inside compared to the spartan interiors of the FXT. However, the FXT has better legroom and a bigger trunk. There is no question as to power output plus Subie has a better AWD system. At the time we were buying, Motor Image offered a hefty discount bringing the price to almost the same as the CX5 AWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bro...smoother? Noticed any difference?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_BIG18 View Post
    Bro...smoother? Noticed any difference?

Just the same, like an oil change. It took 6L for a normal drain and refill method. 1L of gear oil for the rear differential and 1.5L for the front differential. Sinabay ko na rin oil change. 10k all in except the oil which I brought with me.

Going back to the topic, I would be happy driving either CUV. My wife really liked the interiors of the CX5 and it is a prettier vehicle than the FXT. Even though both vehicles handle like sedans but the CX5 feels like you're enclosed or wrapped inside while the FXT has those big windows which offer better outward visibility.

My suggestion would be to test drive both vehicles and choose one that feels right for you. I would suggest bringing the vehicles to some open area to give it a spirited run. I drive in SLEX daily and I prefer a vehicle that can get up to speed quicker.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    ^ Thank you for all the feedback! Lots of very useful info. A test drive is a bit difficult now due to my schedule, and the dealers are an hour's drive (I live in the neckadawoods). I'm leaning towards the XT, but the GF likes the CX-5 better. I really appreciate everyone sharing their opinions and experiences!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast