New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gtvguy View Post
    thanks sa replies guys as of now yun ngang mustang ang first choice ko, pero totoo ba maglalabas nanaman ford ng bago model ,di ba 2013 model na mga nasa pinas na ford dealers, yung 86 before ang una ko nagustuhan kaso nung nasa the fort ko minsan nag tabi yung mustang at 86 parang lahat ng tao sa paligid sa mustang lang naka tingin hehe ng mukang common lang 86 although i know handling is better sa 86 at sa reviews dami sabi ito pinaka fun car to drive kaso 200 hp lang, yung sti naman nagustuhan ko kasi tama lang horse power and parang evo nadin ,kaso out dated na itsura 2008 pa nilabas ganung model
    ayaw mo ng camaro aka BUMBLE BEE, sabagay nasa 3.5M sya :D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Out of left-field... consider a MINI? Fantastic to drive. Cheap to gas up. Maintenance not cheap, but there are aftermarket suppliers for parts and fluids here. Easiest car here to drive through traffic in, and it's fun at whatever speed you're driving.

Oh, and chicks dig MINIs. Dudes dig MINIs, too... most gearheads will give you respect for choosing a Cooper S.
    We both dig the MINI. I have driven it and loved it. BUT the price tag is way above other options like the GenCoupe or the GT86 if you are choosing the MINI Cooper S.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CoDer View Post
    Hindi na ako mag iisip if I have that money, I'd get the Mustang. Now if I can stretch that amount to 5.6M then it will be the Shelby GT500 all the way.
    At P5.6M, wouldn't it be better to include other options? Like from the European market like BMW, Merc and Audi?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    At P5.6M, wouldn't it be better to include other options? Like from the European market like BMW, Merc and Audi?
    I have always dreamed of getting a Mustang since I was a young boy. Logic has no say in my choice at all, just pure heart.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    What a read! Bravo, sir Niky!

How about the 370Z? Is it at par among those on your comparo?
    Haven't driven the 3.7. From what others say, it's a more involving drive than the Genesis Coupe. Heavier steering, needs to be muscled around more, but more rewarding to drive. Yun lang... over 3m, two seats lang... For that much, you could have a Genesis Coupe with the Brembos, aftermarket suspension and a whole crapload of power adders.

We both dig the MINI. I have driven it and loved it. BUT the price tag is way above other options like the GenCoupe or the GT86 if you are choosing the MINI Cooper S.
    Yun lang... price is a huge bummer for the MINI Cooper S. 2.5m na... up from just over 2m when it was introduced. There's always secondhand. The first-gen had better steering and (personally) better looks. Yun lang, it wasn't as quick as the new one is. And once we start talking secondhand, everything goes out the window... secondhand M3, Secondhand R34 GT-R... too bad the R35 is still out of the price range, but if you get Richard Guttierez's car, I think it will fit. Or you could go grey-market and buy the 350 hp korean-market Genesis.

-

The one big nit I have with the 86 is the automatic. Just not a great gearbox. And all that delicate feel from the perfect handling balance gets tossed out the window. It's like getting a Swedish massage while wearing a wetsuit.

If you're getting the manual, fantastic. Like Christmas come early. It's a bargain compared to the MX-5 and faster, to boot. Still could stand to be faster.

-

Not that I mind the speed, really. Hell, I'm the kind of guy who has a grand time hooning around in a Suzuki Alto, and my favorite sports car of all time is the Mazda2... so I'm not a horsepower snob... but if you have something that special to drive and that keen, you'll really notice the lack. Like the Miata... the car is so damn competent that the handling envelope is big enough to handle loads more horsepower than the car actually has.

As opposed to the first-gen Genesis, where the car had more power than chassis, making it tricksy to drive in the rain or down a rough road. Not fun. (The new one is, though).
    Last edited by niky; February 15th, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're getting the manual, fantastic. Like Christmas come early. It's a bargain compared to the MX-5 and faster, to boot. Still could stand to be faster.
    So said the guy who have spent over a car's resale value on mods on a Ford Lynx RS.

But hey, that is why there are tuner shops like SPEEDLAB around to get great cars (like the GT86) to become even much better.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not that I mind the speed, really. Hell, I'm the kind of guy who has a grand time hooning around in a Suzuki Alto, and my favorite sports car of all time is the Mazda2... so I'm not a horsepower snob... but if you have something that special to drive and that keen, you'll really notice the lack. Like the Miata... the car is so damn competent that the handling envelope is big enough to handle loads more horsepower than the car actually has.
    Come on, we both have fun in tiny cars. Like just recently with the Mirage 1.2L ... I drove it through Tanay Rizal's curving mountain roads and have having so much fun doing stupid fast speeds through the corners (on narrow tires!) and trying late braking to maximize performance only to realize the car doesn't come with ABS.

I was kinda impressed that the car's brakes did not fade out because engine braking from the tiny 1.2L motor was pretty weak.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    So said the guy who have spent over a car's resale value on mods on a Ford Lynx RS.

But hey, that is why there are tuner shops like SPEEDLAB around to get great cars (like the GT86) to become even much better.
    Hey, in terms of mods and not maintenance, I'd say half. Stop flogging a dead horse.

The question in terms of mods is the limitation of the direct injection... whether you can tune around the injection system or if it'll cap the power. I think if Toyota had gone with a more traditional port injection system, you'd be able to uncork STI-levels of power (up to 400-500 without internals) from the 86. As it is, I think 300 hp might be a safet target for turbocharging.

Still... it doesn't really need much. I'd say just fifty more horses from a supercharger would be enough to really liven it up.

Come on, we both have fun in tiny cars. Like just recently with the Mirage 1.2L ... I drove it through Tanay Rizal's curving mountain roads and have having so much fun doing stupid fast speeds through the corners (on narrow tires!) and trying late braking to maximize performance only to realize the car doesn't come with ABS.

I was kinda impressed that the car's brakes did not fade out because engine braking from the tiny 1.2L motor was pretty weak.
    The Mirage needs stiffer springs, polyurethane bushings, and relocation of the stock rear spring perches to give it more suspension travel. Then strip out the interior to make it even more ridiculously light than it is. In terms of power... might not be much Mitsubishi is leaving on the table. The exhaust has two cats and two resonators but no muffler... so removing the second cat and resonator won't really do much... it's already free-flowing. The intake has a huge restriction in the form of the tiny, tiny, TINY throttle-body. But since it's a MAP-equipped car, a custom throttle-body and intake manifold might work. Individual motorcycle throttles, perhaps? :hysterical:

Man, would I love to make a PTTC car out of the Mirage... that ultra-stiff, ultra-light chassis has so much fricking potential.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    thank you for the detailed reply yung mini cooper s looks really small to me feeling ko hindi macho o pogi itsura pero of course may certain prestige if you have that car, dito ata sa pinas mustang gt premium na pinaka top of the line they don't have daw the shelby gt 500 mukang sa gray market lang, and over the budget nako nun hehe, i wanted the aero variant ng 86 before but medyo na turn off ako sa spoiler nung nakita ko na personally, ewan ko never really imagined the genesis coupe as my choice talaga it doens't have that look na mapapansin mo kagad although the features are very nice and the price is competitive also, before i always dreamed of the evo X kaso over priced for me above 3M pero 295 hp only but i love the shark look, heres my original plan benta ko na altis ko which is my everyday car luma na kasi 2004 model, then ang magiging every day ride ko na montero gtv ko, then second car nalang to bibilihin ko , i plan to keep it stock and for keeps na din sana so i really want to make the right choice
    Having driven these cars, here's a low-down of the fun stuff you can get for under 3m.

Ford Mustang V8
    + POWAH
    + Actually handles decently for a lead sled
    + Sounds great
    + Brings the drama
    + Good brakes
    - Glug glug glug
    - Ridiculous back seat for something so big
    - That stupid +/- manumatic shift button
    - Heavy nose, you can really feel the big V8 in corners

Hyundai Genesis Coupe
    + faster than the 86
    + much better interior quality
    + much more space
    + much better ride quality
    + Turbo variant goes like stink
    + V6 goes like stink, sounds great and feels like a mega VTEC
    + Most performance for the buck on the market right now
    - A bit wide
    - Doesn't steer as nicely as the 86, but drives very, very good
    - 2-3 shift a bit rough for the manual. Automatic is nice
    - Squirrely in the rain. Leave the traction control on

Mazda MX5
    + Nicer steering than 86
    + Lighter than the 86
    + Fantastic automatic hardtop
    + Sounds good for a four-cylinder
    + Best handling balance, ever
    + throttle response is very, very linear
    + Feels fast at any speed
    - Softer suspension than 86
    - 86 handling balance is just as good, and composure at the limit is better
    - Less power than the 86
    - Costs a whole lot more than the 86
    - No back seat
    - Rear visibility is worst here

MINI Cooper S JCW
    + Great steering feel
    + Great looks
    + Great interior
    + Great automatic
    + More fun than a box of rabid squirrels
    + Better to drive in traffic and on the highway than (gasp) 86
    + Incredible resale value
    + Feels fast at any speed. Moreso than MX5
    - Torque steer
    - expensive service
    - expensive price
    - you can get 95% of the performance from the regular Cooper S
    - tiny back seat (as if that were a problem)

Mitsubishi EVO X
    + Zingy engine
    + Telepathic responses
    + Fantastic AWD system
    + Ultra-responsive dual clutch
    - Interior doesn't feel special. Hell, GTA interior is better
    - Needs more torque
    - Dual Clutch overheats from hard track use... but you're probably never going to have that issue
    - Expensive compared to STI

Subaru STI
    + Drives like a bucking bronco
    + Four-wheel drifting in the dirt, the gravel and even on dusty parking lots
    + Easy to drive, easy to clutch-kick drift, handbrake drift, lift-off drift, trailbrake drift...
    + Four REAL seats
    + Huge potential
    - Stiff ride
    - Stiffer clutch (ouch)
    - Drivetrain clunks and rattles
    - The looks
    - Steering is wooly, lacks delicacy
    - Actually, that describes the entire car

Toyota 86
    + Steering is the best electric power steering system short of the MX-5
    + Telepathic responses
    + Lovely shifter action. Same box as in MX-5, but feels even better
    + Light weight
    + Sounds nice
    + Easy to drive, like a big go-kart
    + Lots of aftermarket support
    - Tiny back seat
    - Sits so low to the ground that it's a pain to crawl out of
    - So-so interior
    - Stiff ride
    - Lack of torque in traffic means it feels pretty ordinary in daily driving
    - Don't ever get the automatic. Ruins the delicate balance of the car and really highlights lack of torque

------

The 86 is nice, but don't let the dealership force you into the TRD bull**** add-ons and echeche-bureche. It rides better on the standard suspension and it drives just as nicely. If all that matters is the sportscar feel, this is the real thing. But don't be disappointed if it feels "bitin" in everyday driving. Because it certainly does.

You really should give the GenCoupe a chance. Fantastic power and speed, and Hyundai has really improved it over the previous one. I once said I prefer to drive the Mazda6 to the GenCoupe... and while I still like the steering of the Mazda6 better (it's a Mazda), the GenCoupe's handling is no longer embarrassingly soft. Driving at 240 km/h no longer feels like taking your life into your hands.

The STI is fantastic. Just as quick as the GenCoupe. Lots easier to drive fast since it feels tighter. But it's coarse, unrefined and clunky. One-track mind lang. In other words, its mind is always on the racetrack.

The Mustang is fantastic in a straight line. But while it's not a one-trick pony, as it handles decently, consider whether it's too much car for Metro Manila... sayang lang having all that power if you can only uncork it for one or two seconds at a time before catching up with more traffic. Needs lots of space to stretch its legs. More than any other car here.

Out of left-field... consider a MINI? Fantastic to drive. Cheap to gas up. Maintenance not cheap, but there are aftermarket suppliers for parts and fluids here. Easiest car here to drive through traffic in, and it's fun at whatever speed you're driving.

Oh, and chicks dig MINIs. Dudes dig MINIs, too... most gearheads will give you respect for choosing a Cooper S.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Having driven these cars, here's a low-down of the fun stuff you can get for under 3m.

Ford Mustang V8
    + POWAH
    + Actually handles decently for a lead sled
    + Sounds great
    + Brings the drama
    + Good brakes
    - Glug glug glug
    - Ridiculous back seat for something so big
    - That stupid +/- manumatic shift button
    - Heavy nose, you can really feel the big V8 in corners

Hyundai Genesis Coupe
    + faster than the 86
    + much better interior quality
    + much more space
    + much better ride quality
    + Turbo variant goes like stink
    + V6 goes like stink, sounds great and feels like a mega VTEC
    + Most performance for the buck on the market right now
    - A bit wide
    - Doesn't steer as nicely as the 86, but drives very, very good
    - 2-3 shift a bit rough for the manual. Automatic is nice
    - Squirrely in the rain. Leave the traction control on

Mazda MX5
    + Nicer steering than 86
    + Lighter than the 86
    + Fantastic automatic hardtop
    + Sounds good for a four-cylinder
    + Best handling balance, ever
    + throttle response is very, very linear
    + Feels fast at any speed
    - Softer suspension than 86
    - 86 handling balance is just as good, and composure at the limit is better
    - Less power than the 86
    - Costs a whole lot more than the 86
    - No back seat
    - Rear visibility is worst here

MINI Cooper S JCW
    + Great steering feel
    + Great looks
    + Great interior
    + Great automatic
    + More fun than a box of rabid squirrels
    + Better to drive in traffic and on the highway than (gasp) 86
    + Incredible resale value
    + Feels fast at any speed. Moreso than MX5
    - Torque steer
    - expensive service
    - expensive price
    - you can get 95% of the performance from the regular Cooper S
    - tiny back seat (as if that were a problem)

Mitsubishi EVO X
    + Zingy engine
    + Telepathic responses
    + Fantastic AWD system
    + Ultra-responsive dual clutch
    - Interior doesn't feel special. Hell, GTA interior is better
    - Needs more torque
    - Dual Clutch overheats from hard track use... but you're probably never going to have that issue
    - Expensive compared to STI

Subaru STI
    + Drives like a bucking bronco
    + Four-wheel drifting in the dirt, the gravel and even on dusty parking lots
    + Easy to drive, easy to clutch-kick drift, handbrake drift, lift-off drift, trailbrake drift...
    + Four REAL seats
    + Huge potential
    - Stiff ride
    - Stiffer clutch (ouch)
    - Drivetrain clunks and rattles
    - The looks
    - Steering is wooly, lacks delicacy
    - Actually, that describes the entire car

Toyota 86
    + Steering is the best electric power steering system short of the MX-5
    + Telepathic responses
    + Lovely shifter action. Same box as in MX-5, but feels even better
    + Light weight
    + Sounds nice
    + Easy to drive, like a big go-kart
    + Lots of aftermarket support
    - Tiny back seat
    - Sits so low to the ground that it's a pain to crawl out of
    - So-so interior
    - Stiff ride
    - Lack of torque in traffic means it feels pretty ordinary in daily driving
    - Don't ever get the automatic. Ruins the delicate balance of the car and really highlights lack of torque

------

The 86 is nice, but don't let the dealership force you into the TRD bull**** add-ons and echeche-bureche. It rides better on the standard suspension and it drives just as nicely. If all that matters is the sportscar feel, this is the real thing. But don't be disappointed if it feels "bitin" in everyday driving. Because it certainly does.

You really should give the GenCoupe a chance. Fantastic power and speed, and Hyundai has really improved it over the previous one. I once said I prefer to drive the Mazda6 to the GenCoupe... and while I still like the steering of the Mazda6 better (it's a Mazda), the GenCoupe's handling is no longer embarrassingly soft. Driving at 240 km/h no longer feels like taking your life into your hands.

The STI is fantastic. Just as quick as the GenCoupe. Lots easier to drive fast since it feels tighter. But it's coarse, unrefined and clunky. One-track mind lang. In other words, its mind is always on the racetrack.

The Mustang is fantastic in a straight line. But while it's not a one-trick pony, as it handles decently, consider whether it's too much car for Metro Manila... sayang lang having all that power if you can only uncork it for one or two seconds at a time before catching up with more traffic. Needs lots of space to stretch its legs. More than any other car here.

nice review.

Now, If you do the dagdag bawas thing on the pro vs cons.

Ford Mustang V8 +1
    Hyundai Genesis Coupe +3
    Mazda MX5 +1
    MINI Cooper S JCW +3
    Mitsubishi EVO X 0
    Subaru STI -1
    Toyota 86 +1

Was able to sit on an 86 sa dealer. First thing to come into mind was ang liit ng interior, Original Miata ang una pumasok sa mind ko. Moreorless same size interior as a MINI. Now kung naliliitan si TS sa MINI maliit din interior nito. It did put a smirk in my face. Kasi a small light car is a fun car and very driver oriented and anything with a tachometer in front of you should be serious driving machine. Seat - more leaned on racing than sports seats. Nawala nga lang lahat ng magic when I got out. Asked the SA if meron offered na manual. Wala daw. Asked kelan mag kakaaron. Matic na lang daw. The best part about the 86 was its manual transmission then wala pa. kaya pala when I see 86 drivers on the street most if the time laging 2 hands on the steering wheel. Now if you really want the 86. Go get its evil twin. Mag BRZ ka na lang.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast